Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • phomfray2017
    • By phomfray2017 19th May 17, 11:42 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    phomfray2017
    Maternity Allowance help
    • 19th May 17, 11:42 AM
    Maternity Allowance help 19th May 17 at 11:42 AM
    Hello

I am an expecting first time mother (due date 19 June 2017). I have not been in paid employment since April 2016, therefore I am not entitled to Statutory Maternity Pay. I also cannot claim JSA as my 'contributions' are not enough.
    Since March 2017 to now I have been earning £50 a week for helping a friend with paperwork and get paid cash. My partner is employed on £30k per annum.

I have filled in an online calculator on gov.uk and it states i can claim maternity allowance. Having read further into the eligibility criteria for maternity allowance, it states you "to get the full amount of Maternity Allowance, you must have paid Class 2 National Insurance for at least 13 of the 66 weeks before your babyís due.". The current rate is £2.85 a week * 13 weeks = £37.05.

If I pay this, i assume as a self assessment, and bearing in mind that my total income from 1 April 2016 to 01 Aptil 2017 is only £50 per week from March 2017 so no income tax, can I claim Maternity allowance after having paid the class 2 national insurance contributions?

Is there any specific period you can claim maternity allowance from and until?

Or have i completely got the wrong end of the stick?

Here are my answers to the online Maternity allowance on gov.uk
    ----------------------------------------------
    Will you care for the child with a partner? Yes Change answer to "Will you care for the child with a partner?"
    When is the baby due? 19 June 2017 Change answer to "When is the baby due?"
    Whatís the employment status of the mother? Self-employed Change answer to "Whatís the employment status of the mother?"
    Whatís the employment status of the motherís partner? Employee Change answer to "Whatís the employment status of the motherís partner?"
    Did the mother work (or will she have worked) for at least 26 weeks in this job between 13 March 2016 and 17 June 2017? Yes Change answer to "Did the mother work (or will she have worked) for at least 26 weeks in this job between 13 March 2016 and 17 June 2017?"
    Did the mother earn (or will she have earned) a total of £390 or more in any 13 weeks of this job between 13 March 2016 and 17 June 2017? Yes Change answer to "Did the mother earn (or will she have earned) a total of £390 or more in any 13 weeks of this job between 13 March 2016 and 17 June 2017?"
    How much did the mother earn in this job between 13 March 2016 and 17 June 2017? £50 per week Change answer to "How much did the mother earn in this job between 13 March 2016 and 17 June 2017?"
    Did the motherís partner start their current or most recent job before 17 September 2016? Yes Change answer to "Did the motherís partner start their current or most recent job before 17 September 2016?"
    Was the motherís partner (or will they be) still working in that job on 5 March 2017? Yes Change answer to "Was the motherís partner (or will they be) still working in that job on 5 March 2017?"
    How much does the motherís partner earn in this job (or did they earn, if theyíve left the job)? £2,300 per month Change answer to "How much does the motherís partner earn in this job (or did they earn, if theyíve left the job)?"
    Has the motherís partner earned (or will they have earned) more than £112 per week in this job between 14 January 2017 and 11 March 2017? Yes
Page 1
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 19th May 17, 6:24 PM
    • 3,251 Posts
    • 2,477 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 19th May 17, 6:24 PM
    • 19th May 17, 6:24 PM
    According to this https://www.gov.uk/maternity-allowance/eligibility
    You claim the allowance and you will receive a letter with details for paying if you are eligible to do so.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

2,408Users online

Martin's Twitter