Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fbird
    • By Fbird 18th May 17, 7:44 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Fbird
    Tenants
    • 18th May 17, 7:44 PM
    Tenants 18th May 17 at 7:44 PM
    Hi

We had some Tenants move in to the Property next door to us, at the beginning of March, 2 weeks they were fine, not a sound. Probably just testing the waters, to see what they feel they can do. And not cannot do!

Then when the two weeks were up until this day. They keep bringing these knackered old Cars back, Each time one is either sold? Or driven away again, there is another one brought back the evening after.
    They are on their third Car now. They have always been the same brand of Car.

It is just a nuisance as we were in a quiet area until all of this. Gangs of People always coming round 6+
    Then there is the noise (revving), and pollution (clouds of blue/grey smoke).

I'm not sure what I can do here? It just seems pointless trying to talk to the Tenants, I wouldn't waste my time.

Approach the Landlord if he ever turns up? But I reckon that would turn in to an argument. But i'm not really bothered if it did!
    I doubt the Estate Agent would care either? They always seem to listen but never do anything.

Surely this rented Property is being used as a business?

Honestly don't know what to do here
Page 1
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 18th May 17, 8:16 PM
    • 3,107 Posts
    • 4,301 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 18th May 17, 8:16 PM
    • 18th May 17, 8:16 PM
    Contact the local council. They may need planning permission to run a use car business from a residential property.
    • Fbird
    • By Fbird 18th May 17, 8:22 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Fbird
    • 18th May 17, 8:22 PM
    • 18th May 17, 8:22 PM
    I have not seen any for sale signs on these cars, however I have heard conversations of them selling these cars. As soon as the Neighbour fetches them Home, they get tucked away in the Garage for a few weeks, then all hell breaks loose! As I say, noise, smells, gangs of Men lording it about on the Driveway and Street.

Not sure where these Cars are listed for sale when they are done with, suspecting word of mouth perhaps?

I've a list of all the reg plates thus far.

I did notice the Landlord sniffing around the other week, but he hadn't really done enough at that point. And even then he was taking the soft approach with them when they were out in the Garden. Unless another Neighbour whom was Friends with his late Mother, buzzed him to come over and pay a visit?

Thanks, contacting the Council could be worth a try.
    • Fbird
    • By Fbird 18th May 17, 8:32 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Fbird
    • 18th May 17, 8:32 PM
    • 18th May 17, 8:32 PM
    But if there had been any planning permission, being a direct Neighbour, wouldn't we have received any documents to approve or decline it?

Thanks
    • G_M
    • By G_M 18th May 17, 8:33 PM
    • 41,969 Posts
    • 48,573 Thanks
    G_M
    • 18th May 17, 8:33 PM
    • 18th May 17, 8:33 PM
    What make/model of car?

My initial guess is that this is not a carr-selling business, but a club. The fact that 6+ guys come round suggests enthusiasts for a particular model, perhpas a classic.

If so, the options are

* discuss/negotiate with the neighbours and hope they'll be sympathetic & keep their meetings quieter or elsewhere
    * contact the police re motoring offences (driving without due care/attention?)
    * contact council re noise/nuisance

On the other hand, if it is car sales, that would breach planning law, so contact the council planning dept.

Either way, worth discussing with the landlord if you know who/where he is. He may

* not care, as long as the rent is paid
    * be grateful to know his tenants are causing a nuisance

Whether he can (and chooses to) take action is then up to him.
    • Fbird
    • By Fbird 18th May 17, 8:43 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Fbird
    • 18th May 17, 8:43 PM
    • 18th May 17, 8:43 PM
    Not a chance that this is a Car Club, not when I have heard discussions of money exchanging hands, and hand shaking. These are honestly rotten old bangers the majority of people wouldn't look twice at. Yesterdays Car was stripped down to bare metal/primer for most part, and a lot of faded paint.

It was only last night he had Power Tools out (with his gang of lads) and working on his scrapper, before driving off in it.

The only Club he has is the one he invites to the Driveway.

Not to mention the constant comings and goings of his mates or whoever, driving around the Street fast!

I will try and approach the Landlord whenever he comes sniffing around again.
    Last edited by Fbird; 18-05-2017 at 10:01 PM.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 18th May 17, 8:55 PM
    • 41,969 Posts
    • 48,573 Thanks
    G_M
    • 18th May 17, 8:55 PM
    • 18th May 17, 8:55 PM
    Not to mention the constant comings and goings of his mates or whoever, driving around the Street fast!

Originally posted by Fbird
    Sounds like a police matter. Find the local community police officer and have a word (doesn't sound like a 999 problem!)
    • Fbird
    • By Fbird 18th May 17, 8:57 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Fbird
    • 18th May 17, 8:57 PM
    • 18th May 17, 8:57 PM
    I don't even know the names of these Tenants, but surely they are avoiding paying taxes on unearned income...?
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 18th May 17, 9:13 PM
    • 3,107 Posts
    • 4,301 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 18th May 17, 9:13 PM
    • 18th May 17, 9:13 PM
    Report the number plates to the police in case any of these cars have been stolen.
    • Cliveman Pieman
    • By Cliveman Pieman 18th May 17, 9:25 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    Cliveman Pieman
    Pretty much every car has an enthusiastic subculture. Sounds like the BMW enthusiast has moved in next door.

Tbh what you have described does not sound that bad. Getting power tools out? Not having planning permission? Come on get real.

The tax position is a no go, from what you've described there are no badges of trade here.

Unfortunately we don't always get the neighbours we want. That's life.
    • Fbird
    • By Fbird 18th May 17, 9:25 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Fbird
    Well being that 2 of the 3 Cars so far have no MOT's since 2014 and 16 respectively. They are driving around untaxed and uninsured? Yesterdays was SORN, but the first one wasn't for some reason...

Not even sure whose name these Vehicles would be registered in.
    • Fbird
    • By Fbird 18th May 17, 9:27 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Fbird
    Pretty much every car has an enthusiastic subculture. Sounds like the BMW enthusiast has moved in next door.

Tbh what you have described does not sound that bad. Getting power tools out? Not having planning permission? Come on get real.

The tax position is a no go, from what you've described there are no badges of trade here.

Unfortunately we don't always get the neighbours we want. That's life.
    Originally posted by Cliveman Pieman
    Would you like constant Car banging going on next door to you? Going on as late as 9pm! Clouds of Smoke and and awful smells as untaxed and uninsured cars be driven out on to the Street and then on Public Roads in your area?

Hardly Car enthusiasts when these Cars are wrecks?! Long overdue the Crusher! I know what a Car enthusiast is, but these bunch are just pikeys!

Like I say, these cars have been MOT failures, and high milers.

The only Person whom needs to get real is yourself. REALITY CHECK!
    Last edited by Fbird; 18-05-2017 at 9:33 PM.
    • Nikkinakkinoo2017
    • By Nikkinakkinoo2017 18th May 17, 9:35 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    Nikkinakkinoo2017
    I know all contracts are different, but our tenancy contract with our landlords states that we must not repair/store broken cars on the front of the house, we must not be a noise nuisance to others in the street etc etc. Fortunately we have been here 4 and a half years and we are a very quiet family but unfortunately for you, that's not the same, clearly. Maybe ring the letting agents as you could be waiting a while for the landlord to appear if the agents manage it entirely. Again, four and a half years and we have never met ours. I hope you get your peace back soon.
    • Fbird
    • By Fbird 18th May 17, 10:01 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Fbird
    It is just a quiet close, the majority of the residents here are Pensioners, with Bungalows, some detached some semi detached. We've been here about 18 years. But ever seen this House next door went up for let in March, it's just been hell. Never has it been like this in the past.

Anyhow I'm not being ageist, the Tenants are only mid/late 20's, everyone deserves a place to live, but it should be quieter and less smelly/polluted than this (when things do kick off).

I appreciate we cannot all find the Neighbours we'd like, much like you can't choose your Family.

I will see how many more knackered old wrecks appear over the next few months, but in the space of 2 months (3 Cars already).

The Letting Agent could be worth a try, but I don't think they'd provide the outcome we'd hope.

Thanks for your reply.
    • Fbird
    • By Fbird 18th May 17, 10:18 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Fbird
    Just been on to the Letting Agent, whom have confirmed, no Landlord would accept:

Storage of Cars
    Scrap Cars
    Car Repairs
    Revving
    Smoke
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 18th May 17, 10:33 PM
    • 3,107 Posts
    • 4,301 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    Trading standards department of the local council?
    • Fbird
    • By Fbird 18th May 17, 10:37 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Fbird
    And now the Letting Agent has responded via Facebook, they thought I was only looking to rent a Garage, and not knowing the T&C for Tenancy due to working in Sales.

I'm being led up the Garden Path (not pun intended).
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 19th May 17, 12:30 PM
    • 3,107 Posts
    • 4,301 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    And now the Letting Agent has responded via Facebook, they thought I was only looking to rent a Garage, and not knowing the T&C for Tenancy due to working in Sales.

I'm being led up the Garden Path (not pun intended).
    Originally posted by Fbird
    Local council and police next. Cars without MOTs being driven on the road and trading standards.
    • Fbird
    • By Fbird 19th May 17, 12:59 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Fbird
    Will look at this shortly thanks, as they are definitely brought here on Trailers, and don't leave on one either.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 19th May 17, 1:31 PM
    • 15,118 Posts
    • 14,764 Thanks
    Guest101
    This isn't a landlord issue.

Just deal with police or council.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

181Posts Today

1,731Users online

Martin's Twitter