Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chronicle
    • By Chronicle 18th May 17, 7:59 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Chronicle
    Out of work - claiming with job in pipeline
    • 18th May 17, 7:59 PM
    Out of work - claiming with job in pipeline 18th May 17 at 7:59 PM
    Hi all

Long story short, I've recently come out of employment (own choice, was unhappy), however I start a new job middle of June.

I Am wondering if I would be entitled to claim anything for the time being? My partner works part time, we have a young baby in nursery also; however I have a very small savings which is covering our mortgage and the main bills, nothing more.

Any help appreciated

Thanks
Page 1
    • Masomnia
    • By Masomnia 18th May 17, 8:02 PM
    • 17,090 Posts
    • 37,719 Thanks
    Masomnia
    • 18th May 17, 8:02 PM
    • 18th May 17, 8:02 PM
    Why not?

The job might fall through, so it's probably wise to be applying for other stuff just in case anyway.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 18th May 17, 8:12 PM
    • 1,264 Posts
    • 1,163 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    • 18th May 17, 8:12 PM
    • 18th May 17, 8:12 PM
    Is this job guaranteed or just a handshake? As long as you are genuinely looking for work with the intention of taking it if you get it (im guessing you're not as you have what you want for june) then its cool, otherwise you are playing the system.

But, its only june, weeks away. Your call, but if you are not willing to tell the JCP the situation then maybe its because you know its a bit shifty.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 18th May 17, 9:05 PM
    • 1,614 Posts
    • 3,321 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 18th May 17, 9:05 PM
    • 18th May 17, 9:05 PM
    You're free to apply for JSA but be aware that you may well be sanctioned due to leaving your last job.
    • Mersey
    • By Mersey 19th May 17, 5:50 PM
    • 1,601 Posts
    • 774 Thanks
    Mersey
    • 19th May 17, 5:50 PM
    • 19th May 17, 5:50 PM
    Yes, you'll probably be entitled to contributions-based JSA - but be aware that you'll probably be back in work before any payment is received.

Savings are irrelevant as it is not a means-tested benefit and in any case even for means-tested benefits you are allowed to have upto £6k in savings without it affecting any claim.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 19th May 17, 7:04 PM
    • 4,076 Posts
    • 4,184 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 19th May 17, 7:04 PM
    • 19th May 17, 7:04 PM
    Yes, you'll probably be entitled to contributions-based JSA - but be aware that you'll probably be back in work before any payment is received.
    Originally posted by Mersey
    With JSA, getting into work before the first payment is received shouldn't matter. Payment for any days due will be made. Bear in mind that there is no payment for the first 7 days of the claim. I have heard stories about people on UC not getting any payment despite claiming for just under a month. Whether that is true or not I don't know.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,094Posts Today

7,329Users online

Martin's Twitter