Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • parma
    • By parma 18th May 17, 9:46 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    parma
    payment using credit card for windows deposit
    • 18th May 17, 9:46 PM
    payment using credit card for windows deposit 18th May 17 at 9:46 PM
    Hello,

We are buying doors and windows from a small company. they are asing 50% deposit. My concern is how can i protect my deposit if the company goes out of business before supply of the windows. Company is using paypal to take our deposit. my query is will our deposit be protected under section 75 of consumer credit act for the deposit if the company goes out of business during the time.

regards
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 18th May 17, 10:10 PM
    • 13,182 Posts
    • 13,493 Thanks
    zx81
    • 18th May 17, 10:10 PM
    • 18th May 17, 10:10 PM
    No. Only if you pay directly via a credit agreement.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 18th May 17, 11:46 PM
    • 35,522 Posts
    • 45,717 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 18th May 17, 11:46 PM
    • 18th May 17, 11:46 PM
    You can pay just the smallest amount by credit card, even as little as 1 and you wiill be protected with S75
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 19th May 17, 12:12 AM
    • 3,862 Posts
    • 3,242 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 19th May 17, 12:12 AM
    • 19th May 17, 12:12 AM
    As above, you'll only be protected by S75 if you pay directly by credit card - though you only need to pay 1 on credit card to receive the protection ( so long as the total purchase is between 100 and 30,000 ). This "Paypal" question is often asked, and unfortunately it circumvents the S75 protection.

However, I know that many small companies won't accept credit cards - if that's the case, then you're a bit snookered. The alternative is to pay by debit card. Many small companies who won't accept CC will accept a debit card. You don't get quite the same level of protection as S75, but you do have the "chargeback" option as explained here : http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/visa-mastercard-chargeback

Hope this helps.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 19th May 17, 1:53 AM
    • 2,003 Posts
    • 877 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 19th May 17, 1:53 AM
    • 19th May 17, 1:53 AM
    Could you not order your doors and windows elsewhere? A small company which doesn't accept credit cards and requires payment by paypal rings alarm bells to me.
    • AlSto
    • By AlSto 20th May 17, 12:30 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    AlSto
    • 20th May 17, 12:30 PM
    • 20th May 17, 12:30 PM
    Could you not order your doors and windows elsewhere? A small company which doesn't accept credit cards and requires payment by paypal rings alarm bells to me.
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    Agreed.

• phillw
    • By phillw 21st May 17, 4:15 PM
    • 806 Posts
    • 400 Thanks
    phillw
    • 21st May 17, 4:15 PM
    • 21st May 17, 4:15 PM
    Company is using paypal to take our deposit.
    Originally posted by parma
    If it's a transaction for supply of goods then paypal may cover it themselves, you would need to check with paypal. I think using a credit card with paypal costs more than using a debit card as well.

I'm not sure I'd use a company that used paypal and wanted 50% up front.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

223Posts Today

1,675Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin