PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Requesting an Unaccompanied 2nd viewing?

2»

Comments

• ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Tiners wrote: »
    I think the main reason I'd like a bit of 'quiet time' in the house and garden is to try and assess any potential noise disturbance from attached neighbours and the surrounding properties,

You won't get an accurate assessment from one or two visits: you need to get the average over visits at different times of the day and night. Personally, noise when I'm trying to sleep at night is worse than during the day, and I probably won't get a viewing at midnight on a Sunday night....

Suggest you have a walk around the local streets at different times of the day and night yourself if that's your main concern.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904
    First Post
    Forumite
    With most, if not all viewings I've made, the EA or vendor has asked at the end of the viewing if I'd like a while to walk round myself. I like this because then I can look at things I want to instead of potentially being steered away from problem areas.

I've also offered prospective buyers the chance to take 15 mins or so when I've been selling so that they can discuss things amongst themselves.

In the same way that I don't like salespeople walking straight up to me in a shop I suppose.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,468
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    They can't give you keys so have to be there to let you in and lock up behind you. Short of them sitting in their car, they'll have to be inside with you.

The house I'm currently in was empty and the EA was from hell. I absolutely hated the company. He accompanied me on my third viewing to measure up so I knew what I could bring. Was moving from a house twice the size nearly. He wanted me out as quickly as possible and was rushing me terribly to the point I was f-ing up all my notes. The 'distracting friend' suggestion was a good one. Wish I'd taken my mum - she'd have kept him out of my way for hours...
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Rosieandjim
    Rosieandjim Posts: 254 Forumite
    I would be upfront and explain that I wanted to get a feel for the property and would he mind staying quiet in one room whilst you explored. If he is not allowed to stay in one room and insists on following you around I would ask that he does not speak.

I cannot understand why you cannot say this?
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'm guessing insurance / the companies code of conduct probably stipulates the EA must stay. I'd just be honest. Explain you want a decent amount of time to check out every room and so would they mind you having a 30 min slot and the EA just sitting in the living room? As others say, if they want the sale, this doesn't sound unreasonable.
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    I have to say it all depends on the agent.

over the last few years we have bought several properties and have dealt with several who all have differing policies on unaccompanied viewings....all the viewing were after we had had an offer accepted,no idea if this makes a difference

One agent was more than happy to allow us to go in to an empty property to measure up for things and I believe also handed keys to our chosen window company to measure up....
    however other agents when we have requested entry for quotes etc have either flatly refused or insisted on being at best sat in their car outside or tailing round 2 paces behind.

I don't think there is consistency though the profession of what is right or wrong.
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,583
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    As others have said I think you need to be more assertive about what you want.
    The ea is interested in making a sale not in being your best friend, so just politely say "do you mind if we don't chat as I'd like to get a good feel for the place". Absolutely no reason at all why any business person would be offended by that.
  • Tiners
    Tiners Posts: 232 Forumite
    Thanks again, yes definitely need to be a little more assertive and maybe even a little less polite... and not feel obliged to make constant small talk with EA!
  • phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Like LEJC we've previously had unaccompanied viewings on completely empty properties.

Our first viewing of our current house in 2014 was a rushed affair - the EA knew we'd driven three and a half hours solely to view this one house, yet chivvied us along to the point where we went into the large, overgrown garden expecting to go back inside for a second look around only to find she'd locked the door and was ready to head off to her next appointment.

When we viewed for a second time, we specifically stated that we wanted an hour slot.....which we got ;)

By the third viewing - offer now accepted - we asked if we could pick up the keys and have an hour or two at the house on our own, to which the EA readily agreed.

A previous house purchase in a different county went similarly. Once we'd had an offer accepted the EA - and vendors who no longer lived at the property - were prefectly happy to give us the keys. In fact the vendors allowed us to move most of our stuff in between exchange and completion on that one :rotfl:
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family