Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pamlc
    • By Pamlc 18th May 17, 10:13 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Pamlc
    Apply for a debit card again....!
    • 18th May 17, 10:13 PM
    Apply for a debit card again....! 18th May 17 at 10:13 PM
    Hi, I applied for a Co-op debit card earlier this year, (Feb I think), as it was the best 'cash back' card at the time. However, I've just seen the new TSB deal of 130 cashback plus other bonuses which I am interested in applying for, but wonder if I do apply for this card so quickly after moving to the Co-op, will it negatively affect my credit score? Any advice appreciated. Thank you! Pam
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 18th May 17, 10:17 PM
    • 11,617 Posts
    • 11,637 Thanks
    zx81
    • 18th May 17, 10:17 PM
    • 18th May 17, 10:17 PM
    You don't have a credit score.

There will be little impact from applying for an additional current account.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 19th May 17, 1:31 AM
    • 1,834 Posts
    • 772 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 19th May 17, 1:31 AM
    • 19th May 17, 1:31 AM
    You don't apply for debit cards. You apply for current accounts.
    What is your principal cause for concern at the possibility of your credit score being negatively affected? What credit products are you planning to apply for in the near future that you are worried will be declined as a result of any negative effect on your credit score that applying for this new current account will have?
    • Pamlc
    • By Pamlc 19th May 17, 10:06 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Pamlc
    • 19th May 17, 10:06 AM
    Thanks Ben
    • 19th May 17, 10:06 AM
    Thanks Ben. I'm not planning on applying for any credit in the near future but you never know what lies ahead and I am a very cautious person! So from what you've already said, opening a new current account should not cause me any problems although I will be arranging an overdraft (I've never been overdrawn but as I said earlier I'm ultra cautious). This is my first time using the forum so hope I'm replying in the correct way! Thank you
    • PaulW922
    • By PaulW922 21st May 17, 11:25 PM
    • 774 Posts
    • 297 Thanks
    PaulW922
    • 21st May 17, 11:25 PM
    • 21st May 17, 11:25 PM
    TSB will run a full credit search against your name which will be recorded. Some lenders reduce their internal scores/profiles where a subject has a lot of searches against them. A current account usually shows up as credit product so if you are thinking of going for a new loan or mortgage shortly you may want to hold off - but you say you aren't so it is probably not an issue. (It will also impact on the score that Experian gives you but as only you see that it doesn't matter that much).

Having said that, provided your file does not contain any recent negative information I would think that you will be ok to get the account - it is not as if you are applying for a credit card.
    • Pamlc
    • By Pamlc 22nd May 17, 10:20 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Pamlc
    • 22nd May 17, 10:20 PM
    • 22nd May 17, 10:20 PM
    Thanks very much Paul really helpful!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,917Posts Today

7,868Users online

Martin's Twitter