Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kah22
    • By kah22 18th May 17, 5:14 PM
    • 1,226Posts
    • 436Thanks
    kah22
    Pet Insurance
    • 18th May 17, 5:14 PM
    Pet Insurance 18th May 17 at 5:14 PM
    I've a new dog and I'm looking at Pet Insurance. Some companies cover kennel cost up to a set amount if the owner is in hospital

Can anyone advise me what if the owner has a pre-existent condition will kennel cover apply. My guess would be no! Does anyone know for sure?

Again thanks for your information

Kevin
    There are no strangers here; Only friends you haven't yet met. - William Butler Yeats
Page 1
    • LusciousLuce
    • By LusciousLuce 18th May 17, 5:38 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    LusciousLuce
    • 18th May 17, 5:38 PM
    • 18th May 17, 5:38 PM
    There are so many different policies available that I doubt anyone could tell you for sure - you'd really have to do your own research. Almost all insurance companies have a PDF of their policy wording available on their website so have a look at a few.

I'm a claims assessor and I've rarely seen a claim for this benefit, so it's not a section of the policy wording I've needed to refer to very often, but from what I recall our wording says hospitalisation that is known or foreseeable is excluded. So that's not specifically excluding pre-existing conditions, but if you have one that is likely to require hospitalisation I think you'd be unlikely to make a successful claim, and I think that's fair enough.

PetPlan's policy wording specifically excludes pre-existing conditions.

I wouldn't recommend choosing a policy mainly on this benefit however. The more benefits you add to a policy the higher your premium will be. Is it really worth it compared to how much kennelling fees would be? Far more important is a decent vet's fees limit, a good company who doesn't slap ridiculous exclusions on a policy after a claim, and a policy with lifetime renewing benefit.

Some kennels will discount the cost for longer stays, and some will if you're able to book far enough in advance.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,473Posts Today

6,749Users online

Martin's Twitter