Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jeff_chandler
    • By jeff_chandler 19th May 17, 10:09 AM
    • 141Posts
    • 22Thanks
    jeff_chandler
    0 WOW
    Bulgaria
    • 19th May 17, 10:09 AM
    0 WOW
    Bulgaria 19th May 17 at 10:09 AM
    Good morning all.

I am in the process of looking for a late deal on holidays. I have seen a cheap booking for Bulgaria on the 5th June in the Sunny Beach resort. The Hotel has very good ratings on trip advisor but there is nothing mentioned about Sunny Beach as a resort.

If there is anyone on here who has recently or visited in recent years visited this resort and how safe is it and what prices are like compared to euroland It would be more than appreciated.

Kind regards jeff
Page 1
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 19th May 17, 11:09 AM
    • 734 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    Ganga
    • 19th May 17, 11:09 AM
    • 19th May 17, 11:09 AM
    Good morning all.

I am in the process of looking for a late deal on holidays. I have seen a cheap booking for Bulgaria on the 5th June in the Sunny Beach resort. The Hotel has very good ratings on trip advisor but there is nothing mentioned about Sunny Beach as a resort.

If there is anyone on here who has recently or visited in recent years visited this resort and how safe is it and what prices are like compared to euroland It would be more than appreciated.

Kind regards jeff
    Originally posted by jeff_chandler
    Never been ( grandchildren are off there in July ) but i was told it was always very cheap compared with Euro destinations in fact was told its cheaper than Turkey.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • michele-p
    • By michele-p 19th May 17, 11:44 AM
    • 640 Posts
    • 689 Thanks
    michele-p
    • 19th May 17, 11:44 AM
    • 19th May 17, 11:44 AM
    around 10 years ago went to neighbouring resort in Nessibar (which was beautiful!).

I've not been since, but Sunny beach is quite a big, built up resort. the beach is fab and huge, but maybe think Benidorm type hotels and entertainment. I think it's become pretty big for partying with young people, as it's so cheap (god I sound ancient at 41!). Though June would be fairly early season, so maybe quieter? There are lots of very new big hotels there too, which looked very plush.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 19th May 17, 5:42 PM
    • 684 Posts
    • 537 Thanks
    z1a
    • 19th May 17, 5:42 PM
    • 19th May 17, 5:42 PM
    Change your cash on the black market for a far better rate, just be careful who you deal with. We did this when we went and got 3X going rate. Just don't get caught.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 19th May 17, 8:08 PM
    • 10,300 Posts
    • 6,605 Thanks
    bigadaj
    • 19th May 17, 8:08 PM
    • 19th May 17, 8:08 PM
    Good morning all.

Kind regards jeff
    Originally posted by jeff_chandler
    It's the Black Sea alternative to magaluf or Ayia Napa, if that's your thing.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 19th May 17, 8:14 PM
    • 12,349 Posts
    • 10,354 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 19th May 17, 8:14 PM
    • 19th May 17, 8:14 PM
    Change your cash on the black market for a far better rate, just be careful who you deal with. We did this when we went and got 3X going rate. Just don't get caught.
    Originally posted by z1a
    What? What rate did you get? The Lev is fixed to the Euro and freely exchangeable. If you got a much better rate than the fixed rate I suspect you got forged notes. Either that or your idea of the "going rate" is the sort of rip-off rate offered on the UK high street. Should be about 2.25 to the £
    Last edited by zagfles; 19-05-2017 at 8:18 PM.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 19th May 17, 8:40 PM
    • 684 Posts
    • 537 Thanks
    z1a
    • 19th May 17, 8:40 PM
    • 19th May 17, 8:40 PM
    When we went we got 4.5 Lev to the £ - official rate was 1.4.
    No we didn't get forged notes, I'm not stupid.
    We changed on black market for at least 10 days, but we knew who to change with.
    • jeff_chandler
    • By jeff_chandler 19th May 17, 9:00 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    jeff_chandler
    • 19th May 17, 9:00 PM
    • 19th May 17, 9:00 PM
    No squabbling please.
    Were a couple in our early 60s who has been most places but willing to try somewhere different. We have done all the long haul places but we do enjoy at least three foreign breaks a year.
    I was looking at Greece but been there many times and Turkey is out the question at the moment. Bulgaria came up cheap, which the late deals offered we couldn't refuse. The Hotel is in a quiet surrounds about ten mins walk from the centre. All we want is a few quiet bars, good beers and wines regardless of the cost as long as we don't get ripped off.
    All I ask is a rough idea as to what we can expect.
    Kind regards
    Jeff.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 20th May 17, 9:45 AM
    • 12,349 Posts
    • 10,354 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 20th May 17, 9:45 AM
    • 20th May 17, 9:45 AM
    When we went we got 4.5 Lev to the £ - official rate was 1.4.
    No we didn't get forged notes, I'm not stupid.
    We changed on black market for at least 10 days, but we knew who to change with.
    Originally posted by z1a
    You're either talking ancient history (last century) or there was something dodgy (forged notes, money laundering etc etc).

The Lev has been pegged to the Euro since the Euro came into existence, and before that to the German Mark. The "official rate" is fixed at 1.95583 to the Euro, which is over 2 GBP, so 1.4 is just rubbish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulgarian_lev

Why would any black marketeer want to pay 4.5 lev for every £ when he could just walk into any bank and pay less than 2.5?

If you could really get 4.5 lev to the pound, then go over there and buy loads, you can sell them back at around 2.5 at UK high street banks! Or less at other currency places! Go on - you'll double your money!

https://www.compareholidaymoney.com/sell-currency/bulgarian-lev.php

OP - ignore this. Bulgaria is now in the modern world and has been for the last couple of decades. For currency use a free free card, see http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money
    • DUKE
    • By DUKE 20th May 17, 3:36 PM
    • 6,975 Posts
    • 286,358 Thanks
    DUKE
    https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g499086-i9527-Sunny_Beach_Burgas_Province.html Is this any good Jeff?
    Thanks everyone!
    • z1a
    • By z1a 20th May 17, 4:08 PM
    • 684 Posts
    • 537 Thanks
    z1a
    "You're either talking ancient history (last century) or there was something dodgy (forged notes, money laundering etc etc)."

Yes, was 1986.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 20th May 17, 11:00 PM
    • 12,349 Posts
    • 10,354 Thanks
    zagfles
    "You're either talking ancient history (last century) or there was something dodgy (forged notes, money laundering etc etc)."

Yes, was 1986.
    Originally posted by z1a
    Did you really think the situation in 1986 is in any way relevant to now? Eastern European countries are no longer communist dictatorships under the "protection" of the Soviets. The Berlin wall came down in 1989.
    • missg2210
    • By missg2210 22nd May 17, 2:19 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    missg2210
    Went in 2009 when it was up and coming. A young area full of Russians but very cheap. I think I would go back and see how it's changed
    • chergar
    • By chergar 29th May 17, 2:48 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    chergar
    We went to Sunny Beach two years ago and are going back this summer. It is cheap, much cheaper than Greece. We went all inclusive as we got a really good deal but we still went out and about to eat/drink.

Don't be put off by the horror stories you may hear of !!!!! and gypsies and sex bars, the stories are all exaggerated. We did see some 'adult' bars but the place isn't over run with them.

There is a good mix of people of all ages and nationalities, it isn't full of British tourists.

The shops are a bit like a large market area selling all sorts of things, you can get good quality fake designer brands if that is something you want.

Regarding changing money, we take our Clarity came d and lift what we need from the cash machines, if you do take cash and want to change it stick to the crown exchanges or your hotel, stay away from the 'black market' back street places as you will be ripped off.

Haggling is mot really acceptable in the shops either, prices are so low that you don't need to haggle, if you are buying a liad if tshirts or whatever by all means ask for a discount but they might only give you 10-20%

We found Bulgaria very safe, there are pickpockets active but just be sensible, keep valuables zipped up and out of sight. If you mean safety terrorism wise then as you know nowhere can be guaranteed as safe but as far as I csn see the threat level there us lower than in Britain (even before last week's attack).

If you are getting a good deal and want to try something different then go for it 👍

What hotel are you looking at?
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 29th May 17, 5:25 PM
    • 12,349 Posts
    • 10,354 Thanks
    zagfles
    Not been to Sunny Beach but been to Sofia, and using the Clarity was just like anywhere else.

A common scam in Eastern Europe is a couple of attractive girls come up to you and get chatting, and suggest going to a bar where the drinks are a rip-off price. Obviously they target single men or a male group, rather than couples.

Watch out for fake designer brands, not sure of the law in Bulgaria but in some countries there are massive fines for buying fake designer brands, in France and Italy for instance people have been fined around 10,000 euros! Also I think UK customs can confiscate them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,823Posts Today

9,302Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Yes. Theyre being paid. They're responsible. Especially for a scam that's been reported over 20 times andseen vulne? https://t.co/Q0pHZ7iH3W

• Quite right.Broken system as the six week delay forces the most vulnerable into debt at a crisis moment https://t.co/951fogq5ej

• This is a good brief summary of the evidence I have to the lords on the problems with our student finance system... https://t.co/LQqggZMlgH

• Follow Martin