Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Glw28
    • By Glw28 18th May 17, 2:50 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Glw28
    Continuous local government service
    • 18th May 17, 2:50 PM
    Continuous local government service 18th May 17 at 2:50 PM
    Hello

I currently work for one local authority and plan to get a new job in a couple of months in the neighbouring local authority.

I am planning to have a child this year also so was wondering whether moving between local authorities I would still be eligible for the contractual maternity pay under continuous local government service?
Page 1
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 18th May 17, 7:37 PM
    • 4,126 Posts
    • 4,254 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 18th May 17, 7:37 PM
    • 18th May 17, 7:37 PM
    I know it's not illegal, but to move to a new employer when you are effectively planning to leave them anyway stinks to me!
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 18th May 17, 7:55 PM
    • 1,274 Posts
    • 1,185 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    • 18th May 17, 7:55 PM
    • 18th May 17, 7:55 PM
    Please stay where you are, have your child and if you wish to work after, THEN look for another job. Dont mess employers about (you not telling them you plan to have a baby the same year is evidence you know its just wrong).
    • daisy23169
    • By daisy23169 18th May 17, 8:40 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    daisy23169
    • 18th May 17, 8:40 PM
    • 18th May 17, 8:40 PM
    The occupational maternity pay is based on your LA continuous service so as long as you don't have a break in service between the two authorities then you'll be eligible.

Statutory maternity pay eligibility is based on service with current employer only - I've seen plenty of employees transfer authorities to find they're eligible for OMP but not SMP because they transferred while pregnant and different dates are used.

Sounds like you'd likely qualify for maternity allowance and your OMP tops up the first six weeks anyway so you wouldn't lose out financially, you'd just have to faff about more than if you just got paid the SMP by your employer.

For SMP you need 26 weeks service at the qualifying week, so effectively you need to have been employed for a week before getting pregnant.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

161Posts Today

1,470Users online

Martin's Twitter