Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • blackmath
    • By blackmath 18th May 17, 7:33 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 4Thanks
    blackmath
    PPC performing a credit search
    • 18th May 17, 7:33 PM
    PPC performing a credit search 18th May 17 at 7:33 PM
    I have had a PPC send me a letter they have found my address via a credit search. I am going to check if they genuinely have.

How have they done this with no credit agreement or application for credit?

Why would Experian etc. release personal information without express permission?

Anyone know if this is allowed? If not I will be pursuing this with the ICO.
Page 1
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 18th May 17, 7:39 PM
    • 5,538 Posts
    • 7,123 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 18th May 17, 7:39 PM
    • 18th May 17, 7:39 PM
    I have had a PPC send me a letter they have found my address via a credit search. I am going to check if they genuinely have.

How have they done this with no credit agreement or application for credit?

Why would Experian etc. release personal information without express permission?

Anyone know if this is allowed? If not I will be pursuing this with the ICO.
    Originally posted by blackmath
    Which PPC is this
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 18th May 17, 7:44 PM
    • 48,395 Posts
    • 61,847 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 18th May 17, 7:44 PM
    I think they'll have done a 'soft' search or used a Tracing Agent. No actual recorded search.

Why haven't you received & appealed the PCN anyway? Surely not another person who didn't update the DVLA with the address on your V5 when you moved (NOT your driving licence, the V5 for the vehicle, must by law be up to date). People get CCJs this way, all the time.
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• blackmath
    • By blackmath 18th May 17, 7:44 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    blackmath
    Even a soft search requires permission. This is about the release of information protected by the DPA.

I work for a company that does soft searches for a completely different purpose and express permission is required.

As for address it's a marginal timing thing.

They would actually be aware of my new address without a credit search due to other DVLA searches they have performed.

As for appealing, I am more than happy to do that in court.
    Last edited by blackmath; 18-05-2017 at 8:04 PM.
    • blackmath
    • By blackmath 18th May 17, 7:52 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    blackmath
    • 18th May 17, 7:52 PM
    • 18th May 17, 7:52 PM
    I think they'll have done a 'soft' search or used a Tracing Agent. No actual recorded search.

Why haven't you received & appealed the PCN anyway? Surely not another person who didn't update the DVLA with the address on your V5 when you moved (NOT your driving licence, the V5 for the vehicle, must by law be up to date). People get CCJs this way, all the time.
    Originally posted by Coupon-mad
    I would be able to set it aside very easily as the PPC would have been aware of my new address and they should not issue summons to an old address.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 18th May 17, 7:57 PM
    • 1,772 Posts
    • 2,103 Thanks
    waamo
    • 18th May 17, 7:57 PM
    • 18th May 17, 7:57 PM
    Why would they be aware of your new address? They can only do one application to the DVLA for each ticket.
    This space for hire.
    • blackmath
    • By blackmath 18th May 17, 8:00 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    blackmath
    • 18th May 17, 8:00 PM
    • 18th May 17, 8:00 PM
    Why would they be aware of your new address? They can only do one application to the DVLA for each ticket.
    Originally posted by waamo
    Because they don't have one ticket against the vehicle.

It really would be really easy for me to demonstrate they know. That's why I still need to check if they have actually done a credit search or are just lying.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 18th May 17, 8:13 PM
    • 5,538 Posts
    • 7,123 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 18th May 17, 8:13 PM
    • 18th May 17, 8:13 PM
    Because they don't have one ticket against the vehicle.
    So what is this about then ?
    Why did they write to you

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • blackmath
    • By blackmath 18th May 17, 8:14 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    blackmath
    • 18th May 17, 8:14 PM
    • 18th May 17, 8:14 PM
    So what is this about then ?
    Why did they write to you
    Originally posted by beamerguy
    Like any other parking charge. They want me to pay.

I'm not concerned about wasting my time right now responding to their endless stream of letters.

I'm just wondering if anyone is aware of the legalities of a CRA releasing information with no permission from the record holder. What could a PPC presented to them for them to do so?

I will attempt to nip this in the bud for everyone if I can. Because as far as I am aware, this is a breach of DPA.
    Last edited by blackmath; 18-05-2017 at 8:17 PM.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 18th May 17, 8:17 PM
    • 5,538 Posts
    • 7,123 Thanks
    beamerguy
    Like any other parking charge. They want me to pay.

I'm not concerned about wasting my time right now responding to their endless stream of letters.

I'm just wondering if anyone is aware of the legalities of a CRA releasing information with no permission from the record holder. What could a PPC presented to them for them to do so?
    I am lost, you said
    "Because they don't have one ticket against the vehicle"

If so, why would they want you to pay

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • blackmath
    • By blackmath 18th May 17, 8:19 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    blackmath
    I am lost, you said
    "Because they don't have one ticket against the vehicle"

If so, why would they want you to pay
    Ah, sorry. I was a little vague, could have phrased it better. They have more than one.

So from the latter DVLA search they would have an updated address.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 18th May 17, 8:23 PM
    • 5,538 Posts
    • 7,123 Thanks
    beamerguy
    Ah, sorry. I was a little vague, could have phrased it better. They have more than one.

So from the latter DVLA search they would have an updated address.
    You have multiple tickets then.
    So, are you saying that from the first ticket to the last one, the address changed

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • blackmath
    • By blackmath 18th May 17, 8:23 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    blackmath
    You have multiple tickets then.
    So, are you saying that from the first ticket to the last one, the address changed
    Precisely.

I can see why I wasn't the most clear.

However, going back to my original question. Any opinions?
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 18th May 17, 8:26 PM
    • 7,184 Posts
    • 7,282 Thanks
    pappa golf
    the PPC can only use data from the DVLA for the relivent ticket issued , if they are using info obtained at a later date they have broken thier agreement with the DVLA
    Have YOU had to walk 500 miles?
    Were you advised to walk 500 more?
    You could be entitled to compensation.
    Call the Pro Claimers NOW.
    • blackmath
    • By blackmath 18th May 17, 8:28 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    blackmath
    the PPC can only use data from the DVLA for the relivent ticket issued , if they are using info obtained at a later date they have broken thier agreement with the DVLA
    Originally posted by pappa golf
    I'm not sure how that works. As they would also have a duty to use the latest information they have in legally pursuing a debt.

I should add I have never been on edited register.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 18th May 17, 8:33 PM
    • 1,772 Posts
    • 2,103 Thanks
    waamo
    If this is a ppc who likes to do court they could well be using a tracing agent. Given they have two different addresses they may well be checking where to send court papers.
    This space for hire.
    • kimplus8
    • By kimplus8 18th May 17, 8:34 PM
    • 606 Posts
    • 1,970 Thanks
    kimplus8
    Even a soft search requires permission. This is about the release of information protected by the DPA.

I work for a company that does soft searches for a completely different purpose and express permission is required.

As for address it's a marginal timing thing.

They would actually be aware of my new address without a credit search due to other DVLA searches they have performed.

As for appealing, I am more than happy to do that in court.
    actually a soft footprint search can legally be done without permission for tracing purposes.
    Essentially every time you subscribe to a service or buy a product be that credit or a physical object and you don't unsubscribe to their 'sharing of information to other agents/products/services' you give your permission (by omitting to tick the box) for that info to be sold to tracing agents and tracing databases.
    Single Momma, Member of £1000 Emergency fund Club Check out my Debt Free Diary
    • blackmath
    • By blackmath 18th May 17, 8:42 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    blackmath
    actually a soft footprint search can legally be done without permission for tracing purposes.
    Essentially every time you subscribe to a service or buy a product be that credit or a physical object and you don't unsubscribe to their 'sharing of information to other agents/products/services' you give your permission (by omitting to tick the box) for that info to be sold to tracing agents and tracing databases.
    Originally posted by kimplus8
    So I'm certain CRAs do not work like that.

CRAs require express or implied permission. That may be at the beginning of a credit agreement, utilities agreement etc. However, it must have been stated originally in the T&Cs.

In this case the PPC has never been contacted by me in any way whatsoever. They are effectively random people who would be asking for my credit data.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 18th May 17, 8:48 PM
    • 1,772 Posts
    • 2,103 Thanks
    waamo
    I suspect this isn't a credit search but rather confirmation of your address.
    This space for hire.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 18th May 17, 8:50 PM
    • 13,642 Posts
    • 21,397 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    For each ticket they intend to issue, they have to go back to the DVLA each and every time. Despite knowing your details from previous ticket(s), they cannot use them. They must apply each time to the DVLA.

Write to the DVLA and ask them who, by date, has applied for your details between x (date) and y (date) - to cover the dates of all your PCNs.

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/dvla-reverse-position-on-charging-to.html
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,708Posts Today

7,615Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin