Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • garybarlowsbeard
    • By garybarlowsbeard 18th May 17, 3:33 PM
    • 360Posts
    • 563Thanks
    garybarlowsbeard
    Using integrated TV wifi through PVR
    • 18th May 17, 3:33 PM
    Using integrated TV wifi through PVR 18th May 17 at 3:33 PM
    Trying to help my parents set their TV up. They have (I think) a DMR-PWT530 HDD recorder and a Toshiba CT8035 TV. The latter has integrated wifi but because its set up through the recorder, the recorder is asking for a wifi dongle. Is there any way of making the recorder use the TV's built in wifi or do they have to buy a dongle?

Hope that makes sense and thanks in advance!
Page 1
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 18th May 17, 3:40 PM
    • 1,840 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 18th May 17, 3:40 PM
    • 18th May 17, 3:40 PM
    Toshiba CT8035 is the remote control.

Either get a dongle for the Panasonic or plug an Ethernet cable into it from the router.
    • garybarlowsbeard
    • By garybarlowsbeard 18th May 17, 4:40 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    garybarlowsbeard
    • 18th May 17, 4:40 PM
    • 18th May 17, 4:40 PM
    Ah right! Sorry about that. So you're saying that even though the TV, which is a D3 series one (I think!) has wifi, because he's using the PVR, dongle or wired connection are the only options?
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 18th May 17, 4:45 PM
    • 1,840 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 18th May 17, 4:45 PM
    • 18th May 17, 4:45 PM
    The TV has both Ethernet and Wi-Fi for it's own Smart functions, if they want to use the Panasonic's Smart functions assuming they are different or remote record, then it will require it own network connection.
    • jshm2
    • By jshm2 18th May 17, 4:52 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    jshm2
    • 18th May 17, 4:52 PM
    • 18th May 17, 4:52 PM
    The recorder will not use any other devices WiFi. You will either need to buy the dongle or run an Ethernet cable.

Alternatively, you could buy a Homeplug kit and that way will not need to run an Ethernet cable through the room. Or better still, just buy a USB powered, external HDD for the TV and use it's recorder functionality and do away with the Panny recorder altogether.
    • bsod
    • By bsod 18th May 17, 5:00 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 727 Thanks
    bsod
    • 18th May 17, 5:00 PM
    • 18th May 17, 5:00 PM
    just use the tv for the smart functions, and the pvr for recording and playback

a pvr has far superior recording functionality compared to a usb drive plugged into a tv.

the tv probably has better smart functions than the pvr, it depends on what smart function they need to use

dongle or wired connection are the only options?
    Originally posted by garybarlowsbeard
    or wifi extender with ethernet port, £15
    Last edited by bsod; 18-05-2017 at 5:17 PM.
    Don't you dare criticise what you cannot understand
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 18th May 17, 6:22 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    JohnB47
    • 18th May 17, 6:22 PM
    • 18th May 17, 6:22 PM
    I agree with bsod. I have a Panasonic smart TV and a Panasonic PVR. The TV has wifi built in but the PVR doesn't.

Thinking that I needed broadband connection to both, I moved the 'phone point and router near to them and I've cabled both into the router.

Having used both for around a year now, I realise that it's best to use smart functions (ie to watch catch-up services using BBC i player, ITV hub etc) using only the TV. I needn't have wired the PVR to the router at all - I've found the PVR slow and lacking apps.

It's a bit fiddly. Unless you use smart functions regularly, it's a bit of a re-learning exercise each time. The TV often is found to have disconnected from the internet when you load an app. It's a simple matter to get it to reconnect but another little procedure to remember how to do.
    • garybarlowsbeard
    • By garybarlowsbeard 20th May 17, 11:18 AM
    • 360 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    garybarlowsbeard
    • 20th May 17, 11:18 AM
    • 20th May 17, 11:18 AM
    If he wants to use the two devices separately am I right in thiunking he'd need to connect them differently? IE, for smart tv, have the wires straight to the aerial, for PVR have it as it is rigged now? Would buying a dongle give the same level of functionality but save the changing connection each time?

Thanks for all the answers!

GBB
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 20th May 17, 1:56 PM
    • 1,840 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 20th May 17, 1:56 PM
    • 20th May 17, 1:56 PM
    If he wants to use the two devices separately am I right in thiunking he'd need to connect them differently? IE, for smart tv, have the wires straight to the aerial, for PVR have it as it is rigged now? Would buying a dongle give the same level of functionality but save the changing connection each time?

Thanks for all the answers!

GBB
    Originally posted by garybarlowsbeard
    Confused, what do you mean by using devices separately?

Surly you use them both together depending on what the user wishes to view, i.e. use the TV to view TV and TV Smart functions and the PVR to record, playback and PVR Smart functions via the TV.

Why change connections?

1. Watch TV and use TV Smart functions, no recording.

TV aerial to TV, internet to TV via Wi-Fi or Ethernet.

2. Watch TV and use TV Smart functions, record TV and use PVR Smart functions.

TV aerial to PVR, RF lead from PVR to TV, HDMI lead from PVR to TV, internet to TV via Wi-Fi or Ethernet, internet to PVR via Wi-Fi (dongle) or Ethernet.

We don't know what Smart functions the TV or PVR have i.e. are they the same or different? Nor do we know what Smart functions the user wishes to actually use / subscribe too?
    • garybarlowsbeard
    • By garybarlowsbeard 20th May 17, 2:31 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    garybarlowsbeard
    It was said:

just use the tv for the smart functions, and the pvr for recording and playback

You ask why change connections but as I understand it in your 1 and 2 options he has to change connections? I'm confused too!
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 21st May 17, 10:56 AM
    • 1,840 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    No he does not need to keep changing them, he decides which option he wants and just selects that.

If he does not want to use the Smart features on the PVR then that adds a third option which is:

3. Watch TV and use TV Smart functions, record TV.

TV aerial to PVR, RF lead from PVR to TV, HDMI lead from PVR to TV, internet to TV via Wi-Fi or Ethernet.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 22nd May 17, 12:56 PM
    • 7,064 Posts
    • 2,827 Thanks
    almillar
    but because its set up through the recorder, the recorder is asking for a wifi dongle
    I very much doubt that's happening.

Is there any way of making the recorder use the TV's built in wifi or do they have to buy a dongle?
    Again, I very much doubt it. The only place the recorder will be getting internet from, is via the ethernet port or a dongle.
    BUT
    If you google the model number of the DVR, and dongle, you might find that you can get it quite cheaply. The DVR will have drivers only for a specific dongle, but if you're lucky it'll be a common one that can be had cheap.

IE, for smart tv, have the wires straight to the aerial, for PVR have it as it is rigged now?
    Smart or not smart TV has no bearing over the aerial connection. The aerial lead should go:

Aerial into DVR RF IN. Then a lead from DVR RF OUT, to TV RF IN. That connection system goes back through the ages to VCRs. Nothing to do with internet, smartness, dongles or WiFi.

You've got a TV capable of connecting to the internet.
    You've got a DVR capable of connecting to the internet.
    The TV's already connected, and you want to do the same with the DVR. It'll cost you SOME money, and you've been given some great suggestions on how to do it. The question is, what are you going to gain from it, and is it worth it?
    • garybarlowsbeard
    • By garybarlowsbeard 22nd May 17, 3:47 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    garybarlowsbeard
    Cheers to everyone but tbh this has gone over my head a lot! Might have to wait until I next go round to my parents and see if it makes more sense when I'm looking at the set-up.

Cheers!
    • almillar
    • By almillar 23rd May 17, 12:41 PM
    • 7,064 Posts
    • 2,827 Thanks
    almillar
    OK, it boils down to this - what do you think you'll get from the DVR connected to the internet, that the TV doesn't already give you?
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 23rd May 17, 1:26 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    JohnB47
    I hope I'm adding to this conversation rather than making it more complicated. I have a Panasonic TV and PVR.

I have an aerial lead fitted between the aerial socket on the wall and the PVR.

I have an aerial lead fitted between the PVR and the TV.

I also have an HDMI lead fitted between the TV and the PVR. See note below.

My TV has built-in WiFi but I decided to cable the TV to the router, nearby. If, like mine, your parents TV has built-in WiFi, you may not need this cable (depends on WiFi strength).

My PVR does not have built-in WiFi and, although I cabled this to the Router too, I found that I don't need to use this. I might as well remove this cable now.

To repeat my earlier post - I use the TV to access apps, not the PVR. I just leave the PVR on standby and switch the TV on and press APPS on the TV remote.

Note. The HDMI lead helps the TV communicate with the PVR. eg when I've finished watching a program that I've recorded, I simply press the TV standby button on the PVRs remote. The TV tells the PVR to go into standby, then it too switches into standby. Similarly, pressing certain buttons on the PVR remote (GUIDE or DIRECT NAVIGATOR or PROG/CHECK) takes both the PVR and TV out of standby automatically.

Hope that helps.
    • missile
    • By missile 24th May 17, 10:35 AM
    • 8,948 Posts
    • 4,336 Thanks
    missile
    I would suggest connect DVR to the router with an ethernet cable and DVR to TV with an HDMI cable.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 24th May 17, 6:42 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    JohnB47
    I would suggest connect DVR to the router with an ethernet cable and DVR to TV with an HDMI cable.
    Originally posted by missile
    I have the same PVR that the OP mentions, but with a larger hard drive. It is much slower than the TV to access apps and there aren't that many apps there. Far better to use the TV for apps and the recorder for recording. Other PVRs might be better of course.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,477Posts Today

7,085Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin