Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • andrewjohnlane
    • By andrewjohnlane 18th May 17, 10:00 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    andrewjohnlane
    Advice dealing with a hotel refusing free Cancellation option
    • 18th May 17, 10:00 AM
    Advice dealing with a hotel refusing free Cancellation option 18th May 17 at 10:00 AM
    I'm hoping someone can offer some advice on our options for an issue we are having. We have reserved a room with a hotel in paris for December through booking.com which had 2 offers included - reserve now, pay on arrival and free cancellation until the day before arrival.

Since reserving we have been occasionally checking rates and have found a better deal so obviously wanted to switch but not only will the hotel refuse the cancellation, they have also taken full payment from the account and are refusing to refund it.

I'm fairly certain this isn't legal and have brought it up with booking.com but they're not at all interested and are just telling us it's an issue with the hotel that we have to sort directly?

Has anyone experienced this before and can help us with what our options are or how to proceed?
Page 1
    • waamo
    • By waamo 18th May 17, 10:14 AM
    • 1,310 Posts
    • 1,409 Thanks
    waamo
    • 18th May 17, 10:14 AM
    • 18th May 17, 10:14 AM
    Did you chose the free cancellation?
    This space for hire.
    • andrewjohnlane
    • By andrewjohnlane 18th May 17, 10:16 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    andrewjohnlane
    • 18th May 17, 10:16 AM
    • 18th May 17, 10:16 AM
    Hi yes we chose the option for free cancellation and pay on arrival.
    • Castle
    • By Castle 18th May 17, 10:43 AM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 1,544 Thanks
    Castle
    • 18th May 17, 10:43 AM
    • 18th May 17, 10:43 AM
    Have you tried your credit card company?
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 18th May 17, 12:33 PM
    • 12,908 Posts
    • 10,998 Thanks
    paddyrg
    • 18th May 17, 12:33 PM
    • 18th May 17, 12:33 PM
    Booking.com are your travel agent - talk to them about it. They'll call the hotel and have WAY more clout than you alone.
    • andrewjohnlane
    • By andrewjohnlane 18th May 17, 12:49 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    andrewjohnlane
    • 18th May 17, 12:49 PM
    • 18th May 17, 12:49 PM
    We've tried that but they're denying any responsibility and telling us we need to take it up directly with the hotel but I think that's a cop out by them, just not sure how I can prove it and get them to do something about it.

Will check the credit card route, see if they can help.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 18th May 17, 2:01 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 1,197 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 18th May 17, 2:01 PM
    • 18th May 17, 2:01 PM
    What does your booking confirmation say?
    • daytona0
    • By daytona0 18th May 17, 3:37 PM
    • 2,149 Posts
    • 2,524 Thanks
    daytona0
    • 18th May 17, 3:37 PM
    • 18th May 17, 3:37 PM
    What does your booking confirmation say?
    Originally posted by IAmWales
    Aye. You need to check your email first OP.

I've just found a booking confirmation which I made with booking.com last year and it very clearly states:

Cancellation policy
    Please note, if cancelled, modified or in case of no-show, the total price of the reservation will be charged.
    Any cancellation or modification fees are determined by the property. You will pay any additional costs to the property.
    Cancellation cost
    From now on: 369 zł
    This reservation can not be cancelled free of charge.
    If yours is worded in a similar way then the answer is tough luck...

If yours is worded in a way which suggests free cancellation (as you are advising) then point this out to booking.com and the hotel. In addition to this, go to your credit card company.
    ent.
    • hcb42
    • By hcb42 18th May 17, 4:37 PM
    • 5,778 Posts
    • 3,495 Thanks
    hcb42
    • 18th May 17, 4:37 PM
    • 18th May 17, 4:37 PM
    Put in a written complaint to Booking.com.

If you have a clear confirmation that it states free cancellation, then the hotel were wrong to take your payment, and must abide by the terms - booking.com are able to sort this for you if the hotel won't admit to their error.
    2015 challenges to include: Weight loss 56lb/42lb YAY!!!); My Old Age Pot 39100/50000; Maldives 2018 Fund 601.37/3600; . DH Rainy Day fund 2200/1200 Camping Trips 2/2 booked.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 18th May 17, 4:42 PM
    • 1,692 Posts
    • 841 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    Have they actually taken the money or just ring fenced it?
    • andrewjohnlane
    • By andrewjohnlane 18th May 17, 4:44 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    andrewjohnlane
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm certain we had the free cancellation and pay on arrival options as that's the reason we reserved it but will triple check the confirmation when I get chance.

Payments been taken in full and they're refusing to refund it, booking.com also refusing to do anything about it.
    • bris
    • By bris 18th May 17, 11:08 PM
    • 6,564 Posts
    • 5,568 Thanks
    bris
    They always have 2 options, it's a bit more expensive for the free cancellation than it is for the non cancellation option. Which is a bit of a mystery why its called a free cancelation as you are paying more but that aside check you didn't pick the cheaper option.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 19th May 17, 8:22 AM
    • 14,940 Posts
    • 10,720 Thanks
    hollydays
    Might be helpful if you post your communications with them.
    • RADDERS
    • By RADDERS 19th May 17, 8:35 AM
    • 112 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    RADDERS
    Hubby had this with booking dot com, made a booking that could be cancelled and full amount was taken from credit card straight away.
    As the booking is not until July we checked with the hotel and if he wants to cancel he can and the money will be refunded.
    When we looked there was a small paragraph at the end of the email saying that the money would be taken immediately but he missed that, but it can still be cancelled.
    • andrewjohnlane
    • By andrewjohnlane 19th May 17, 8:35 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    andrewjohnlane
    Ok so I've had the confirmations sent to me by the person the reserved it and you're right it does say on the confirmation that payment will be taken before arrival despite the offer on booking.com saying it is payment on arrival and free cancellation so I guess it's not the hotels error but also advertising on booking.coms part? I have pictures/screenshots but can't see how I can attach them if it's not a URL link?
    • waamo
    • By waamo 19th May 17, 9:15 AM
    • 1,310 Posts
    • 1,409 Thanks
    waamo
    Put a link up but change http to hxxp and people can then cut and paste it into their browser.
    This space for hire.
    • andrewjohnlane
    • By andrewjohnlane 19th May 17, 9:19 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    andrewjohnlane
    Sorry, I have the screen shots on my phone so I'm l not sure what I need to put into the URL that will help you to see them?
    • waamo
    • By waamo 19th May 17, 9:51 AM
    • 1,310 Posts
    • 1,409 Thanks
    waamo
    You need to upload the pictures to a hosting site like photobucket or similar. That will then generate a URL that you can slightly amend and post here.
    This space for hire.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 19th May 17, 11:51 AM
    • 2,273 Posts
    • 2,262 Thanks
    DoaM
    Change http to hxxp to get around the "new posters can't post links" restriction. Someone here will probably reply making it a clickable link.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • bengal-stripe
    • By bengal-stripe 19th May 17, 4:30 PM
    • 3,114 Posts
    • 2,000 Thanks
    bengal-stripe
    Ok so I've had the confirmations sent to me by the person the reserved it......so I guess it's not the hotels error but also advertising on booking.coms part?
    Originally posted by andrewjohnlane
    Most likely, the error was made by the person who did the booking on your behalf.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,215Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin