Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • usman330
    • By usman330 18th May 17, 8:40 PM
    • 112Posts
    • 14Thanks
    usman330
    Credit card protection from estate agent payment upfront
    • 18th May 17, 8:40 PM
    Credit card protection from estate agent payment upfront 18th May 17 at 8:40 PM
    Hello all,

Putting house up for sale and have found an agent who seems to fit the bill. They offer 2 fee structures, payment upfront which is 40% cheaper than payment on completion that they offer.

I did grill them about taking the cash and then sitting back and not working hard to sell the property, they assured me that they donít like to have property up for a long period as it is detrimental to them so they would work hard either way.

My only worry is that if I pay upfront they could go bust and then the cash is lost, this did happen to a freind of mine in the past.

They do take credit card with a 3% charge which isnít a problem, but would a credit card payment protect me in this situation?
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 18th May 17, 8:45 PM
    • 14,401 Posts
    • 15,198 Thanks
    zx81
    • 18th May 17, 8:45 PM
    • 18th May 17, 8:45 PM
    Only in the event of them going out of business. Not for the lack of effort they will put in.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 19th May 17, 1:58 AM
    • 2,071 Posts
    • 914 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 19th May 17, 1:58 AM
    • 19th May 17, 1:58 AM
    I can't say that I like the payment upfront idea at all. If you do choose this option, whatever you do don't give then a sole agency agreement. If they are paid in advance they will have no incentive whatsoever to advertise your property. None whatsoever.
    Last edited by Ben8282; 19-05-2017 at 5:20 AM.
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 19th May 17, 9:08 AM
    • 1,394 Posts
    • 1,011 Thanks
    MEM62
    • 19th May 17, 9:08 AM
    • 19th May 17, 9:08 AM
    I did grill them about taking the cash and then sitting back and not working hard to sell the property, they assured me that they don’t like to have property up for a long period as it is detrimental to them so they would work hard either way.

You believed something that an estate agent told you?
    Originally posted by usman330
    Pay upfront and you cannot switch estate agent when they turn out to be useless. There is no way I would commit to a single estate agent under these terms - not matter what the saving.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 19th May 17, 10:49 AM
    • 5,551 Posts
    • 5,233 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 19th May 17, 10:49 AM
    • 19th May 17, 10:49 AM
    If you do choose this option, whatever you do don't give then a sole agency agreement.
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    Pay upfront and you cannot switch estate agent when they turn out to be useless.
    Originally posted by MEM62
    Online fixed fee agents don't usually work like that.

You pay them a fee to advertise your property - usually for a maximum period of either 6 or 12 months.

They don't generally care, if you also advertise the property elsewhere and/or instruct other agents.

You can tell them to stop advertising it at any time (e.g. because you want to start using another agent) - but you won't get any of your money back.

Even when they say 'Pay on Completion', what they sometimes mean is you'll either have to pay...

- on completion, or
    - when you tell them to stop advertising your property, or
    - when the 12 months is up (even if the property isn't sold)

(whichever happens first).

So check the contract carefully.
    Last edited by eddddy; 19-05-2017 at 10:59 AM.
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 19th May 17, 4:01 PM
    • 1,394 Posts
    • 1,011 Thanks
    MEM62
    • 19th May 17, 4:01 PM
    • 19th May 17, 4:01 PM
    Online fixed fee agents don't usually work like that.

You pay them a fee to advertise your property - usually for a maximum period of either 6 or 12 months.

They don't generally care, if you also advertise the property elsewhere and/or instruct other agents.

You can tell them to stop advertising it at any time (e.g. because you want to start using another agent) - but you won't get any of your money back.

Even when they say 'Pay on Completion', what they sometimes mean is you'll either have to pay...

- on completion, or
    - when you tell them to stop advertising your property, or
    - when the 12 months is up (even if the property isn't sold)

(whichever happens first).

So check the contract carefully.
    Originally posted by eddddy

There is no suggestion in the OP's original post that this is an online service.
    • Spikey_w
    • By Spikey_w 25th May 17, 1:00 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Spikey_w
    • 25th May 17, 1:00 PM
    Beware!!!
    • 25th May 17, 1:00 PM
    Hello all,
    My only worry is that if I pay upfront they could go bust and then the cash is lost, this did happen to a freind of mine in the past.
    Originally posted by usman330
    You know what USMAN, I recently lost money when a forum member scammed me.

The story is I signed up and saw members on here offered to share the referral bonus for Ratesetter where he would share the £40 of the £50 bonus money. TrustinglyI used this member's referral link and PM him many times about it but had no reply or even acknowledge this. I thought members here were honorable people, but except for this guy it seems.

I would advice anyone encountering this member to know what he has done and think twice about helping or even worst trusting him.

Oh, and this guy is.... USMAN330 !!!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=72112344&postcount=59
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,521Posts Today

6,178Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin