Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Emma_LW
    • By Emma_LW 19th May 17, 8:41 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Emma_LW
    ISA Confusion
    • 19th May 17, 8:41 AM
    ISA Confusion 19th May 17 at 8:41 AM
    About 2 years ago my dad gave me £33,000, and until recently it's been sitting in a very low interest savings account since then. At the start of this month I put £20,000 of it into a 1.4% ISA.

However now I'm having a bit of a worry. Was it okay for my Dad to give me that much money in one go? And is it okay that I've now put it in an ISA?

Sorry if these questions seem silly, I don't have much know-how when it comes to finances and I'm worried about being fined or prosecuted for inadvertently breaking the rules.

Thanks for your help!

Emma
Page 1
    • greenglide
    • By greenglide 19th May 17, 9:43 AM
    • 2,712 Posts
    • 1,719 Thanks
    greenglide
    • 19th May 17, 9:43 AM
    • 19th May 17, 9:43 AM
    It is perfectly alright for your father to give you money and it is alright to put some of the money into an ISA.

The gift (assuming it was a true gift) could cause problems should the unthinkable happen and your father should die or require long term care in the next seven years.

Whether it is the best thing to do we cannot say but a cash ISA may well not be the best home for it. You can earn up to 5% on current accounts and regular savers these days.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

398Posts Today

4,576Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin