Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Roxy1955
    • By Roxy1955 18th May 17, 2:57 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Roxy1955
    Claiming State Pension
    • 18th May 17, 2:57 PM
    Claiming State Pension 18th May 17 at 2:57 PM
    How confusing. I've received my letter saying I must claim, but when do I claim. Letter implies doing it by 4 months using online, and gives a strong impression you need to do it by 3 months at the latest.
    It also though suggests phoning will be easier, but when I phone I'm told I can't apply until 2 months before my pension entitlement date.
    Anyone got any clues please, only the government could send you a letter and booklet that it seems isn't factually correct.
Page 1
    • greenglide
    • By greenglide 18th May 17, 3:40 PM
    • 2,777 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    greenglide
    • 18th May 17, 3:40 PM
    • 18th May 17, 3:40 PM
    You should be able to use the on-line claim facility now.

They "put off" claims by telephone when they are busy by suggesting people claim in a couple of months but of course that just pushes the can down the road!

The wording on the Invitation to Claim letter has never been brilliant and the IT doesnt get changed to make the wording reflect the current claims handling situation.

I sensible approach might be to send out the BR33 letter closer to the SPa date (four months is a long time these days) but the transaction is initiated by HMRC and require them to change their IT.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 18th May 17, 6:20 PM
    • 22,333 Posts
    • 12,883 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 18th May 17, 6:20 PM
    • 18th May 17, 6:20 PM
    https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension/how-to-claim

There's always the form....

And remember that if you want to receive the pension weekly, you must say so - it won't be offered.
    • judy
    • By judy 18th May 17, 6:27 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    judy
    • 18th May 17, 6:27 PM
    • 18th May 17, 6:27 PM
    I claimed online a couple of months ago - it was very straightforward.
    • Roxy1955
    • By Roxy1955 19th May 17, 4:54 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Roxy1955
    • 19th May 17, 4:54 AM
    • 19th May 17, 4:54 AM
    Thanks everyone, think I will just take the online option. When I phoned though, they seemed to imply that it wouldn't be dealt with until nearer the time anyway and waiting to phone was the best option.
    • mjmal51
    • By mjmal51 19th May 17, 8:22 AM
    • 556 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    mjmal51
    • 19th May 17, 8:22 AM
    • 19th May 17, 8:22 AM
    One benefit of claimng by phone is that you can request that the SP is paid weekly, one week in arrears rather than the only online option which is 4 weeks in arrears.
    They do not offer this on the phone but if you ask them they will do it. I prefer it but it is up to the individual.
    • reeac
    • By reeac 19th May 17, 8:31 AM
    • 1,076 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    reeac
    • 19th May 17, 8:31 AM
    • 19th May 17, 8:31 AM
    I remember that when when I was a few weeks past my 65th birthday and had not received any pension I discovered that you actually had to claim it in order to get it. Naively I had thought that the State must know from its various records that I had reached 65 and would have an automatic system that started paying out. Should have known better .... .
    • greenglide
    • By greenglide 19th May 17, 9:05 AM
    • 2,777 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    greenglide
    • 19th May 17, 9:05 AM
    • 19th May 17, 9:05 AM
    I discovered that you actually had to claim it in order to get it. Naively I had thought that the State must know from its various records that I had reached 65 and would have an automatic system that started paying out
    The "state" does "know".

Normally they send a letter out (an "Invitation to Claim") around four months before you reach State Pension age. However if you have moved and DWP do not have the correct address then it may not get there.

Under certain circumstances people who look to have no entitlement (dont meet the minimum qualifying period etc) were not send a letter (a bit pointless sending a letter telling someone to claim when you know they will get nothing) but I believe they now have a "we believe you have no entitlement" letter they send instead.

You have always had to claim the pension before you actually got it though except for certain people on other benefits already (Pensions Credit and Income Support).
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 19th May 17, 10:27 AM
    • 5,181 Posts
    • 4,347 Thanks
    mgdavid
    • 19th May 17, 10:27 AM
    • 19th May 17, 10:27 AM
    ........ Naively I had thought that the State must know from its various records that I had reached 65 and would have an automatic system that started paying out. Should have known better .... .
    Originally posted by reeac
    had you considered all the people who wish to defer their SP? Can you imagine the hassle in stopping payment and recouping those already paid?
    A salary slave no more.....
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 19th May 17, 1:37 PM
    • 569 Posts
    • 559 Thanks
    badmemory
    had you considered all the people who wish to defer their SP? Can you imagine the hassle in stopping payment and recouping those already paid?
    Originally posted by mgdavid
    Also under the old rules (I believe the new rules are different) you could start off deferring, then take your state pension for a while and then defer again. This would not have been possible if they had just automatically paid out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,112Posts Today

7,983Users online

Martin's Twitter