Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 18th May 17, 5:14 PM
    • 6,085Posts
    • 19,000Thanks
    Doc N
    Conundrum: Pedestrians on a narrow country road with no footpaths - who gives way?
    • 18th May 17, 5:14 PM
    Conundrum: Pedestrians on a narrow country road with no footpaths - who gives way? 18th May 17 at 5:14 PM
    Outside towns and cities, but often just outside quite well populated villages, there are roads with no footpaths, just not particularly easily accessible verges.

It's a sunny day on a quiet road, with not much traffic. You're driving a car - you spot a couple of pedestrians out for a walk and coming towards you. There are two of them, side by side, on your side of the road, but having seen you they move into single file.

It's a narrow road, just about wide enough for two vehicles, there's another car coming towards you, and you expect the pedestrians to get off the road, onto the verge, to allow you to continue your journey without having to stop. But they don't - they just carry on walking single file.

What do you do?

1 Stop before you reach the pedestrians to allow the other car to pass safely.

2 Blast your horn at the pedestrians to get them to move out of the way.

3 Carry on regardless and take a chance on brushing against the pedestrians?

Real life situation - I see it every day. What's the correct answer? An increasing number of drivers seem not to know what it is.
    Last edited by Doc N; 18-05-2017 at 8:24 PM.
Page 1
    • Shaka_Zulu
    • By Shaka_Zulu 18th May 17, 5:22 PM
    • 630 Posts
    • 1,470 Thanks
    Shaka_Zulu
    • 18th May 17, 5:22 PM
    • 18th May 17, 5:22 PM
    You need to stop or get on to the verge yourself. Since a vehicle is coming the other way the first option is more appropriate I would suggest.

If you blasted your horn at me you wouldn't be getting past at all.

The pedestrians may have reasons for not wanting to step on to the verge, very annoying but not much you can do.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Because the unwashed can not understand what you said in Zulu.
    • kmb500
    • By kmb500 18th May 17, 5:24 PM
    • 274 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    kmb500
    • 18th May 17, 5:24 PM
    • 18th May 17, 5:24 PM
    It is your right of way, pedestrians should move over, however it is also your responsibility not to run people over so... yes, if they are not moving, you must stop. Highway code explicitly states that if pedestrians are in the road you must slow down and stop before you hit them!
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 18th May 17, 5:30 PM
    • 1,252 Posts
    • 6,781 Thanks
    NBLondon
    • 18th May 17, 5:30 PM
    • 18th May 17, 5:30 PM

The pedestrians are doing the right thing - walking single-file facing the oncoming traffic. If they can get onto a verge they probably will do. If passing them safely would put you over the centre line and in conflict with the oncoming vehicle; you should wait until it is safe. Same situation would apply if the pedestrians were a non-bological obstruction - roadworks, parked emergency vehicle, fallen tree.

But speaking as one who has been on that sort of road on foot, a goodly number of drivers go for
    4 Accelerate to get past the pedestrians and make the oncoming driver stop instead.
    One day I'll think of something witty - Apparently I have!
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 18th May 17, 5:31 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    wgl2014
    • 18th May 17, 5:31 PM
    • 18th May 17, 5:31 PM
    Do you really need to ask?
    • Shaka_Zulu
    • By Shaka_Zulu 18th May 17, 5:32 PM
    • 630 Posts
    • 1,470 Thanks
    Shaka_Zulu
    • 18th May 17, 5:32 PM
    • 18th May 17, 5:32 PM
    It is your right of way
    Originally posted by kmb500
    Is it ?
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Because the unwashed can not understand what you said in Zulu.
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 18th May 17, 6:03 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    • 18th May 17, 6:03 PM
    • 18th May 17, 6:03 PM
    Is it ?
    Originally posted by Shaka_Zulu
    Is exactly what I thought.
    It's scary!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 18th May 17, 6:16 PM
    • 58,697 Posts
    • 338,079 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 18th May 17, 6:16 PM
    • 18th May 17, 6:16 PM
    I'd stop as the other car has a priority and there is an "obstruction", whatever the sort, on my side. It'd be dangerous driving without regard for other road users to do anything different.

If there were no car coming the other way, I'd slow down and pull out so they knew I'd seen them and to have more options should one stumble.

There are rights, priorities ... and courtesy.
    • SuzieSue
    • By SuzieSue 18th May 17, 6:19 PM
    • 3,533 Posts
    • 3,847 Thanks
    SuzieSue
    • 18th May 17, 6:19 PM
    • 18th May 17, 6:19 PM
    I don't care whose right of way it is.

I would do whatever it takes to avoid an accident. I don't want to spend months/years dealing with my insurance company and having to pay higher premiums even if it wasn't my fault.

I also don't want to injure/kill someone and have that on my conscience for the rest of my life.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 18th May 17, 6:19 PM
    • 13,969 Posts
    • 12,367 Thanks
    AdrianC
    What's the correct answer?
    Originally posted by Doc N
    Your driving instructor will explain, when you're old enough.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 18th May 17, 6:22 PM
    • 913 Posts
    • 603 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    If you have an obstruction on your side of the road you should be the one that gives way to oncoming traffic. Doesn't matter what that obstruction is.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 18th May 17, 6:30 PM
    • 913 Posts
    • 603 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    It is your right of way, pedestrians should move over, however it is also your responsibility not to run people over so... yes, if they are not moving, you must stop. Highway code explicitly states that if pedestrians are in the road you must slow down and stop before you hit them!
    I am a keen photographer, and in early March I was shooting around Buachaille Etive Mor around the main A82. I did what I could to keep off the road as much as I could as I was walking from my car to location and vice versa and thanked drivers that gave me space when I wasn't able to use the verge.

There are many reasons why a pedestrian may use the road rather than a verge. In my case, the verge was very uneven, and walking along it might have caused me to lose balance and fall into the road. There's no guarantee that the drivers would see that. As a driver you don't have the best view of the verge, so how can you judge with certainty whether the pedestrians should be on the verge or the road, facing oncoming traffic?

As a motorist, you have, I believe a moral obligation to look out for and avoid physical contact with weaker road users than yourself - and yes, that includes cyclists. Whether they are in the wrong isn't really the point, you should still look out for them and avoid contact.
    Last edited by Mercdriver; 18-05-2017 at 6:33 PM.
    • facade
    • By facade 18th May 17, 7:25 PM
    • 2,642 Posts
    • 1,355 Thanks
    facade
    What on Earth are pedestrians doing walking facing the traffic?
    They should be ambling along in the road facing away from the traffic, wearing dark clothes, with their hoods pulled up over their headphones.

They should, if at all possible, make sure that it is raining and dark too.

However, the Police seem to take a dim view of simply driving over them, shouting "Natural selection"
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 18th May 17, 7:36 PM
    • 6,085 Posts
    • 19,000 Thanks
    Doc N
    Do you really need to ask?
    Originally posted by wgl2014
    Sadly, yes - because an increasingly frequent driver response (despite a very clear Highway Code rule) is to shout, swear and gesticulate at any pedestrians who don't get off the road - despite the fact that to do so would be difficult and probably involve getting covered in mud.

Highway Code Rule 206

Drive carefully and slowly when approaching pedestrians on narrow rural roads without a footway or footpath. Always slow down and be prepared to stop if necessary, giving them plenty of room as you drive past.
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 18th May 17, 7:40 PM
    • 2,415 Posts
    • 2,077 Thanks
    Richard53
    It is your right of way, pedestrians should move over
    You are joking, aren't you?
    If all misfortunes were laid in one common heap whence everyone must take an equal portion, most people would be contented to take their own and depart. (Attrib. to Socrates)
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 18th May 17, 7:47 PM
    • 5,816 Posts
    • 4,565 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Sadly, yes - because an increasingly frequent driver response (despite a very clear Highway Code rule) is to shout, swear and gesticulate at any pedestrians who don't get off the road - despite the fact that to do so would be difficult and probably involve getting covered in mud.

Highway Code Rule 206

Drive carefully and slowly when approaching pedestrians on narrow rural roads without a footway or footpath. Always slow down and be prepared to stop if necessary, giving them plenty of room as you drive past.
    Unfortunately some ignorant drivers believe they have the right of way however if they have poor ride quality due to over inflated tyres and an "extremely fragile" computer in the boot they will be driving at 20mph giving you ample opportunity to shout and gesticulate back.
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 18-05-2017 at 7:53 PM.

• Richard53
    • By Richard53 18th May 17, 8:05 PM
    • 2,415 Posts
    • 2,077 Thanks
    Richard53
    Pedestrians are 'road users', along with cyclists, horse riders, motorcyclists, car drivers, White Van Man, lorries, ambulances, bin lorries, tractors and the like. All have an equal right to use the road as long as they obey the law.

We just need to be tolerant and patient, and find a way of sharing the roads amicably.
    If all misfortunes were laid in one common heap whence everyone must take an equal portion, most people would be contented to take their own and depart. (Attrib. to Socrates)
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 18th May 17, 8:18 PM
    • 9,476 Posts
    • 6,456 Thanks
    neilmcl
    Outside towns and cities, but often just outside quite well populated villages, there are roads with no footpaths, just not particularly easily accessible verges.

It's a sunny day on a quiet road, with not much traffic. You're driving a car - you spot a couple of pedestrians out for a walk and coming towards you. There are two of them, side by side, on your side of the road, but having seen you they move into single file.

It's a narrow road, just about wide enough for two vehicles, there's another car coming towards you, and you expect the pedestrians to get off the road, onto the verge, to allow you to continue your journey without having to stop. But they don't - they just carry on walking single file.

What do you do?

1 Stop before you reach the pedestrians to allow the other car to pass safely.

2 Blast your horn at the pedestrians to get them to move out of the way.

3 Carry on regardless and take a chance on brushing against the pedestrians?

Real life situation - I see it every day. What's the correct answer?
    Out of those three options you really need to ask, unbelievable!
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 18th May 17, 8:22 PM
    • 6,085 Posts
    • 19,000 Thanks
    Doc N
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    As both a driver and a pedestrian (and a cyclist too), I know the answer full well.

What's unbelievable is the number of drivers who obviously don't!
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 18th May 17, 8:27 PM
    • 4,623 Posts
    • 9,743 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    As I understand it the OP would be the pedestrian in the scenario presented.
    Sealed pot challenge ~ 10 #017
    Declutter 2017 items in 2017 - 78/2017

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,700Posts Today

6,395Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin