Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Whoknowskt89
    • By Whoknowskt89 18th May 17, 11:00 PM
    • 240Posts
    • 553Thanks
    Whoknowskt89
    Nottinghamshire - good but affordable areas?
    • 18th May 17, 11:00 PM
    Nottinghamshire - good but affordable areas? 18th May 17 at 11:00 PM
    Hi all

I'm looking at moving to Nottinghamshire way, hopefully by 2020.
    Can anyone recommend a decent area where a house with garden and off road parking can be purchased for under 200k?

I'd love to end up in an area like my parents have - one neighbour sells their chicken eggs and just places them and a jar for the money outside and another does similar with plants and the money or goods are never stolen.

I'm trying to get as much information as early as possible so I have the time to look into the areas and make sure it is somewhere I'd feel comfortable living. I understand prices and areas may change but any recommendations with today's market?

Thanks in advance!
    Mortgage £67 739
    Credit card 0% £370 (1more pay day to go)
    Emergency fund £743/£1000
    Christmas fund £60/£160
    Savings aim (including EF fund) Jan 2018 £3050 Jan 2019 £9450
    Updated 5/6
Page 1
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 19th May 17, 12:17 AM
    • 9,090 Posts
    • 11,375 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 19th May 17, 12:17 AM
    • 19th May 17, 12:17 AM

I'd love to end up in an area like my parents have - one neighbour sells their chicken eggs and just places them and a jar for the money outside and another does similar with plants and the money or goods are never stolen.
    Originally posted by Whoknowskt89
    Neighbour in Brentwood used to do the same. And I saw a house in Leigh-on-Sea doing it too. I think it's pretty common, but no idea how much gets nicked! There was always stuff there when I walked past.

I'd suggest Newark-on-Trent. My friend used to live in Bancroft Road (her mum has since bought the house). There's one for sale there: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-66423470.html They were in Valley Prospect before that which was very nice. Nearby house: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-66116816.html

Always had lovely times in Newark Not too sure on its reputation now... presume it's okay!

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms
    • Whoknowskt89
    • By Whoknowskt89 19th May 17, 7:45 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 553 Thanks
    Whoknowskt89
    • 19th May 17, 7:45 AM
    • 19th May 17, 7:45 AM
    Thanks hazyjo.
    I'm not far from Leigh on Sea at the moment... In the few years I've been here I've had my car wing mirror broken off, motorbike knocked over, big dent left in my car, random stickers stuck on my car by who knows, friends and neighbours mugged and the more serious crime increase.
    The sort of area down here where I'd get a house like those you've listed would never be affordable and then commuting to work would end up extortionate!

The houses you've shown look great, I'll definitely be looking into the area
    Mortgage £67 739
    Christmas fund £60/£160
    Updated 5/6
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 19th May 17, 9:33 AM
    • 9,090 Posts
    • 11,375 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 19th May 17, 9:33 AM
    • 19th May 17, 9:33 AM
    Thanks hazyjo.
    I'm not far from Leigh on Sea at the moment... In the few years I've been here I've had my car wing mirror broken off, motorbike knocked over, big dent left in my car, random stickers stuck on my car by who knows, friends and neighbours mugged and the more serious crime increase.
    The sort of area down here where I'd get a house like those you've listed would never be affordable and then commuting to work would end up extortionate!

The houses you've shown look great, I'll definitely be looking into the area

Oh dear! No wonder you want to move. I always loved Newark, it's a market town. Am sure there'll be pics and info on the internet. I liked that it was very 'contained'. Central station into London too (my friend's sister actually commuted for years! ).

Only showed houses in or near to the roads I knew well. There were loads of other nice houses.

Have a nice weekend up there or something! See what you think.

Good luck!

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 19th May 17, 9:41 AM
    • 9,090 Posts
    • 11,375 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 19th May 17, 9:41 AM
    • 19th May 17, 9:41 AM
    http://www.visit-newark.co.uk/visit-newark-promotional-video/ (first bit relevant, the rest is about nearby places)
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 19th May 17, 9:58 AM
    • 807 Posts
    • 1,708 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 19th May 17, 9:58 AM
    • 19th May 17, 9:58 AM
    Newark is not what it was, not bad but certainly not what it was.

How many bedrooms are you looking for, do you have children?

How close do you want to be to Nottingham itself?

Are you looking for a village or a town?
    • Whoknowskt89
    • By Whoknowskt89 19th May 17, 10:14 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 553 Thanks
    Whoknowskt89
    • 19th May 17, 10:14 AM
    • 19th May 17, 10:14 AM
    Thanks iamwales.
    It's just me, 4 cats and tropical fish but ideally looking for a 2 double bed and a small room for an office space (whether this is a 3Rd bedroom or downstairs space doesn't matter to me).
    Basically I'd like a house that in theory I wouldn't have to move again unless by choice. I'm in a leasehold flat at the moment and never want to be in leasehold again.

Ideally, not in Nottingham city centre itself but commutable within an hour or so by car or motorbike. I'd love a more village location but I don't know if my budget would stretch to that.
    Mortgage £67 739
    Christmas fund £60/£160
    Updated 5/6
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 19th May 17, 10:39 AM
    • 807 Posts
    • 1,708 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 19th May 17, 10:39 AM
    • 19th May 17, 10:39 AM
    Have a look at Bingham, it is a town but has a good community feel, more so than most of the villages thereabouts.

Sherwood is much closer to the city but there are some lovely properties and it has a nice shopping/ social area. It is also very leafy! I could find a forever home in Sherwood.

There are a few properties in Southwell under £200K, which is absolutely lovely. It is arguable as to whether it is a village, a town or even a city!

Ravenshead has a few in your price range but it's pretty soulless.

I've looked at Linby, Papplewick, Farnsfield, and a few other villages and can't find anything under £200K.

You've also got Arnold and Hucknall that have some nice areas and some not so nice. Neither are villagey but the countryside is very accessible. West Bridgford is nice but beyond your budget.

I'll try to find some examples!
    • Whoknowskt89
    • By Whoknowskt89 19th May 17, 10:46 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 553 Thanks
    Whoknowskt89
    • 19th May 17, 10:46 AM
    • 19th May 17, 10:46 AM
    Thanks both of you! Really appreciate the advice.

At one point soon I want to look into every one, looking at crime rate, prices and the general area so I can then spend weekends adding them to the yes no maybe list so I don't make a wrong move.

I've been reccommended elsewhere Stapleford and Sandiacre. Any thoughts on those areas?
    Mortgage £67 739
    Christmas fund £60/£160
    Updated 5/6
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 19th May 17, 10:55 AM
    • 807 Posts
    • 1,708 Thanks
    IAmWales
    Bingham

Sherwood

Sherwood

No off road parking but gives an example of the character properties in the area.

Southwell

Awful for parking but this is an area where houses sell for £1m+!

Arnold

Hucknall

Hucknall

Hucknall
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 19th May 17, 10:58 AM
    • 807 Posts
    • 1,708 Thanks
    IAmWales
    Thanks both of you! Really appreciate the advice.

At one point soon I want to look into every one, looking at crime rate, prices and the general area so I can then spend weekends adding them to the yes no maybe list so I don't make a wrong move.

I've been reccommended elsewhere Stapleford and Sandiacre. Any thoughts on those areas?
    I don't know either well, but they're in the same direction as Beeston, which has some lovely parts. Bramcote is also that way. And Clifton but I wouldn't go there.
    • Grumpelstiltskin
    • By Grumpelstiltskin 19th May 17, 11:47 AM
    • 2,114 Posts
    • 2,075 Thanks
    Grumpelstiltskin
    You need to make up your mind if you want to be somewhere with easy access to mainline trains or not.

Both Newark and Nottingham have good access to London trains and Newark being on the East Coast mainline there is easy access to trains as far as Scotland.

Do you drive or are you going to be relying on buses? If it's buses do check if they run in evenings, many don't.

Nottingham has a good tram system, running as far as Hucknall in one direction.

There is a train line from Newark to Nottingham, a very rural route and it starts from the second Newark station.

I would come and stay in Newark for a few days and see what you think,
    • Whoknowskt89
    • By Whoknowskt89 19th May 17, 11:57 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 553 Thanks
    Whoknowskt89
    Thanks all. I will be relying on my car and motorbike rather than public transport so buses/trains etc won't make a difference to me.

Once I have a list of areas to check out, my plan is to visit each area, spending a weekend or more seeing the area and what is around. Hopefully talking to the locals to get a feel for the area.
    I just wanted a list first so I could check everything out and not waste my time with areas I could never afford or aren't what I'm looking for.
    Mortgage £67 739
    Christmas fund £60/£160
    Updated 5/6
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,390Posts Today

8,781Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Emloy93: @MartinSLewis I did this! It 100% works ????????

• RT @Photo_Pete: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, I'll renew mine before my 24th in September!

• Tell any 23 yr olds... you're allowed to buy a 3 year 16-25 railcard the day before your 24th birthday then it's valid until ur almost 27 RT

• Follow Martin