Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Honkycat
    • By Honkycat 18th May 17, 10:55 AM
    • 470Posts
    • 196Thanks
    Honkycat
    Wilting Silver Birch
    • 18th May 17, 10:55 AM
    Wilting Silver Birch 18th May 17 at 10:55 AM
    Hi,
    I planted 3 silver birches a year ago. Two are doing well, but one is wilting severely. Just wondering if anyone could help me with a diagnosis? They are 15 ft high.

Thanks,
    Steve.
Page 1
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 18th May 17, 11:36 AM
    • 23,565 Posts
    • 89,428 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 18th May 17, 11:36 AM
    • 18th May 17, 11:36 AM
    Wilting is usually because something's wrong at the roots; often simple dryness, but it can also be when the roots have rotted through being too wet.

Otherwise, the most likely culprit is disease, though birch are normally tough old things.

I have a similar problem with two of mine; not wilting, but just not thriving, so few leaves. I have just given them a stern talking-to, as I planted dozens of other small trees with them in 2013. If they cant cut it in the woodland, then off with their heads!

So, plenty more trees to plant next winter for pennies if these fail, but I guess if you are talking betula ermanii at £35 each, such a cavalier approach might be expensive!
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Honkycat
    • By Honkycat 18th May 17, 11:47 AM
    • 470 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    Honkycat
    • 18th May 17, 11:47 AM
    • 18th May 17, 11:47 AM
    Thank you,
    The leaves seem ok strangely enough, but the branches are wilting and the whole top is bent over. Very annoying as you say, because I don't want to fork out for another one that may not be the same size as the other two either. I would post a photo, but don't know if that's possible.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 18th May 17, 1:41 PM
    • 3,806 Posts
    • 7,699 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    • 18th May 17, 1:41 PM
    • 18th May 17, 1:41 PM
    Is it, in fact, Betula pendula Youngii , a weeping birch, Young's weeping birch? Very nice when a good size, elegant on its own when it shows itself best in a light breeze.

Tree suppliers don't always get their labelling right!
    • Honkycat
    • By Honkycat 18th May 17, 2:16 PM
    • 470 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    Honkycat
    • 18th May 17, 2:16 PM
    • 18th May 17, 2:16 PM
    I don't think so (we have one of those in the back garden) but you've planted a seed of doubt in my mind now! How could I tell?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,858Posts Today

8,114Users online

Martin's Twitter