Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ss53
    • By ss53 18th May 17, 9:43 AM
    • 55Posts
    • 23Thanks
    ss53
    Car insurance auto renewal
    • 18th May 17, 9:43 AM
    Car insurance auto renewal 18th May 17 at 9:43 AM
    I normally insure each year as a one off payment. I then compare quotes after receiving renewal and call original insurer to cancel if necessary. (ie jut in case auto renewal is on)

Until now all my prior insurers charge the renewal premium either on renewal date or maybe next day.

However Endsleigh has charged the full annual premium to my card 5 business days prior to renewal date. I intend to cancel and would expect no admin fee but is this early renewal being used elsewhere or is it just Endsleigh.?
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 18th May 17, 10:10 AM
    • 29,975 Posts
    • 18,980 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 18th May 17, 10:10 AM
    • 18th May 17, 10:10 AM
    I normally insure each year as a one off payment. I then compare quotes after receiving renewal and call original insurer to cancel if necessary. (ie jut in case auto renewal is on)

Until now all my prior insurers charge the renewal premium either on renewal date or maybe next day.

However Endsleigh has charged the full annual premium to my card 5 business days prior to renewal date. I intend to cancel and would expect no admin fee but is this early renewal being used elsewhere or is it just Endsleigh.?
    Originally posted by ss53
    Ive not come across it due to insurers not taking money 5 days before. What is the end date is on your policy ? Is it in 5 days time ?

What does the terms and conditions say re money taken 5 days before ?

Have you spoken to Endsleigh ?
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • ss53
    • By ss53 18th May 17, 10:20 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    ss53
    • 18th May 17, 10:20 AM
    • 18th May 17, 10:20 AM
    The renewal quote said that the card would be charged 5 days prior to renewal date. I missed that statement as Im so used to it happening on renewal date. (So my own fault for not reading the detail)

Will be speaking to Endsleigh shortly and don't envisage an issue getting refund as they have a 14 day cooling off period.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 18th May 17, 11:20 AM
    • 29,975 Posts
    • 18,980 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 18th May 17, 11:20 AM
    • 18th May 17, 11:20 AM
    The renewal quote said that the card would be charged 5 days prior to renewal date. I missed that statement as Im so used to it happening on renewal date. (So my own fault for not reading the detail)

Will be speaking to Endsleigh shortly and don't envisage an issue getting refund as they have a 14 day cooling off period.
    Originally posted by ss53
    Was intrigued how soon my current insurers would take payment and its 2 - 3 days before its due to end, looks like Endsleigh use 5 days.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • cajef
    • By cajef 18th May 17, 3:35 PM
    • 4,493 Posts
    • 3,567 Thanks
    cajef
    • 18th May 17, 3:35 PM
    • 18th May 17, 3:35 PM
    Just renewed mine with Direct Line, the renewal notice states:-

Your renewal premium will be collected in the usual way, at least 7 days after your renewal date.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,635Posts Today

7,782Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @KCMurdarasi: @MartinSLewis Only 2 fluently, but I can struggle by in another 5 or so. And ask the way to the toilet in about 10 - you d?

• Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• Follow Martin