Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hans 2
    • By hans 2 18th May 17, 12:05 PM
    • 352Posts
    • 202Thanks
    hans 2
    26cc Petrol Line Trimmer
    • 18th May 17, 12:05 PM
    26cc Petrol Line Trimmer 18th May 17 at 12:05 PM
    Can anyone recommend a good reliable one..
    Reviews are so confusing.
    Prefer a loop handle.

Thanks
Page 1
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 19th May 17, 9:15 AM
    • 22,591 Posts
    • 87,438 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 19th May 17, 9:15 AM
    • 19th May 17, 9:15 AM
    No one can recommed anything with conviction if you don't say exactly what it's for and what your budget is.

A 26cc line trimmer isn't a heavy duty machine, but presumably you need to be away from the reach of a mains cable. This will mainly limit you to 2 stroke machines, which are notorious for not starting after a year or two, if they're cheap Chinese jobbies. Something made by Stihl or Kawasaki would be OK long term. Stihl dealers are easy to find.

Or you could go for a Honda 25cc like this:

https://www.radmoretucker.co.uk/product/Honda-UMK425LE-Petrol-Brushcutter?gclid=CLPDjfi_-9MCFaa17QodjVAE0w

.....which is a 4 stroke. I have the 35cc version and it's still going after nearly 8 years of continual abuse. It only gave trouble once, when I put Tesco petrol in it!

But....now there are battery operated machines which will prove more reliable for occasional users, and if they are made by a company which manufactures power tools, like Makita or DeWalt, then they can be bought bare and share the batteries of new models. Look at Screwfix for ideas here.

So, lots to think about, but if you go cheap 2 stroke, you'll regret in the longer term.

By the way, I have bike handles. Not so good for precise work, but on larger areas, much better.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • YellowVurt
    • By YellowVurt 19th May 17, 2:07 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    YellowVurt
    • 19th May 17, 2:07 PM
    • 19th May 17, 2:07 PM
    Another vote for the Honda 4 stroke here, though I have the cow horn version that includes the brushcutter star blade.

http://www.gardenmachinerydirect.co.uk/strimmers-and-brushcutters/honda-strimmers-and-brushcutters-umk425ue.html
    • Justagardener
    • By Justagardener 19th May 17, 3:08 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Justagardener
    • 19th May 17, 3:08 PM
    • 19th May 17, 3:08 PM
    Hugely depends on what you want to use it for and for how long. I Use both Honda and Stihl, both reliable, prefer the cowhorn version myself.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 19th May 17, 5:32 PM
    • 22,591 Posts
    • 87,438 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 19th May 17, 5:32 PM
    • 19th May 17, 5:32 PM
    I stuck one of these on my 35cc Honda and use it with a 3.5mm serrated flexiblade line:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/1b3/Jet-Fit-111110-Universal-Easy-Load-Trimmer-Straight-Flexiblade/B002X3EGK2/ref=pd_sim_60_7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=WEVZJM QRCM7114E0V2CW

Although I think the Honda is a bit under-powered for this set-up, it's the best I've had yet in my situation, which is basically agricultural.

The next one will have more "oomph," but I love the Honda for not being temperamental.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • hans 2
    • By hans 2 19th May 17, 6:15 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    hans 2
    • 19th May 17, 6:15 PM
    • 19th May 17, 6:15 PM

Ordered a STIHL Grass Trimmers FS 50 C-E Petrol Small with ErgoStart technology.

£169.00 (best price I found by far)

No requirement for heavy duty strimmer so this should be fine..
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 19th May 17, 9:51 PM
    • 22,591 Posts
    • 87,438 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 19th May 17, 9:51 PM
    • 19th May 17, 9:51 PM
    That was quick! I would take a week choosing, then probably another week just to make sure!

The small Stihl will be fine. I was secretly hoping you might go battery, but I guess many still see that as something that belongs on drills, not garden machines.

I went battery for my last chain saw. Early days, but I'm impressed.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 19th May 17, 10:34 PM
    • 2,248 Posts
    • 2,484 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 19th May 17, 10:34 PM
    • 19th May 17, 10:34 PM
    I hope you're not going to be using it much - the vibrations on that stihl are horrendous. It'll be fine for edge trimming, but it's not a clearing machine.

I've used most of the main brands. Echo and Tanaka are the best and so much nicer to use than Stihl etc. But you've bought now, so no point in retrospective advice sorry!
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 22nd May 17, 8:00 AM
    • 25,807 Posts
    • 32,462 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    • 22nd May 17, 8:00 AM
    • 22nd May 17, 8:00 AM
    Word of advice. Empty petrol from tank after the last cut and run the engine till fuel used up. Old fuel is one of the main reasons for poor running and non starting in the spring.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

947Posts Today

7,044Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin