Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Johnjones7656
    • By Johnjones7656 18th May 17, 11:09 AM
    • 24Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Johnjones7656
    FTB-chasing up solicitor
    • 18th May 17, 11:09 AM
    FTB-chasing up solicitor 18th May 17 at 11:09 AM
    Hi, I'm a first time buyer and have read about chasing your solicitor. But because I don't fully understand the process of buying a house (have read lots of stuff but nothing ever gives you a full step by step guide!!) I'm not sure if I should be chasing the solicitor and what for??
    The searches were instructed and paid for on 20th apr and mortgage was approved on 5th may. What should I be asking the solicitor about??
Page 1
    • HolySalami
    • By HolySalami 18th May 17, 11:26 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    HolySalami
    • 18th May 17, 11:26 AM
    • 18th May 17, 11:26 AM
    Have they issued you copies of the search reports yet, they should be back with them by now?

Have they raised an quiries on the title deeds/contract back to the vendors? If so have you seen them?
    • DumbMuscle
    • By DumbMuscle 18th May 17, 11:33 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    DumbMuscle
    • 18th May 17, 11:33 AM
    • 18th May 17, 11:33 AM
    Have the searches come back? (the time taken for this can vary hugely around the country)
    Have you had a mortgage AIP or a full offer? If the latter, have you been given the mortgage deed to sign (and return to your solicitor)?
    Has the solicitor received the title pack from the seller's solicitor? Were there any questions arising from this which needed addressing (e.g. planning/building control permission for previous work done to the house)?
    Have they received the fixtures+fittings list from the seller's solicitor?
    Ask the solicitor what they are waiting for a) from you, b) from the sellers, and c) from any searches. Ask for timescales. Let them know when you want to complete by.

As an FTB, you will mostly be waiting for info from the seller and searches. You can ask your solicitor for the details and reference numbers to allow you to chase these up yourself, rather than having them spend time (and your money) doing so, or let the estate agent know and they might do the chasing for you.

What you should be getting from your solicitor at various points:

- When the mortgage offer comes through, an explanation pointing out any particular obligations you have under the agreement, and the mortgage deed to sign.
    - When the seller provides the title pack and fixtures and fittings document, an explanation of any issues arising from that, and a list of questions which have been posed to the seller as a result. Also possibly a copy of the land registry entry to check the boundaries are what you expect.
    - When the searches come back, an explanation of any issues arising and a list of questions posed to the seller as a result (or suggestions for how to remedy it yourself)
    - The answers to any of the questions posed to the seller, as they come in.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 18th May 17, 12:15 PM
    • 4,480 Posts
    • 4,147 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 18th May 17, 12:15 PM
    • 18th May 17, 12:15 PM
    A critical question is: Are you in a chain?

(i.e. Does your seller need to find another place to live, etc, etc)

If so, you can only exchange contracts when everyone in the chain is ready.

If the chain isn't yet complete, your seller may be 'moving slowly' to avoid paying legal fees at this stage.

So ask the EA if there is a chain, and whether it's complete. If it is complete, it might make sense to chase your solicitor. (But be aware that EAs sometimes over-state things.)
    • Johnjones7656
    • By Johnjones7656 18th May 17, 12:30 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Johnjones7656
    • 18th May 17, 12:30 PM
    • 18th May 17, 12:30 PM
    Thanks!
    There's no chain. I don't want to be seen as dragging my heels but just didn't know what I was meant to be asking the solicitor about!!
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 18th May 17, 2:23 PM
    • 5,465 Posts
    • 7,147 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    • 18th May 17, 2:23 PM
    • 18th May 17, 2:23 PM
    I would suggest that you speak to your solicisitor and ask them what the next thing they need / are expecting is and whether they can give you an idea of likely timescales. Explain you don't want to chase them unnecessarily. Ask them to let you know if they feel it would be helpful for you to chase the agents ( who can then in turn chase the seller, if needed)

That way, you will get a better idea of what to expect, and can avoid stressing yourself our, and stressing your solicitor out, y chasing when it is not necessary.

Most solicitors and conveyancers work fast and get stuff out pretty promptly when the have it; unless you are unlucky with yours, if you haven't heard it is usually because there is nothing to tell you, and chasing is pointless.

Asking them specifcally what they are waiting for and how long they expect it ito take measn you can chase the right person - if they are waiting for replus from your sellers, then chasing the agent (who can chase their client) is more efficient than chasing your solicitor. If they are waiting for searches then you just have to wait, but they can probably give you a reasonably accurate idea of how long for. If they are waiting for the survey / valuation then chasing the surveyor if it is late is more effective than chasing the solicitor, and so on.

And if you are unlucky and do have a slow or inefficient conveyancer, then if you chase and are saying "We spoke on 15th and you said that you thought the replies would be back by 20th, it s the 21st now so I'm calling to ask whether they have arrived and if not, to ask that you chase the seller' is more effective then if you just call every 3 days regardlesss.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

276Posts Today

2,737Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin