Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redned
    • By redned 18th May 17, 9:46 PM
    • 150Posts
    • 123Thanks
    redned
    No tv point or aerial
    • 18th May 17, 9:46 PM
    No tv point or aerial 18th May 17 at 9:46 PM
    Hi,
    I'm really after some advice. We are about to move and there is no aerial or tv point in the house. We are used to no tv but not really being up with tech I wondered if there was an obvious solution that doesn't involve too much cost or labour from someone who is up with tech
    TIA
Page 1
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 18th May 17, 9:52 PM
    • 9,174 Posts
    • 8,620 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 18th May 17, 9:52 PM
    What channels are you interested in receiving?

Do you want a solution that is compatible with not having a TV Licence?

What equipment do you already have that could be pressed into use for this?

Presumably you will have Broadband of a reasonable speed?

Are you interested in Pay TV of any sort, or just free services?

Probably the best value for money overall will be something like a Now TV box, Chromecast or Amazon Fire Stick. They plug into the back of the TV and connect to Wifi to provide access to internet streaming services.

Now TV (which I have) is cheap to buy (c. £15) and provides free access to ITV Hub, All4 (C4), and Demand 5 (C5). With a TV Licence, also BBC, iPlayer and live versions of ITV. In addition, Sky subs using the service start from £7 pm.

There's lots of choice, and if you can give a rough idea of what you're looking for and how much you want to pay up front and/or per month, people will be able to give you advice.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • prosaver
    • By prosaver 18th May 17, 9:52 PM
    • 6,492 Posts
    • 5,065 Thanks
    prosaver
    i got an aerial and put in the loft, after a bit of moving around to get a good picture, screw it to a beam and the cable goes out the roof eves, tacked it to the brick wall and drill a hole through the wall back into the house.. you need a long drill bit to go through the cavity walls
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 18th May 17, 9:52 PM
    • 19,293 Posts
    • 9,398 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Nothing much has changed. You still need receiving equipment for all TV whether free or subscription..
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 18th May 17, 10:16 PM
    • 29,965 Posts
    • 18,978 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 18th May 17, 10:16 PM
    • 18th May 17, 10:16 PM
    Another option is a Roku box or the stick. , if you have a licence as mentioned you can view iplayer, All 4 and My 5 plus other services. Check the Roku website out.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • redned
    • By redned 19th May 17, 9:24 AM
    • 150 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    redned
    • 19th May 17, 9:24 AM
    • 19th May 17, 9:24 AM
    Thank you all for the helful responses! We will have internet and tv licence, but not wanting to spend too much so now tv sounds like it could be a good option, I will look into it. Thank you.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 19th May 17, 4:55 PM
    • 8,227 Posts
    • 4,894 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 19th May 17, 4:55 PM
    • 19th May 17, 4:55 PM
    If you are not too far away from an unobstructed tv mast, then a small table top aerial will work.

We bought one of those that looks like an aeroplane wing, from Argos. It was meant for use in the caravan, but works fine with the big tv at home and lives in a bedroom, for use with a small analogue tv , which is used with a Freeview PVR .

If you bought one from Argos and it didn't give a good signal you could return it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

780Posts Today

6,160Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin