Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fbird
    • By Fbird 18th May 17, 2:14 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Fbird
    Cigarettes
    • 18th May 17, 2:14 PM
    Cigarettes 18th May 17 at 2:14 PM
    Hi everyone

I know smoking is bad blah blah blah but I can't help it. Bad habit, tried to kick it many a time and failed.

I understand from Sunday the cheapest pack of 20 fags will cost £8.82? Gone are the days of the so called budget smokes

Anyhow where does this leave the pricing of say premium brands such as Marlboro? As currently they cost a tenner for 20 fags. Will they be on the rise too?

Page 1
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 18th May 17, 5:02 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 4,891 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 18th May 17, 5:02 PM
    • 18th May 17, 5:02 PM
    Hi everyone

I know smoking is bad blah blah blah but I can't help it. Bad habit, tried to kick it many a time and failed.

I understand from Sunday the cheapest pack of 20 fags will cost £8.82? Gone are the days of the so called budget smokes

Anyhow where does this leave the pricing of say premium brands such as Marlboro? As currently they cost a tenner for 20 fags. Will they be on the rise too?

Originally posted by Fbird

Some years ago, my uncle's doctor told him to give up smoking or he wouldn't have long to live.

He gave up immediately.
    • London50
    • By London50 18th May 17, 5:36 PM
    • 1,507 Posts
    • 1,425 Thanks
    London50
    • 18th May 17, 5:36 PM
    • 18th May 17, 5:36 PM
    Once one puts up the price it goes without saying the rest will soon follow.
    I started smoking at the age of 11/12 and tried just about every brand on the market, in the end {smokers cough} I changed to rolling my own {it was at that time a lot cheaper than ready rolled}. In 1999 I was found to have a bad heart condition and the doctor told me pack it in, this through will power I was not able to do so carried on until 3 years ago, with rolling costing at that time around £16/17 and lasted around 2 weeks I took a chance on eCigs and can honestly say that in the last 2/2.5 years I have not had one "normal" smoke since.
    After the cost of the eCig devise {around £30} and the filters {around £8 but last around a month each} the only cost is the liquid {around £3 for a 10ml bottle that lasts me around 5/6 days} there is no other outlay.
    If you are prepared to try it and give it a chance you could both stop the normal smoking you are doing and save a lot of money but still have the enjoyment.
    As an ex smoker I do not judge smokers in any way {I know how hard it is to give it up} but it MAY be worth a try so at least think about it. :0)
    • Fbird
    • By Fbird 18th May 17, 5:50 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Fbird
    • 18th May 17, 5:50 PM
    • 18th May 17, 5:50 PM
    I have got a ruined chest, can't get about half as much as I did without getting out of puff.

I will look in to this vaping thing, as everyone seems to do it these days. What is the best starter setup?

Many thanks for the advice

However does any retailer have any given information about brands such as Embassy and Marlboro as a price rise etc?

Cheers
    • London50
    • By London50 18th May 17, 6:20 PM
    • 1,507 Posts
    • 1,425 Thanks
    London50
    • 18th May 17, 6:20 PM
    • 18th May 17, 6:20 PM
    The machine I have is the Innokin cool fire IV plus the liquid holder to match. If you put that name into either search engine or Amazon where I bough mine you can see the price ect. Liquids are a personal choice, I am using Diamond mist USA mix but there are many companies and even more flavors than you could ever imagine.
    When I started I was buying Diamond mist rechargeable batteries and the matching liquids but upgraded about 18/20 months back to the set up I have now as I can adjust the power depending on how much vapor ect I want.
    Give it a look, my set up may not suit you but trying a few flavors and depending on how much you choose to spend may be helpful for you. Good Luck :0)
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 18th May 17, 6:31 PM
    • 1,227 Posts
    • 2,591 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 18th May 17, 6:31 PM
    • 18th May 17, 6:31 PM
    I don't know if Marlboro etc will increase their price, but as they are already above the minimum excise floor they don't need to, it would be for profit rather than taxation.

Do you fancy a trip to Europe? Not sure about the mainland but in Majorca Marlboro are €50 for 200. I haven't bought cigarettes in the UK for years!
    • Fbird
    • By Fbird 18th May 17, 7:13 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Fbird
    • 18th May 17, 7:13 PM
    • 18th May 17, 7:13 PM
    I'd need a Passport before going to Europe.

Last time I was overseas a 20 deck was 2.7 Euro (2004) this was in Crete.
    • London50
    • By London50 18th May 17, 9:16 PM
    • 1,507 Posts
    • 1,425 Thanks
    London50
    • 18th May 17, 9:16 PM
    • 18th May 17, 9:16 PM
    With tobacco flavor eliquid take a look at link below, I would think it SHOULD be close to what you are used to. This is one of the companies I buy from and costing means that buying 1 bottle or 100 bottles you still only pay the one p&p {std delivery max £2.99}.

https://www.7dayshop.com/e-liquids-juice-and-driper-fluid/diamond-mist-e-liquid-gold-silver-10ml-18mg-nicotine
    • Fbird
    • By Fbird 18th May 17, 10:42 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Fbird
    • 18th May 17, 10:42 PM
    • 18th May 17, 10:42 PM
    What does the adjustable voltage on the e-cig do? Does it make more vape clouds? Or enhance the flavour?

Thanks.
    • London50
    • By London50 18th May 17, 10:54 PM
    • 1,507 Posts
    • 1,425 Thanks
    London50
    Both... the higher the voltage the more flavor and a much larger vape cloud.
    • Fbird
    • By Fbird 18th May 17, 11:08 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Fbird
    Ah I see People blowing massive clouds, but not with them Pen thingies.

I will sure give this a look at with the Tobacco flavour juice, not in to these obscure flavours and fruity ones.

Does the Clearomizer need a regular clean? Or just bin it and replace with a new one?

Thanks
    • London50
    • By London50 18th May 17, 11:28 PM
    • 1,507 Posts
    • 1,425 Thanks
    London50
    I just replace mine around once a month or if I start to get a burning taste from the filter {the set up I have is a glass/pyrex container that the filters go inside}

https://www.amazon.co.uk/INNOKIN-Black-Prism-T22-Tank/dp/B01BDIBRPE/ref=pd_sim_121_5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=W5SX4 02D3AKMDVR9AH7T

You can buy the bits to make your own up but as the cotton comes from China it is nearly a month for delivery I just buy the packs of filters and use them instead

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Innokin-Prism-replacement-coil-1-5ohm/dp/B018ZLX926/ref=pd_bxgy_121_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Y363 QCC329934HFV67QJ
    • mollycoddle
    • By mollycoddle 18th May 17, 11:30 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    mollycoddle
    hi
    all questions answered here = uk vapers

And to be honest with you first kit you want to buy is the eleaf istick 40w & an aspire nautilus x tank

( look for both on google ) sure fire way you will never touch the ciggies again
    or above is good
    • Fbird
    • By Fbird 18th May 17, 11:51 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Fbird
    Anywhere I should avoid buying from? I don't want it to explode....
    • London50
    • By London50 19th May 17, 12:01 AM
    • 1,507 Posts
    • 1,425 Thanks
    London50
    As long as you use either genuine vape shops/Amazon but not IMO market stalls you will have no problems and go for a "make" {at least with Amazon the reviews are helpful on that line} and follow the instructions that come with the devises you will be fine. :0)
    • London50
    • By London50 19th May 17, 12:05 AM
    • 1,507 Posts
    • 1,425 Thanks
    London50
    If you check online as Mollycoddle says you can find a number of forums that will also steer you right and can advise if you hit any problems or just want to know anything else regarding vaping in general.{at my age 80+ I do not use them but others I know seem to think they are worthwhile at times. :0)
    • Fbird
    • By Fbird 19th May 17, 12:10 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Fbird
    Many thanks will certainly look in to this, day off tomorrow so will have a read and more than likely purchase
    • London50
    • By London50 19th May 17, 12:15 AM
    • 1,507 Posts
    • 1,425 Thanks
    London50
    No problem, glad I could be of some help, if you do take up vaping I hope you enjoy it as much as I have and after that first main fork out the money you can save could go to other wishful things for you. Enjoy :0)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,727Posts Today

6,297Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin