Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vonsworld
    • By vonsworld 18th May 17, 2:35 PM
    • 55Posts
    • 5Thanks
    vonsworld
    Diamond Ring: Insurance Valuation vs Sale Price
    • 18th May 17, 2:35 PM
    Diamond Ring: Insurance Valuation vs Sale Price 18th May 17 at 2:35 PM
    Hello

We inherited a diamond solitaire ring from an Aunt about 30 years ago and are considering selling it perhaps on Ebay or at a Jewellery Auction.

Recently the ring was valued by a well established Jeweller for Insurance purposes based on the second hand replacement value, which was £4950.

It's quite a nice ring set in Platinum, 0.97 carats, Old Brilliant Cut and near colourless.

Now of course insurance valuations do not reflect the amount you should expect to receive if you sold the ring or if you tried to buy the same from a Jewellers window.

So how much do you think I should expect to sell the ring for on Ebay or another auction?

I know this is a difficult question to answer, but from your knowledge or experience could you suggest a ballpark figure?

I have been looking on Ebay and found a similar style of ring, same cut but smaller at 0.60 carats and in 18ct Gold, offered for £3000. This could be a guide, but it hasn't sold yet!

Thanks for your feedback :-)
Page 1
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 18th May 17, 4:59 PM
    • 999 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    • 18th May 17, 4:59 PM
    • 18th May 17, 4:59 PM
    So long as the valuation states exactly what the ring is (IE clarity, colour, diamond size and type etc) then it doesn't matter what figure there is on the valuation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,433Posts Today

9,314Users online

Martin's Twitter