Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stoopyftm
    • By stoopyftm 19th May 17, 11:29 AM
    • 16Posts
    • 0Thanks
    stoopyftm
    Information on which pensions you have and with who
    • 19th May 17, 11:29 AM
    Information on which pensions you have and with who 19th May 17 at 11:29 AM
    Hi all,

I've had quite a few jobs over the years with pensions so I've got bits and pieces all over the place and would like to consolidate all of my pensions into one.

The only problem is I don't know what they all are - is there anywhere I can find out which pensions I hold and with who?

Cheers
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 19th May 17, 11:45 AM
    • 17,016 Posts
    • 11,194 Thanks
    molerat
    • 19th May 17, 11:45 AM
    • 19th May 17, 11:45 AM
    https://www.gov.uk/find-pension-contact-details
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • agarnett
    • By agarnett 19th May 17, 12:38 PM
    • 1,282 Posts
    • 535 Thanks
    agarnett
    • 19th May 17, 12:38 PM
    • 19th May 17, 12:38 PM
    Don't consolidate for the sake of it ... there is likely to be some gold in them thar' hills if neither you nor an FA have been near them since you started them and let them lie.

Good luck with the tracing.

If you get stuck with any names because insurance companies have changed name or pension schemes have been absorbed upon takeovers etc. and administrators have changed (they change frequently), then don't hesitate to drop a few names in this thread - someone is bound to be able to give you some clues.

Plus the other thing you could do is to call HMRC's National Insurance Contribution Office helpline on 0300 200 3500 because they have marvellous records of your "contracted out" status going back to when you were a teenager and those records include the names of many of your pension schemes even when they have been changed or transferred into insurance policies.

Unfortunately there seems to currently be a ten week and worsening backlog on a written summary of everything including your Guaranteed Minimum Pension entitlements within contracted out arrangements, but if you have a pen and paper with you when you call, and just want to be reminded of the names and maybe current scheme contact details they will take time to relay to you what they can see on screen once they have identified you fully with NI number etc etc.

When you call, don't be put off by the automated answering system that says you must talk to your pension scheme. When asked by the computer why you are calling say "Guaranteed Minimum Pension" or "Contracted Out" or "GMP" and say yes to answering a survey at the end as it seems to get you put through quicker

I have seen 0300 200 3507 elsewhere but goes to same switchboard I think.
    Last edited by agarnett; 19-05-2017 at 12:57 PM.
    • stoopyftm
    • By stoopyftm 19th May 17, 4:01 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    stoopyftm
    • 19th May 17, 4:01 PM
    • 19th May 17, 4:01 PM
    Thank you for the replies.

The reason I want to consolidate is that the amounts are only very small and I don't think they are worth much on their own, just want to put everything in the same place.

I was hoping there would be somewhere you could find the pensions from your identity, but obviously not, it's going to be a bit of an ache tracing them as some of the companies I worked for are now defunct or even the names they went under are a bit ambiguous but I will give it a go and see what happens.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 19th May 17, 4:38 PM
    • 89,537 Posts
    • 54,989 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 19th May 17, 4:38 PM
    • 19th May 17, 4:38 PM
    Just use the Govt pension tracing service then.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • agarnett
    • By agarnett 20th May 17, 9:27 AM
    • 1,282 Posts
    • 535 Thanks
    agarnett
    • 20th May 17, 9:27 AM
    • 20th May 17, 9:27 AM
    I was hoping there would be somewhere you could find the pensions from your identity, but obviously not, ...
    Originally posted by stoopyftm
    Yes there should have been a government dashboard service set up years ago for that, but it would have made it harder for financial corporations to operate their "schemes" in the glare of transparency.

Meantime you might well be surprised how many you can find by just chatting up the customer service agent on the HMRC NICO helpline I mentioned.

Be prepared with your own list of possibles and gaps when you call however, because I think they are working under a whip right now because backlogs are so enormous - they are under pressure not to spend too long on each call.
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 20th May 17, 1:03 PM
    • 5,206 Posts
    • 4,376 Thanks
    mgdavid
    • 20th May 17, 1:03 PM
    • 20th May 17, 1:03 PM
    Thank you for the replies.

The reason I want to consolidate is that the amounts are only very small and I don't think they are worth much on their own, just want to put everything in the same place.

I was hoping there would be somewhere you could find the pensions from your identity, but obviously not, it's going to be a bit of an ache tracing them as some of the companies I worked for are now defunct or even the names they went under are a bit ambiguous but I will give it a go and see what happens.
    Originally posted by stoopyftm
    I guess this implies you haven't kept any details or annual statements of past pensions. Hopefully you have, or can compile, a list of your employers with start and leaving dates, as something to work from.
    A salary slave no more.....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,212Posts Today

8,212Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @KCMurdarasi: @MartinSLewis Only 2 fluently, but I can struggle by in another 5 or so. And ask the way to the toilet in about 10 - you d?

• Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• Follow Martin