Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • burtons
    • By burtons 18th May 17, 3:40 PM
    • 489Posts
    • 74Thanks
    burtons
    Windows 7 not detecting wireless card
    • 18th May 17, 3:40 PM
    Windows 7 not detecting wireless card 18th May 17 at 3:40 PM
    I bought a windows 7 cd off ebay and installed it on a new hard drive but it's not detecting the wireless card so is there a way to get it to show up in device manager so I can get on the internet.
Page 2
    • were
    • By were 19th May 17, 3:04 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    were
    I to have a samsung n50e7c. Guys, think twice about using the drivers on samsung's site, they are often old. Samsung just sell consumer products, and offer little aftercare and are not interested in it - unlike HP and dell whom usually do.

There is samsung software that will check your drivers and install samsungs latest old driver version your PC. Was installed on mine but removed it, I'm fairly sure yours will have a version too

You need to go to the chipset supplier and get the drivers from there.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 19th May 17, 3:20 PM
    • 3,034 Posts
    • 3,073 Thanks
    DoaM
    But at least getting a driver that works in the first place will get OP going. If there's a WHQL updated driver then Windows Updates will probably find it ... or doing an Update Driver on the WLAN adapter in Device Manager will check Windows Updates site.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 19th May 17, 4:36 PM
    • 7,429 Posts
    • 5,254 Thanks
    esuhl
    Drivers have always been a pita to find!
    Originally posted by were
    I can't say I've had many problems finding drivers. Just go to the manufacturer's website and 98% of they'll be there.
    • were
    • By were 19th May 17, 7:18 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    were
    But at least getting a driver that works in the first place will get OP going. If there's a WHQL updated driver then Windows Updates will probably find it ... or doing an Update Driver on the WLAN adapter in Device Manager will check Windows Updates site.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    That is so obvious, everyone thinks so. So did I at the time, but...

Unfortunately it does not seem to happen like that, the attitude seems to be 'if it seems to sort of works, then dont fix it'. My win 10 was up to date, yet Audacity was complaining about audio drivers, which I thought was weird.

OK I did google first, and this name seemed to be a reoccurringly popping up, Sam Drivers was another. Some people think this is scam pup software, but I'm lazy, and always managed to get rid of pups, so installed the free version of http://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster-pro.php - to be safe, do not do it if you do not know what you are doing.

Anyway I scanned and found 17 whq driver updates, not the pro s/w so updated one at a time. Drivers did stop installing, so gracefully rebooted, ran it a second time, third time until no updates were needed, so uninstalled driver booster

I have had no problems since with my laptop.

have a go if you feel competent enough to potentially handle the possibility of pups and come back and inform me. Perhaps my security was too tight and I did not get infected? Ye of little faith can visit each chip/card/and manufactures website and look for drivers individually.

thank me if you find more than 5 drivers out of date, if yoy get pups or need more than 10, please leave a comment to warn others.

Before updating I know you all made a backup first
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Drivers that always battled with on older windows\linux versions were Alfa drivers - in my eyes the best windows and linux wifi usb wifi ever - they always worked so well, it made me biased
    Last edited by were; 19-05-2017 at 7:46 PM.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 19th May 17, 7:58 PM
    • 3,034 Posts
    • 3,073 Thanks
    DoaM
    That is so obvious, everyone thinks so. So did I at the time, but...

Unfortunately it does not seem to happen like that, the attitude seems to be 'if it seems to sort of works, then dont fix it'.
    Originally posted by were
    Where did I suggest that?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • were
    • By were 20th May 17, 8:28 AM
    • 479 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    were
    I am not at odds with you DoaM, and yes you did not say that

Many people, including me, are under the impression that windows is now all seeing and controlling, and it even checks the av status, will update all to the latest, with no end user control, and you're never sure what it is doing, No one would accept a washing machine if the wash cycle is expected to wash everything, only did the red items, and windows often does not install the latest drivers

Admittedly I have not yet googled Driver Booster. For those manufacturers who do not give a 200meg exe containing every driver in their range, there must be a better way than the common way done here. 26 posts for a simple driver issue and is still not fixed is a travesty in my eyes, and no one here is to blame, but surly there must be a simpler and more easier way, foolproof way?
    • burtons
    • By burtons 20th May 17, 6:22 PM
    • 489 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    burtons
    Thank you. My wireless card is now working
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

103Posts Today

2,571Users online

Martin's Twitter