Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • piranha84
    • By piranha84 18th May 17, 4:38 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 1Thanks
    piranha84
    0 WOW
    USA esta
    • 18th May 17, 4:38 PM
    0 WOW
    USA esta 18th May 17 at 4:38 PM
    Just a quick question I need some confirmation on. I go to Florida in 19th June. I have completed my esta visa waiver online do I need to print these to take with me. I'm reading conflicting info regarding this. Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • jfdi
    • By jfdi 18th May 17, 4:44 PM
    • 959 Posts
    • 1,438 Thanks
    jfdi
    • 18th May 17, 4:44 PM
    • 18th May 17, 4:44 PM
    I took screenshots last year, but nobody asked for them.
    • littlereddevil
    • By littlereddevil 18th May 17, 4:52 PM
    • 4,610 Posts
    • 1,917 Thanks
    littlereddevil
    • 18th May 17, 4:52 PM
    • 18th May 17, 4:52 PM
    No, it's linked to your passport
    travelover
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 18th May 17, 5:37 PM
    • 1,246 Posts
    • 862 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    • 18th May 17, 5:37 PM
    • 18th May 17, 5:37 PM
    Esta - Electronic System for Travel Authorisation. It exists only in that system and is linked electronically to your passport. You can't print the Esta. You can print the acknowledgement that it's been authorised if you wish but there is no need to. It's no different to etickets. You can print the eticket receipt or airline itinerary, but not the etickets.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 18th May 17, 7:22 PM
    • 6,576 Posts
    • 8,067 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 18th May 17, 7:22 PM
    • 18th May 17, 7:22 PM
    Retain the number by taking a screenshot.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 19th May 17, 11:20 AM
    • 7,077 Posts
    • 3,907 Thanks
    martindow
    • 19th May 17, 11:20 AM
    • 19th May 17, 11:20 AM
    I can't imagine that a piece of printed paper would carry any weight at US border control if they can't see your esta linked to your passport on their computer.
    • littlereddevil
    • By littlereddevil 19th May 17, 1:55 PM
    • 4,610 Posts
    • 1,917 Thanks
    littlereddevil
    • 19th May 17, 1:55 PM
    • 19th May 17, 1:55 PM
    I can't imagine that a piece of printed paper would carry any weight at US border control if they can't see your esta linked to your passport on their computer.
    Originally posted by martindow

Exactly. No paperwork required.
    travelover
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 19th May 17, 3:19 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    Ganga
    • 19th May 17, 3:19 PM
    • 19th May 17, 3:19 PM
    But for the price of printing it off at home ( if you do have a printer )it is peace of mind to have it with you,just in case.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • littlereddevil
    • By littlereddevil 19th May 17, 6:12 PM
    • 4,610 Posts
    • 1,917 Thanks
    littlereddevil
    • 19th May 17, 6:12 PM
    • 19th May 17, 6:12 PM
    It won't help at all. If it is not on your passport you won't be leaving the UK
    travelover
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 19th May 17, 6:28 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    Ganga
    It won't help at all. If it is not on your passport you won't be leaving the UK
    Originally posted by littlereddevil
    But if it was not approved it would not be printable as you get confirmation in the form of an e-mail that your application has been successfu with a copy of the document!
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • Froggitt
    • By Froggitt 20th May 17, 11:24 AM
    • 5,780 Posts
    • 3,059 Thanks
    Froggitt
    US CBP do not require the paper ESTA. HOWEVER some carriers may ask you for this totally meaningless piece of paper before letting you board, to give them some satisfaction that they will not be transporting you back to the UK when you arrive.

In particular, I'm thinking about NCL, Norwegian Cruise Lines for their Autumn Transatlantic cruises from Europe. Other cruiselines or airlines might do similar. As I said, that piece of paper is meaningless, it can be forged in five minutes with very basic software, like Powerpoint or Photoshop.
    illegitimi non carborundum
    • photome
    • By photome 22nd May 17, 1:25 AM
    • 12,534 Posts
    • 8,029 Thanks
    photome
    I haven't printed it in the past BUT at Norwich last week it did cause hassle. They apparently can't see it at check in so had to wait while they went elsewhere to check I had one, took a good while so would have been better had I printed it off
    • photome
    • By photome 22nd May 17, 1:26 AM
    • 12,534 Posts
    • 8,029 Thanks
    photome
    Exactly. No paperwork required.
    Originally posted by littlereddevil
    Tell that to Check in at Norwich airport
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,056Posts Today

7,006Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin