Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rubble2
    • By rubble2 19th May 17, 8:36 AM
    • 235Posts
    • 41Thanks
    rubble2
    Good quality/durable USB cables
    • 19th May 17, 8:36 AM
    Good quality/durable USB cables 19th May 17 at 8:36 AM
    Anybody got any recommendation for good quality USB charging cables (USB A to micro) please?

I have bought (relatively) expensive cables in the past, and also ones from the pound shop and to be honest it seems that no matter how much or little you pay the lifespan is pretty random.
    Most seem to last anything from a few weeks to a few months, Are there any brands I should go for that have a better than average survival rate?

I do not expose them to any particular hardship, in fact they hardly get touched apart from plugging in and out of the device to be charged but I have yet to find one that lasts.

Thanks
Page 1
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 19th May 17, 8:38 AM
    • 2,376 Posts
    • 1,541 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 19th May 17, 8:38 AM
    • 19th May 17, 8:38 AM
    Why not just buy 5 from the pound shop ?
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 19th May 17, 8:43 AM
    • 29,345 Posts
    • 18,555 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 19th May 17, 8:43 AM
    • 19th May 17, 8:43 AM
    Anker is a good make.

I bought an Amazon basics one which didnt last long, opened the casing and a cable needs resoldering hence why it stopped working.

How are you disconnectjng the cable from the device, I presume your not pulling the cable but pulling the piece of plastic.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 19th May 17, 10:19 AM
    • 1,739 Posts
    • 1,056 Thanks
    DavidP24
    • 19th May 17, 10:19 AM
    • 19th May 17, 10:19 AM
    Why not just buy 5 from the pound shop ?
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    That would be my approach
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 19th May 17, 10:22 AM
    • 1,739 Posts
    • 1,056 Thanks
    DavidP24
    • 19th May 17, 10:22 AM
    • 19th May 17, 10:22 AM
    Anker is a good make.

I bought an Amazon basics one which didnt last long, opened the casing and a cable needs resoldering hence why it stopped working.

How are you disconnectjng the cable from the device, I presume your not pulling the cable but pulling the piece of plastic.
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    This video seems to reflect that but the reviews on Amazon show that some of their chargers caught fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbJD54XsZmM
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 19th May 17, 11:19 AM
    • 11,172 Posts
    • 6,210 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 19th May 17, 11:19 AM
    • 19th May 17, 11:19 AM
    I've started using braided cables, bought from China at around 60p each. They seem to have a very low voltage drop (relevant if you understand how phones/tablets control their charge current) and charge all my stuff at full speed.

Only problem is they're quite inflexible, the cable is supposed to be sacrificial part. If you trip on the lead, or catch it on something, it should break before your phone does, but these braided cables would happily rip your phone apart under those circumstance..
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • were
    • By were 19th May 17, 11:53 AM
    • 416 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    were
    • 19th May 17, 11:53 AM
    • 19th May 17, 11:53 AM
    around 2014 i bought 3x https://www.amazon.co.uk/JuicEBitz-Charger-Android-Tablets-BlackBerry/dp/B010XWJBRC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495190149&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+cables+2m+JuicEBitz

These cables have thicker wire, so charge the mobile somewhat quicker. the one i use at home gets used daily, the one i have at work gets used 5/7 days, and the one in the car used not that much. they still all click into place at the phone end and all work.

which ever one you buy, make sure it has thicker copper wires, rather than thinner ones. Yes, quality cables do make a difference, the problem is when you cant see the quality, and end up paying £ for nothing
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 19th May 17, 12:17 PM
    • 12,956 Posts
    • 11,032 Thanks
    paddyrg
    • 19th May 17, 12:17 PM
    • 19th May 17, 12:17 PM
    Aukey, Anker are both good if you get genuine ones. I am also quite impressed with JuiceBank Premium range http://www.properjob.biz/Charger_Cable_Premium_1m_Usb-M4279 ones - they're braided and quite stiff - but that's a good sign of having thicker conductor cables. I've had no problems using them with QuickCharge 3.0 devices, whereas some cheapo cables have too little conductor to cope. And available in boring black, poncey white, ouchthatsvery turquoise and woweeenowthatswhaticall pink ;-)
    • jshm2
    • By jshm2 19th May 17, 5:23 PM
    • 255 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    jshm2
    • 19th May 17, 5:23 PM
    • 19th May 17, 5:23 PM
    Just like HDMI cables there is little difference between the cheapest and most expensive when it comes to home use.

Sure you can buy over engineered if you like, but there is no guarantee how long a cable will last.
    • I have spoken
    • By I have spoken 19th May 17, 5:52 PM
    • 4,782 Posts
    • 9,503 Thanks
    I have spoken
    Belkin Duratek are good - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Duratek-Micro-USB-Samsung-Charged/dp/B01MS14M96
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 19th May 17, 8:02 PM
    • 6,765 Posts
    • 17,893 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I've bought Belkin, and been very happy with the results, but I also routinely buy from pound shops & bin as soon as they start getting erratic. Also eBay do mindbending cheap but again, bin as soon as they start giving uncertainty.
    Better to have a box of brand new good to go cables than all your hopes on one that decides to go wibble...
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 19th May 17, 8:17 PM
    • 670 Posts
    • 460 Thanks
    dj1471
    Just like HDMI cables there is little difference between the cheapest and most expensive when it comes to home use.
    Originally posted by jshm2
    When it comes to charging the quality of cable can make a big difference.

I've had a cheap cable that didn't work for charging at all and another that did work but failed to fully charge the device after 24 hours.

Using an Android app like Ampere you can see how much current your device is getting, when trying different cables you can see the difference.

Agree with the manufacturer suggestions given so far, I'd also add Choetech into the mix - I bought one of their fast chargers and very happy with it and the cable it came with.

You need to check reviews from people who know what they're talking about to see if a cable's any good - buying an expensive one guarantees nothing and it's entirely possible the ones from the pound shop are fine.
    • rubble2
    • By rubble2 20th May 17, 12:49 PM
    • 235 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    rubble2
    Thanks for all the advice.

Having checked the reviews on amazon for some of the manufacturers recommended on here there doesn't seem to be any that don't have negative feedback regarding longevity. I think as a first option I will take the option of buying multiple cheap cables and therefore always having a spare.

See how I go from there
    Last edited by rubble2; 20-05-2017 at 1:52 PM.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 22nd May 17, 12:30 PM
    • 6,881 Posts
    • 2,735 Thanks
    almillar
    I would say that the amount of current they will carry is a BIG difference. They could be 0.5A, up to 2A or so. That would make a BIG difference to charging times.
    Using an Android app like Ampere you can see how much current your device is getting, when trying different cables you can see the difference.
    Exactly what I use. Anyone know of an iOS alternative?
    • toshi
    • By toshi 22nd May 17, 10:37 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    toshi
    I would say that the amount of current they will carry is a BIG difference. They could be 0.5A, up to 2A or so. That would make a BIG difference to charging times.
    Originally posted by almillar
    Exactly! If your charger and mobile support fast charging (5V 2A), you may want to get a quick charge compatible cable at least.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20170522133224& SearchText=micro+usb+5V2A

Does USB cable quality matter?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcX-Yzpc8LE

http://www.androidauthority.com/quick-charge-explained-563838/
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 23rd May 17, 4:23 PM
    • 12,956 Posts
    • 11,032 Thanks
    paddyrg
    The one I linked is rated to 3A, and I think that's probably accurate seeing how it's a stiffer cable. Yes, certainly worthwhile, and cheap cables can have incredibly thin conductors. It's not like an HDMI (signal) cable where the only thing that matters is if the data is making it through intact, this is for power transfer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

164Posts Today

1,134Users online

Martin's Twitter