Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tiners
    • By Tiners 18th May 17, 1:33 PM
    • 190Posts
    • 203Thanks
    Tiners
    Requesting an Unaccompanied 2nd viewing?
    • 18th May 17, 1:33 PM
    Requesting an Unaccompanied 2nd viewing? 18th May 17 at 1:33 PM
    When viewing houses I tend to find I spend more time and mental energy having to make polite conversation with the EA showing (following) me round and it proves to be a major distraction from the job in hand of actually looking at the property!

There is now one property that I'm potentially interested in to the point of wanting to arrange a 2nd viewing, would it be unreasonable/unusual/odd to request the viewing be unaccompanied? Just so I can spend a good 15-20 mins in the house (and garden) quietly trying to get a 'feel' for the property and the immediate surroundings?

This particular property is completely empty following a refurb, has been on the market for a long time, over a year, and is only 100 yards away from the EA's office so it shouldn't be too inconvenient for them to meet me there and then pop back 20 minutes later to see me out and lock up.

Is it a reasonable request or would I be regarded as a complete oddball?!
Page 2
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 19th May 17, 1:57 AM
    • 3,086 Posts
    • 6,338 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    Like LEJC we've previously had unaccompanied viewings on completely empty properties.

Our first viewing of our current house in 2014 was a rushed affair - the EA knew we'd driven three and a half hours solely to view this one house, yet chivvied us along to the point where we went into the large, overgrown garden expecting to go back inside for a second look around only to find she'd locked the door and was ready to head off to her next appointment.

When we viewed for a second time, we specifically stated that we wanted an hour slot.....which we got

By the third viewing - offer now accepted - we asked if we could pick up the keys and have an hour or two at the house on our own, to which the EA readily agreed.

A previous house purchase in a different county went similarly. Once we'd had an offer accepted the EA - and vendors who no longer lived at the property - were prefectly happy to give us the keys. In fact the vendors allowed us to move most of our stuff in between exchange and completion on that one
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free since age 40 (2007)

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

780Posts Today

6,160Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin