Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jalal
    • By Jalal 18th May 17, 4:03 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jalal
    safety when dealing with letting agents
    • 18th May 17, 4:03 PM
    safety when dealing with letting agents 18th May 17 at 4:03 PM
    Hi

I just want your help regarding renting for the first time although i have done research of major pitfalls. I rang up someone on spareroom.co.uk regarding a single room and it seemed dodgy as it was advertised as letting agency.

He gave me the postcode but wasn't saying name of LL. I wanted to know this as this seems like the most important thing to check the genuineness of. Is this reasonable to ask when dealing with agencys?

Anyone have any experience of how best to proceed with paying agencys and protecting self from rogue agents who might run off with money?
Page 1
    • elverson
    • By elverson 18th May 17, 4:18 PM
    • 516 Posts
    • 314 Thanks
    elverson
    • 18th May 17, 4:18 PM
    • 18th May 17, 4:18 PM
    Don't pay any money before you've seen the accommodation.

Ideally don't pay the rent in cash.

Make sure you get a tenancy in writing.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 18th May 17, 4:29 PM
    • 13,490 Posts
    • 13,041 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 18th May 17, 4:29 PM
    • 18th May 17, 4:29 PM
    Hi

I just want your help regarding renting for the first time although i have done research of major pitfalls. I rang up someone on spareroom.co.uk regarding a single room and it seemed dodgy as it was advertised as letting agency.

He gave me the postcode but wasn't saying name of LL. I wanted to know this as this seems like the most important thing to check the genuineness of. Is this reasonable to ask when dealing with agencys?

Anyone have any experience of how best to proceed with paying agencys and protecting self from rogue agents who might run off with money?
    Originally posted by Jalal

Well using a high street branch helps with this.

Spareroom is usually, but not exclusively, for lodgers.
    • Jalal
    • By Jalal 18th May 17, 4:41 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jalal
    • 18th May 17, 4:41 PM
    • 18th May 17, 4:41 PM
    yes unfortunately i can only afford single room and some agencys are advertising on spare room
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 18th May 17, 4:49 PM
    • 13,490 Posts
    • 13,041 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 18th May 17, 4:49 PM
    • 18th May 17, 4:49 PM
    yes unfortunately i can only afford single room and some agencys are advertising on spare room
    Originally posted by Jalal

But don't use an agency then? Loads of live in landlords advertise on there
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 18th May 17, 4:55 PM
    • 922 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 18th May 17, 4:55 PM
    • 18th May 17, 4:55 PM
    Right move advertise rooms. My husband found one on there. Through an agent - we went to the office and they did everything as though it were a normal house rental.
    • rtho782
    • By rtho782 18th May 17, 5:02 PM
    • 915 Posts
    • 593 Thanks
    rtho782
    • 18th May 17, 5:02 PM
    • 18th May 17, 5:02 PM
    I imagine the LA were worried you were another LA trying to poach their business or trying to get in direct contact with the LL to cut them out.
    Deposit Saved since 01/12/15: 13,000 / 15,000 House Bought!

Debt Cleared since 01/12/15: 6,000 / 7,500
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

8Posts Today

4,161Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Who do you think came out best in the Corbyn v May battle tonight?

• Clever by Paxman; subtly testing out "strong & stable" by focusing on u-turns on Brexit view, social care, self employed tax & election date

• Ps sadly i got in too late to have seen Corbyn, hence why no comment on his performance

• Follow Martin