Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • drinkupretty
    • By drinkupretty 18th May 17, 4:27 PM
    • 2,649Posts
    • 6,636Thanks
    drinkupretty
    Little clue, where to begin?
    • 18th May 17, 4:27 PM
    Little clue, where to begin? 18th May 17 at 4:27 PM
    I have been left around £20,000 by my grandmother and I want to save it and add to it for a deposit for a house. I wouldn't be buying for at least another 2 years as I am currently training to become a nurse and want to wait until I qualify in 2019 and get a permanent job before even starting with house hunting and mortgage applications.
    I have never had a lump sum to save before, my experience of savings is putting holiday money in an instant access savings account with a very poor interest rate, for just a few weeks before jetting off and spending it!
    Locking away the money would be fine, it would help me resist the temptation to spend.
    With so many options for savings where do I even begin to figure out which is the best choice of investment for my inheritance?
    "I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes"
Page 1
    • badger09
    • By badger09 18th May 17, 4:42 PM
    • 5,425 Posts
    • 4,662 Thanks
    badger09
    • 18th May 17, 4:42 PM
    I have been left around £20,000 by my grandmother and I want to save it and add to it for a deposit for a house. I wouldn't be buying for at least another 2 years as I am currently training to become a nurse and want to wait until I qualify in 2019 and get a permanent job before even starting with house hunting and mortgage applications.
    I have never had a lump sum to save before, my experience of savings is putting holiday money in an instant access savings account with a very poor interest rate, for just a few weeks before jetting off and spending it!
    Locking away the money would be fine, it would help me resist the temptation to spend.
    With so many options for savings where do I even begin to figure out which is the best choice of investment for my inheritance?
    Originally posted by drinkupretty
    Are you a first time buyer? Under 40?

Have a look here for a start

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/which-saving-account
    • drinkupretty
    • By drinkupretty 18th May 17, 4:42 PM
    • 2,649 Posts
    • 6,636 Thanks
    drinkupretty
    I will be a first time buyer and both myself and my partner are in our 30's
    "I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes"
    • badger09
    • By badger09 18th May 17, 4:46 PM
    • 5,425 Posts
    • 4,662 Thanks
    badger09
    • 18th May 17, 4:46 PM
    • 18th May 17, 4:46 PM
    I will be a first time buyer and both myself and my partner are in our 30's
    Originally posted by drinkupretty
    Then starting point should be HTB or LISA

Have a read through the link I posted then come back with any questions.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

161Posts Today

1,386Users online

Martin's Twitter