Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • so very confused
    • By so very confused 18th May 17, 9:53 PM
    • 969Posts
    • 2,998Thanks
    so very confused
    Increased noise from next door
    • 18th May 17, 9:53 PM
    Increased noise from next door 18th May 17 at 9:53 PM
    I have lived in my present home for about 15 years. I have had a series of neighbours families, young people, people with dogs... I have always been impressed with the lack of noise from next door. My home is semi detached on a hill and my house in approx 4 ft lower which helps with reducing noise.
    I have new neighbours move in. They have done extensive work in the house looking at the never ending stream of tradesmen and the banging and hammering. This is not a problem.
    What is a problem is that I can now hear almost every aspect of their daily life, doors opening/closing, chairs pushed away from tables, cupboards being opened, talking. I thought at first they were noisy people but the kind of noise I am hearing I am beginning to wonder if there is more to it. Is it possible that any work on the party wall could have compromised the noise levels???
    Or am I going mad?
    SCP # 034
    The 1000 emergency fund #59
Page 1
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 18th May 17, 10:10 PM
    • 612 Posts
    • 643 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 18th May 17, 10:10 PM
    • 18th May 17, 10:10 PM
    They've perhaps got new flooring, replacing carpets with wood or laminate. That would have reduced the sound absorption in the rooms as well as possibly creating a "bridge" for vibrations to travel to the party wall. A minimilast approach to furnishing, swapping curtains for blinds and so on all create spaces for sounds to echo.

If previous neighbours had carpeted, heavily furnished rooms, it's not surprising you had less noise than you do now.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 19th May 17, 8:23 AM
    • 22,125 Posts
    • 86,480 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 19th May 17, 8:23 AM
    • 19th May 17, 8:23 AM
    They may also have removed a chimney breast, Did you see large numbers of bricks in a skip, especially blackened bricks?

If they have, it's important the work was done to building regs standard, with correct supports. Maybe your council's planning dept will have details of their proposals, if they did extensive work?

However, I agree with the above poster that removing carpets and soft furnishings + adding stuff like laminates can drastically alter acoustics.
    Working subliminally.
    • Furts
    • By Furts 20th May 17, 9:27 AM
    • 3,175 Posts
    • 2,015 Thanks
    Furts
    • 20th May 17, 9:27 AM
    • 20th May 17, 9:27 AM
    A likely scenario is chasing out the party wall for new cables, switches, sockets, wall lights, heating pipes.... It only takes one small hole in their wall, and in yours, such as at joist level (where things can often be dubious) and you will have a sound issue.

There may also have been cupboards, pantry, or storage against the party wall which has now been removed. These would have provided a sound barrier.

From your perspective pull back the carpets at your party wall and seal under the skirting and at any skirting/wall junctions.
    • Furts
    • By Furts 21st May 17, 12:03 PM
    • 3,175 Posts
    • 2,015 Thanks
    Furts
    • 21st May 17, 12:03 PM
    • 21st May 17, 12:03 PM
    If you want to get a bit more technical with your analysis look at the construction of your party wall. If it is blockwork cavity wall then you have solidity and in general are onto a winner. If it is dry lined, in particular with dot and dab then you could have problems. If it is timber frame then again you could have problems. In essence it will come down to have your neighbours loosened or dislodged something whilst doing their home improvements.
    • firefox1956
    • By firefox1956 21st May 17, 12:20 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 555 Thanks
    firefox1956
    • 21st May 17, 12:20 PM
    • 21st May 17, 12:20 PM
    Invite yourself round for a cup of tea.......& have a nosy !!
    • so very confused
    • By so very confused 21st May 17, 7:04 PM
    • 969 Posts
    • 2,998 Thanks
    so very confused
    • 21st May 17, 7:04 PM
    • 21st May 17, 7:04 PM
    Thanks for all the replies.
    I did wonder if they had fitted extra sockets or something similar. They have replaced curtains with blinds which may increase noise.
    Not the kind you can invite yourself round to and having thought about it they are unlikely to want to remedy anything.
    If I can't learn to live with it looking at soundproofing.........
    SCP # 034
    The 1000 emergency fund #59
    • Furts
    • By Furts 21st May 17, 7:12 PM
    • 3,175 Posts
    • 2,015 Thanks
    Furts
    • 21st May 17, 7:12 PM
    • 21st May 17, 7:12 PM
    Think carefully about sound proofing. There are smoke and mirrors companies out there and there are also snake oil salespeople.

You could soundproof, as far as reasonably practical, for not vast sums of money. it is simply knowing how. Without seeing nobody can give definite advise so ponder and come back to Forum Folks to brain storm.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,505Posts Today

6,014Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin