Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tiners
    • By Tiners 18th May 17, 1:33 PM
    • 142Posts
    • 165Thanks
    Tiners
    Requesting an Unaccompanied 2nd viewing?
    • 18th May 17, 1:33 PM
    Requesting an Unaccompanied 2nd viewing? 18th May 17 at 1:33 PM
    When viewing houses I tend to find I spend more time and mental energy having to make polite conversation with the EA showing (following) me round and it proves to be a major distraction from the job in hand of actually looking at the property!

There is now one property that I'm potentially interested in to the point of wanting to arrange a 2nd viewing, would it be unreasonable/unusual/odd to request the viewing be unaccompanied? Just so I can spend a good 15-20 mins in the house (and garden) quietly trying to get a 'feel' for the property and the immediate surroundings?

This particular property is completely empty following a refurb, has been on the market for a long time, over a year, and is only 100 yards away from the EA's office so it shouldn't be too inconvenient for them to meet me there and then pop back 20 minutes later to see me out and lock up.

Is it a reasonable request or would I be regarded as a complete oddball?!
Page 1
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 18th May 17, 1:39 PM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 3,552 Thanks
    Penitent
    • 18th May 17, 1:39 PM
    • 18th May 17, 1:39 PM
    I can't see them leaving the property completely (even if it is empty). Might be more realistic to ask them if it's okay if they wait in the living room/hall while you get a feel for the place.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 18th May 17, 1:40 PM
    • 5,393 Posts
    • 5,082 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 18th May 17, 1:40 PM
    • 18th May 17, 1:40 PM
    Is it a reasonable request or would I be regarded as a complete oddball?!
    Originally posted by Tiners
    Probably more towards the latter...

I suspect most sellers would prefer buyers to be supervised in some way. That doesn't mean they need to be within arm's length, in my experience it's pretty common for the viewing person from the agents just to hang around in one room and let you wander round. Perhaps just politely drop hints that you'd like to have a look round without constant chat.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 18th May 17, 1:50 PM
    • 14,447 Posts
    • 14,096 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 18th May 17, 1:50 PM
    • 18th May 17, 1:50 PM
    OP would you let someone walk around unaccompanied in your house?...
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 18th May 17, 1:52 PM
    • 3,614 Posts
    • 7,213 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    • 18th May 17, 1:52 PM
    • 18th May 17, 1:52 PM
    (most) Estate agents are insured for the purpose of viewing, for accidental damages, theft and the like. Unaccompanied, there would be no insurance. However, asking them to sit quietly downstairs while you assess the place shouldn't present a problem. Done something similar, when I asked if one of the older agents could do a viewing, as the younger ones were just so.... loud!
    • G_M
    • By G_M 18th May 17, 1:56 PM
    • 40,067 Posts
    • 45,755 Thanks
    G_M
    • 18th May 17, 1:56 PM
    • 18th May 17, 1:56 PM
    Take a partner, friend, builder or just that wierd bloke who always wants to chat to you in the pub!

Then split up. Partner (friend, pub-bloke) keeps EA engaged in conversation downstairs while you have a wander about.

I've done that (yes from both sides - I've been the wierd bloke and helped out a stranger I knew from the pub. Great fun inventing a whole backstory of our relationship - kids and all.)
    • Hoploz
    • By Hoploz 18th May 17, 2:06 PM
    • 3,544 Posts
    • 3,123 Thanks
    Hoploz
    • 18th May 17, 2:06 PM
    • 18th May 17, 2:06 PM
    It's not uncommon for EAs to behavi differently on a second viewing than a first. They're more likely to let you wander around yourself the second time.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 18th May 17, 2:11 PM
    • 1,245 Posts
    • 1,526 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 18th May 17, 2:11 PM
    • 18th May 17, 2:11 PM
    At the risk of giving an obvious solution, just tell them what you've told us and ask them to give you some space during the viewing.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 18th May 17, 2:19 PM
    • 17,863 Posts
    • 13,557 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 18th May 17, 2:19 PM
    • 18th May 17, 2:19 PM
    OP would you let someone walk around unaccompanied in your house?...
    Originally posted by Guest101
    Yes, when it's "completely empty" as the OP has said. I've viewed several houses without either the EA or vendor present, usually when the vendor is no longer in occupation.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 18th May 17, 3:49 PM
    • 14,447 Posts
    • 14,096 Thanks
    Guest101
    Yes, when it's "completely empty" as the OP has said. I've viewed several houses without either the EA or vendor present, usually when the vendor is no longer in occupation.
    Originally posted by agrinnall

That's a fair point, I missed the completely empty part
    • Tiners
    • By Tiners 18th May 17, 4:03 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    Tiners
    Thanks for all the replies, as I said the property is completely empty, doesn't even have carpets, obviously yes it would be a completely unreasonable request in a home full of possessions!
    Although, having said that, when I was last selling I just allowed viewers to wonder round freely and then come back and find me in the living room for any chat and questions.

I have occasionally took my sister along on a couple of previous viewings of other proprieties, partly for a second opinion and partly to try and distract the agent! But she's not very good at it, I just usually end up with her and the agent following me everywhere!

I've never actually been for a 2nd viewing previously so maybe EA's do give you a bit more freedom... I just find on all first viewings the EA's very much hover around, follow you from room to room and generally distract you from really taking anything in.

I think the main reason I'd like a bit of 'quiet time' in the house and garden is to try and assess any potential noise disturbance from attached neighbours and the surrounding properties,
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 18th May 17, 4:05 PM
    • 1,672 Posts
    • 2,418 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    That's a fair point, I missed the completely empty part
    Originally posted by Guest101
    A viewer could still cause damage to the place even if there's nothing to nick. And sometimes completely empty buildings mysteriously burn down, especially if there's an opportunity to redevelop the land they sit on....

OP - you can ask, but consider what to do if they say no. Personally, I'd be less polite and not make smalltalk - either ignore them, or proactively ask them to shut up as you want to "get a feel for the place".
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 18th May 17, 4:11 PM
    • 1,672 Posts
    • 2,418 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    I think the main reason I'd like a bit of 'quiet time' in the house and garden is to try and assess any potential noise disturbance from attached neighbours and the surrounding properties,
    Originally posted by Tiners
    You won't get an accurate assessment from one or two visits: you need to get the average over visits at different times of the day and night. Personally, noise when I'm trying to sleep at night is worse than during the day, and I probably won't get a viewing at midnight on a Sunday night....

Suggest you have a walk around the local streets at different times of the day and night yourself if that's your main concern.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 18th May 17, 4:18 PM
    • 391 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    With most, if not all viewings I've made, the EA or vendor has asked at the end of the viewing if I'd like a while to walk round myself. I like this because then I can look at things I want to instead of potentially being steered away from problem areas.

I've also offered prospective buyers the chance to take 15 mins or so when I've been selling so that they can discuss things amongst themselves.

In the same way that I don't like salespeople walking straight up to me in a shop I suppose.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 18th May 17, 4:19 PM
    • 9,150 Posts
    • 11,501 Thanks
    hazyjo
    They can't give you keys so have to be there to let you in and lock up behind you. Short of them sitting in their car, they'll have to be inside with you.

The house I'm currently in was empty and the EA was from hell. I absolutely hated the company. He accompanied me on my third viewing to measure up so I knew what I could bring. Was moving from a house twice the size nearly. He wanted me out as quickly as possible and was rushing me terribly to the point I was f-ing up all my notes. The 'distracting friend' suggestion was a good one. Wish I'd taken my mum - she'd have kept him out of my way for hours...
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies)
    • Rosieandjim
    • By Rosieandjim 18th May 17, 4:55 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    Rosieandjim
    I would be upfront and explain that I wanted to get a feel for the property and would he mind staying quiet in one room whilst you explored. If he is not allowed to stay in one room and insists on following you around I would ask that he does not speak.

I cannot understand why you cannot say this?
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 18th May 17, 5:05 PM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 1,033 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    I'm guessing insurance / the companies code of conduct probably stipulates the EA must stay. I'd just be honest. Explain you want a decent amount of time to check out every room and so would they mind you having a 30 min slot and the EA just sitting in the living room? As others say, if they want the sale, this doesn't sound unreasonable.
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 18th May 17, 5:22 PM
    • 8,746 Posts
    • 55,123 Thanks
    LEJC
    I have to say it all depends on the agent.

over the last few years we have bought several properties and have dealt with several who all have differing policies on unaccompanied viewings....all the viewing were after we had had an offer accepted,no idea if this makes a difference

One agent was more than happy to allow us to go in to an empty property to measure up for things and I believe also handed keys to our chosen window company to measure up....
    however other agents when we have requested entry for quotes etc have either flatly refused or insisted on being at best sat in their car outside or tailing round 2 paces behind.

I don't think there is consistency though the profession of what is right or wrong.
    frugal October...£45.59 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!
    Jan £41.60/£40
    Feb £54.58/£40...gave up this month 15/2
    Mar £37.02/£40...lots of help via a gift card and vouchers
    May
    2017 toiletries 93 out 83 in ...£13.96 spend
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 18th May 17, 6:42 PM
    • 21,027 Posts
    • 10,036 Thanks
    lisyloo
    As others have said I think you need to be more assertive about what you want.
    The ea is interested in making a sale not in being your best friend, so just politely say "do you mind if we don't chat as I'd like to get a good feel for the place". Absolutely no reason at all why any business person would be offended by that.
    • Tiners
    • By Tiners 18th May 17, 6:58 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    Tiners
    Thanks again, yes definitely need to be a little more assertive and maybe even a little less polite... and not feel obliged to make constant small talk with EA!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

980Posts Today

7,206Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin