Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • D1.f
    • By D1.f 18th May 17, 6:03 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 2Thanks
    D1.f
    Ali Express etc and Xaiomi Advice please
    • 18th May 17, 6:03 PM
    Ali Express etc and Xaiomi Advice please 18th May 17 at 6:03 PM
    Puddled now after 2 days of research and one false start!!
    Any advice on what to buy and who from please?
    Want a Xaiomi Redmi 4 or 4x, global version, sealed box, pre-installed Google Play, pink or gold.
    Thanks
    Di
Page 1
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 18th May 17, 9:06 PM
    • 674 Posts
    • 460 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 18th May 17, 9:06 PM
    • 18th May 17, 9:06 PM
    Personally I wouldn't buy high value items from AliExpress - even if you have a warranty using it is likely to be difficult and expensive. Likewise if you receive a faulty or damaged item you have no consumer rights which you can actually exercise, you'd likely need to pay the cost of returning it.

In general it's the same as eBay - choose a seller that has lots of good feedback and has shipped a lot of orders.

Don't forget to factor import duty, VAT and handling fees into the cost.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 18th May 17, 9:58 PM
    • 9,535 Posts
    • 7,112 Thanks
    GunJack
    • 18th May 17, 9:58 PM
    • 18th May 17, 9:58 PM
    the difference with AliExpress over ebay is that the vendor doesn't receive funds (which are held by AE) until such time you get the goods and confirm they are acceptable, not damaged, DOA, etc. If they are you let AE know and if you read how it works, then you can be refunded (direct from AE) and often get to keep the faulty goods as well as the vendor doesn't always want them back...
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 18th May 17, 10:49 PM
    • 25,108 Posts
    • 9,961 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 18th May 17, 10:49 PM
    • 18th May 17, 10:49 PM
    The issue is often not receiving the goods its x weeks or months down the line when the device fails and you effectively have no warranty.

How many sellers just close down and startup again?

Or you have to send it back to Chiina tracked which costs???
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 18th May 17, 11:03 PM
    • 29,359 Posts
    • 18,565 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 18th May 17, 11:03 PM
    • 18th May 17, 11:03 PM
    Puddled now after 2 days of research and one false start!!
    Any advice on what to buy and who from please?
    Want a Xaiomi Redmi 4 or 4x, global version, sealed box, pre-installed Google Play, pink or gold.
    Thanks
    Di
    Originally posted by D1.f
    You dont ask for much do you.

Not many places you can buy 1 from.

Why that particular phone ?

I also wouldnt buy high value items from a site like Ali Express, not that I dont trust them, its the whole warranty issue, makes it easier if you buy using a credit card.

Ali Express are the official store for Xiaomi phones.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 18-05-2017 at 11:13 PM.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • D1.f
    • By D1.f 18th May 17, 11:25 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    D1.f
    • 18th May 17, 11:25 PM
    • 18th May 17, 11:25 PM
    Don't ask you don't get .

Thanks for replies. Hit lucky and found the phone on ebay and Shipped from Dublin - accepting PayPal.

Chose the phone from reviews and spec (and blinginess) - based on having champagne taste and a brown ale budget plus liking for shiny things ........ Gambling on tech is the nearest i get to living dangerously. =D

Thanks again and fingers crossed x x
    Last edited by D1.f; 18-05-2017 at 11:28 PM.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 21st Jun 17, 1:33 PM
    • 2,481 Posts
    • 2,482 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 21st Jun 17, 1:33 PM
    • 21st Jun 17, 1:33 PM
    Originally posted by qudwnsdlekd
    I smell a whiff of luncheon meat.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 21st Jun 17, 1:39 PM
    • 1,798 Posts
    • 895 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 21st Jun 17, 1:39 PM
    • 21st Jun 17, 1:39 PM
    I smell a whiff of luncheon meat.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    So do I, so I've reported it.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 21st Jun 17, 2:44 PM
    • 2,481 Posts
    • 2,482 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 21st Jun 17, 2:44 PM
    • 21st Jun 17, 2:44 PM
    I just clicked the button.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • D1.f
    • By D1.f 21st Jun 17, 3:19 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    D1.f
    Hi everyone
    Just wanted to reassure you all it wasn't spam!!

I just thought it would be good manners to give you some feedback as I had taken advice here and not ordered from China.

I'm a 50 something year old talking therapist and my only contact with spam was school dinners 1000 years ago.

Thought also it may help another Mum who's disposable income goes on her son's top of the range tech whilst she's been "embarrassing" him for the last five years with her 'fail phone'.

This site has saved me literally thousands so just wanting to say thank you x
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 21st Jun 17, 3:28 PM
    • 9,535 Posts
    • 7,112 Thanks
    GunJack
    Hi everyone
    Just wanted to reassure you all it wasn't spam!!

I just thought it would be good manners to give you some feedback as I had taken advice here and not ordered from China.

I'm a 50 something year old talking therapist and my only contact with spam was school dinners 1000 years ago.

Thought also it may help another Mum who's disposable income goes on her son's top of the range tech whilst she's been "embarrassing" him for the last five years with her 'fail phone'.

This site has saved me literally thousands so just wanting to say thank you x
    Originally posted by D1.f
    The spam wasn't directed at you, it was at the (now deleted) post by [random username] quoted in DoaM's post above
    • sillygoose
    • By sillygoose 22nd Jun 17, 8:26 AM
    • 3,758 Posts
    • 3,545 Thanks
    sillygoose
    Missed this when posted but would agree strongly with dj1471's comment.

I buy a lot of stuff through Aliexpress, often several items a week. I have had problems but I have never lost a dispute and not got my money back when needed.

I did once buy a Xiaomi MI3 from a high feedback seller, it arrived quickly fully boxed and checked out as original (there are a lot of fake Xiaomi out there)

But it had a fault in that the soft keys didn't illuminate making it near impossible to use. Once proved to the seller by uploading them a video of it a refund was offered fine.

Here is the problem, you HAVE to send it back tracked to be safe and the cheapest I could find was ipost for about £32 (on a £115 purchase).

As soon as the tracking showed 'delivered' Aliexpress refunded. But of course you don't get return postage back. The Chinese state massively subsidise shipping out of China but your stuck with our rates to get it back.

So no, no more high value purchases for me. On most low value items Aliexpress will rule on your side of with a full refund with no need to return the item as long as you upload decent evidence.
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 22nd Jun 17, 8:53 AM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 1,065 Thanks
    DavidP24
    China? Caveat Emptor!!
    I would never buy from China, they simply do not value reputation, if it is not fakes it is duty and handling fees on anything over £18. As has been pointed out the return costs are prohibitive sting factor.

The exception to this is a Chinese supplier with UK fulfillment on ebay, you have to verify that the stock is located in UK, you can't trust the Item Location because like everything on eBay they just allow cheats and liars.

Once you find a decent supplier bookmark them.

The only reason I would use Alibaba is to import a container of stuff but the numbers rarely add up.

One of the reasons I do not advocate buying from China is they simply think it is fine to ship fake products. Whether it be a battery quoting 9000MaH (3600 is max in a single cell) or that they quote a cell is protected when it is not or when they fill the battery with sand.

Then you have fake USB Memory, where they outright deceive people, in capacity, reliability, speed and they call them factory seconds. eBay allows this fraud.

The best part of your consumer rights is the 30 day right to reject with supplier paying return postage extended to 6 months if manufacturer defect.

Some Chinese suppliers will refund and let you keep the product but others will insist on the return which means you lose everything. Rather than return it, I list the faulty product on eBay, I name the supplier, say what was wrong with it, I use almost identical wording to the original seller.

Maybe one day China will decide reputation DOES matter but for now caveat emptor.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 22nd Jun 17, 9:14 AM
    • 756 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    angryparcel

Maybe one day China will decide reputation DOES matter
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    look out your window and see the pigs fly.

trouble is a lot of services within china are run by the corrupt Chinese state government
    Shipping
    Mail
    Media
    Internet Service
    All state run

the worse is Internet service Chinanet.
    This is the main source of worldwide spam which services like spamcop no longer pass spam reports onto chinanet as they are ignored.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 22nd Jun 17, 12:31 PM
    • 1,652 Posts
    • 580 Thanks
    Stoke
    What a joke this thread is. I've bought hundreds of items from China, including two mobile phones. You take a chance. Both phones are still working fine. The one time I had a high value item go tits up, I put a chargeback in, they didn't dispute it. I kept the faulty goods and got my money back.

If you like Xiaomi, go ahead and buy one. They're cracking little devices and my gf will tell you that as she owns a Redmi 2.
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 22nd Jun 17, 1:32 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 1,065 Thanks
    DavidP24
    Yep it is all a joke until it goes horribly wrong for you personally, then you feel the same way.

Hundreds of videos of fake batteries on YouTube, they cut them open and find sand, flour and dirt, but it is just a joke.

The fires caused by fake batteries with no protection cell, just a joke.

The data loss from buying a 2tb USB stick the simply can't exist in that form factor, where they take a 64gb stick and write some crap OS on it that makes the data overwrite itself. Yes just a joke.

eBay do not care and now we have sites that are big enough to sidestep ebay, probably because they got fed up with having their accounts shut down. I have seen eBay accounts with hundreds of bad reviews in a month. The vendors do not care because they have 20+ accounts, each with over 500,000 items shipped. Ebay does not care as long as the percentage is high.

The Chinese vendors play every fraud in town to game eBay; want to increase the trending price, put a product that cost £2 in at £945, want to manipulate the search, put your crap case in the wrong category, stick 11500 variations of the same product, lie about the qty (10x when only 5 are included - done to screw up the average price, list a 50p product as a choice with a £10 product so that when people sort by price it comes first, yet the £10 product usually sells for £5. These are just a few of the devious tricks the Chinese vendors on eBay get up to.

You can't write any text when you report an item and eBay does NOTHING anyway.

Oh and On Chinese mobile phones, yes they cheat the benchmarks

http://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_5_cheats_on_multicore_benchmarks-news-25730.php

Nice people to do business with.

I think the Government should apply a simple £1 tax on every item from China, there is a lot of tax fraud where items are declared under value, this would regain lost revenue.

The simple fact is that you can't send stuff back to China because it is not economically viable and even if you could you would be dealing with someone who does not speak English, has no concept of customer service and will probably send you a faulty one back, if you are lucky.

Still it is all a joke, until it happens to you!
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 22nd Jun 17, 3:11 PM
    • 9,535 Posts
    • 7,112 Thanks
    GunJack
    I think the Government should apply a simple £1 tax on every item from China, there is a lot of tax fraud where items are declared under value, this would regain lost revenue.
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    Get real, that £1 would turn into more like £7-8 with the RM "handling charge" to collect it on top....

I buy all my vaping kit direct from China (where 99.99% of all vape kit is manufactured) - you take the trade-off of cost v customer service and understand that before you buy...having said that, some of the bigger companies are much better at it these days.

If buying from anywhere abroad, it's a pain if you have to return stuff.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,050Posts Today

7,563Users online

Martin's Twitter