Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Daniel182
    • By Daniel182 18th May 17, 3:42 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Daniel182
    Changing Energy Suppliers
    • 18th May 17, 3:42 PM
    Changing Energy Suppliers 18th May 17 at 3:42 PM
    Hello

I have an elderly friend that lives in sheltered housing. When my friend first moved in she just went along with all other residents, who are with British Gas.

She never singed any contract etc, just told BG that she had moved in gave her name room number and that's it.

She now wants to change suppliers. Even though nothing was signed and not been with them a full year, will she have to pay a leaving fee?

Thanks
Page 1
    • warwickbears
    • By warwickbears 18th May 17, 3:58 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    warwickbears
    • 18th May 17, 3:58 PM
    • 18th May 17, 3:58 PM
    Hi Daniel

I guess it depends on the contract i.e. if it's a standard variable rate tariff, I suspect there's no exit fee; if it's a fixed rate, and there is an exit fee, it could be deemed your friend has accepted the terms of that contract by using the energy supplied.
    • ASavvyBuyer
    • By ASavvyBuyer 18th May 17, 5:02 PM
    • 464 Posts
    • 1,196 Thanks
    ASavvyBuyer
    • 18th May 17, 5:02 PM
    • 18th May 17, 5:02 PM
    Hi
    It is likely that British Gas would have put her on their most expensive variable tariff (as deeemed supplier) if she did not ask to switch to a fixed tariff. If so, they can not charge an exit fee if it is the deemed tariff.
    By switching, to a fixed tariff, she is likely to make a substantial saving, even if she stays with British Gas, but would probably save even more by switching to another supplier.
    Rhondda Cynon Taf, 4kWp, W roof, 30° pitch, 16 x 8.33 Eternity 250w E+10 panels, Solar Edge SE4000-16A Inverter + P300 Optimisers & REUK Diverter
    + Toshiba RAS-10G2KVP-E Ultra High Efficiency Air Conditioner/Heat Pump
    • macman
    • By macman 19th May 17, 10:01 AM
    • 41,149 Posts
    • 16,880 Thanks
    macman
    • 19th May 17, 10:01 AM
    • 19th May 17, 10:01 AM
    'Room number': are all the rooms individually metered? If so she can switch. If not, she can't. There could also be a private sub-meter system?
    If no tariff was requested, she will be on SVT-the most expensive.
    No signature is necessary, by using the service she has formed a contract.
    The first port of call here should be the management company.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 19th May 17, 11:10 AM
    • 3,478 Posts
    • 1,372 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 19th May 17, 11:10 AM
    • 19th May 17, 11:10 AM
    Hello

I have an elderly friend that lives in sheltered housing. When my friend first moved in she just went along with all other residents, who are with British Gas.

She never singed any contract etc, just told BG that she had moved in gave her name room number and that's it.

She now wants to change suppliers. Even though nothing was signed and not been with them a full year, will she have to pay a leaving fee?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Daniel182
    If she refers to her bill from BG, section 5 will state what her current tariff is and whether or not an exit fee applies

• Daniel182
    • By Daniel182 19th May 17, 3:57 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Daniel182
    • 19th May 17, 3:57 PM
    • 19th May 17, 3:57 PM
    Thank you for all the replies.

I not sure which tariff it would be. I take it, it's just the standard tariff option. The meter's are individual and not just one between all.

Thanks again
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,472Posts Today

8,228Users online

Martin's Twitter