Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • luvleighr
    • By luvleighr 19th May 17, 9:22 AM
    • 18Posts
    • 2Thanks
    luvleighr
    Right to Buy Process - Regulatory body?
    • 19th May 17, 9:22 AM
    Right to Buy Process - Regulatory body? 19th May 17 at 9:22 AM
    [SIZE="4"]I applied for the RTB in February 2016 and have a completion date of Monday 22nd May - 15 months later.

I have submitted all required documents in a timely manner but there has been a catalogue of delays with the council.

I received an email yesterday saying that I owe the council money on a previous rent account due to an overpayment of housing benefit. (>£4k) which they have payed to themselves at the same time I was paying rent, plus another £1.7k for something else that I don't recognise, and they want that paying on completion (on Monday).

The problem I have is that it is unlikely to be resolved in the 2 working days that are left and I am going to struggle to find that money at such short notice.

The council have said that no extension will be granted and if the sale is not completed on that date, I will need to reapply.

This seems grossly unfair considering the length of time it has taken for them to process the application and then with days to go, making a random request for money without explanation.

Is there a regulatory body who oversee the RTB process and would I have recourse to compensation if it doesn't complete, as they have taken an unreasonable amount of time and I have, of course, been paying rent for the extended period?

Any advice would be very gratefully received!

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 19th May 17, 9:41 AM
    • 5,447 Posts
    • 5,179 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 19th May 17, 9:41 AM
    • 19th May 17, 9:41 AM
    You really need to clarify what it is they're asking for first - the fact you "don't recognise" the £1.7k doesn't mean it's not due, and it is reasonable for them to expect all outstanding sums to be paid at completion.
    I doubt you'd get any compensation merely because you end up renting for a longer period than you intended.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 19th May 17, 9:54 AM
    • 933 Posts
    • 2,047 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 19th May 17, 9:54 AM
    • 19th May 17, 9:54 AM
    Do you agree that you owe the £4K? What do they state the other amount is for?

The authority has a duty to protect the public purse. I'm sure you would think it grossly unfair for someone to be offered a large discount when they are already in debt to the authority?
    • luvleighr
    • By luvleighr 19th May 17, 10:29 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    luvleighr
    • 19th May 17, 10:29 AM
    • 19th May 17, 10:29 AM
    Thank you Davidmcn & IAmWales. I agree with both your points about settling monies due & protecting the public purse...absolutely.

I have a rent statement showing the £4k as credit in my previous rent account; as I said, they have paid it to themselves so no, I don't owe it.

The £1.7k states 'rent account' - I'm not being flippant in saying I don't recognise what it's for...I will clearly need to clarify & have my conveyancer looking into that today. But time is ticking away and I'm concerned that I won't have time to deal with these issues before the completion date.
    • luvleighr
    • By luvleighr 19th May 17, 10:33 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    luvleighr
    • 19th May 17, 10:33 AM
    • 19th May 17, 10:33 AM
    You really need to clarify what it is they're asking for first - the fact you "don't recognise" the £1.7k doesn't mean it's not due, and it is reasonable for them to expect all outstanding sums to be paid at completion.
    I doubt you'd get any compensation merely because you end up renting for a longer period than you intended.
    Originally posted by davidmcn
    ...and the compensation question was in respect of the unreasonable and unnecessary length of time taken to finalise. Thanks
    • aneary
    • By aneary 19th May 17, 10:34 AM
    • 321 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    aneary
    • 19th May 17, 10:34 AM
    • 19th May 17, 10:34 AM
    Can you not ask for a break down or call and ask what 'Rent account' means?
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 19th May 17, 10:50 AM
    • 5,447 Posts
    • 5,179 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 19th May 17, 10:50 AM
    • 19th May 17, 10:50 AM
    ...and the compensation question was in respect of the unreasonable and unnecessary length of time taken to finalise.
    Originally posted by luvleighr
    But what's your loss?
    • G_M
    • By G_M 19th May 17, 11:02 AM
    • 40,197 Posts
    • 45,946 Thanks
    G_M
    • 19th May 17, 11:02 AM
    • 19th May 17, 11:02 AM
    Have you read

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/607054/Your_Right_to_Buy_Your_Home_A_Guide_April_2017.pdf

?
    • luvleighr
    • By luvleighr 19th May 17, 11:26 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    luvleighr
    • 19th May 17, 11:26 AM
    • 19th May 17, 11:26 AM
    Aneary, thank you. My conveyancer has emailed a letter to the local authority this morning requesting an explanation.

Davidmcm, thank you. My losses are the months of rent I have had to pay beyond the reasonable amount of time it should take to complete the process. Do you think 15 months is acceptable when there have been no exceptional circumstances or delays in providing information requested? I knew it would take some months but 15 is more than I, or anybody else I've spoken to expected it would take. I'd appreciate your comments.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 19th May 17, 11:36 AM
    • 5,447 Posts
    • 5,179 Thanks
    davidmcn
    My losses are the months of rent I have had to pay beyond the reasonable amount of time it should take to complete the process.
    But that isn't a loss. You've had occupation of the property in exchange for the rent, as well as the council still having all of their obligations as landlord for repairs etc. And when your rent stops, your mortgage payments start (and/or the loss of interest on the cash you're paying for the price).

And when was the price decided? What's happened to property values since then?
    • luvleighr
    • By luvleighr 19th May 17, 11:44 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    luvleighr
    But that isn't a loss. You've had occupation of the property in exchange for the rent, as well as the council still having all of their obligations as landlord for repairs etc. And when your rent stops, your mortgage payments start (and/or the loss of interest on the cash you're paying for the price).

The government clearly do think it's a loss as I've just read. If the council don't make 'reasonable progress' toward completing the sale, the cost of rent paid beyond that reasonable time, can be taken off the sale price.
    • luvleighr
    • By luvleighr 19th May 17, 11:45 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    luvleighr

...and they are only responsible for repairs deemed to be emergencies from the time the RTB application is received.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 19th May 17, 11:52 AM
    • 933 Posts
    • 2,047 Thanks
    IAmWales
    The government clearly do think it's a loss as I've just read. If the council don't make 'reasonable progress' toward completing the sale, the cost of rent paid beyond that reasonable time, can be taken off the sale price.
    I was sympathetic but now it comes across that you're out for what you can get. Do you see people buying private properties acting like this? Poor form
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 19th May 17, 11:57 AM
    • 2,575 Posts
    • 3,536 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    The housing benefit department is not the same as the housing department so although you say that they paid housing benefit to themselves this in not quite true.

One thing though worries me about this whole thread. If you need a mortgage to buy this property do you understand that you won't get any housing benefit to pay the mortgage if you are unable to pay it? Housing benefit is only paid if you are renting. If you have a mortgage the only thing you are likely to get is to have the interest on the mortgage paid for a short time. If you continue to be unable to pay the mortgage the bank will repossess the property. I hope you understand this because it appears from your answers on this thread that you don't really understand about financial aspects in your life.

The council may actually be doing you a favour by delaying the sale of the property to you.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 19th May 17, 11:59 AM
    • 292 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    sevenhills
    I was sympathetic but now it comes across that you're out for what you can get. Do you see people buying private properties acting like this? Poor form
    Originally posted by IAmWales
    After the "must do this within 8 weeks", the council, in my case, seem to wait for the next RTB6 letter, they do not follow the 8 week rule, but drag it out as long as possible.
    But I am happy to get £35k discount, so I overlook the councils failings.
    I was surprised with the low valuation too, so I am well happy.
    • luvleighr
    • By luvleighr 19th May 17, 1:10 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    luvleighr
    I don't seem to be getting myself across very well :/

Cakeguts...Yes, I'm aware of the responsibility of a mortgage; I've not claimed HB for many years; they were paying it in error, and I was paying my full rent at the same time that the overpayment was happening...hence the substantial credit in my rent account. The overpayment has only recently come to light.

Also, whilst the Housing Dept & HB Dept are not exactly the same; they are inextricably linked and there is a lot of overlap in dealings with the two.

I appreciate your concern though; thank you
    • luvleighr
    • By luvleighr 19th May 17, 1:20 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    luvleighr
    Originally posted by IAmWales

My comments, on which you've made your inaccurate judgement, were about information I found on the .gov website & were made to demonstrate to you that there is deemed to be a loss in this situation.

They are not actions that I have taken though I would have been within my rights to do so. I'm not sure that, had I taken that route, it would warrant the label of being 'out for what I can get'
    Last edited by luvleighr; 19-05-2017 at 1:23 PM. Reason: Got posts mixed up & made inaccurate comment
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 19th May 17, 2:54 PM
    • 3,567 Posts
    • 2,239 Thanks
    csgohan4
    In Summary, the OP is already getting a substantial discount at the tax payers expense and is asking for compensation because of 'having to pay' for a roof over their head longer than they deem necessary.

If only I could buy a house in 1 day, the rent I could save, oh yes.

More worryingly, it seems you have no savings at all. Do you know you are liable for all maintenance when you buy the house? Do you know how much a new boiler costs or a new roof?

Clearly the OP saw the large discount and dived in without seeing what's under the water.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • luvleighr
    • By luvleighr 19th May 17, 5:33 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    luvleighr
    This clearly wasn't the right place for me to get advice. A few of you have made disparaging remarks without having a real idea of my situation.

I didn't realise this was a political forum.
    • SnooksNJ
    • By SnooksNJ 19th May 17, 6:09 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    SnooksNJ
    This clearly wasn't the right place for me to get advice. A few of you have made disparaging remarks without having a real idea of my situation.

I didn't realise this was a political forum.
    I would have to say it's more of a taxpayer forum.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,708Posts Today

7,615Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin