Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bensim90
    • By bensim90 18th May 17, 9:19 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    bensim90
    Issue With Home Care
    • 18th May 17, 9:19 AM
    Issue With Home Care 18th May 17 at 9:19 AM
    Morning All,

I am disappointed with a certain companies home care boiler cover! On a property I rent out i signed up to home care in the interest of achieving a gas safety certificate for my boiler. I was given a few options but did not want all the plumbing and drain cover so considered the basic two options! One was a straight forward gas safety check for a small fee and the other included the former but also a boiler service. I took the latter at around double the cost if i remember.

When the engineer visited he simply took gas readings of the boiler and issued the certificate. He explained that if the readings are fine no service is done. He said I should of taking just the gas safety option and upgraded if work was required. In my opinion meaning basically I somewhat over paid for the additional "service", Maybe its just my interoperation of service but I literally would have achieved the same result taking the cover at half the price! It is in there terms which I should of read

Would anyone consider this miss selling or at the very least miss leading? I should of complained to them at the time.

Boiler has now developed a fault which I realise could happen at any time but I believe it would not if checked properly. My argument is if a boiler service as I believe a service to be (and I'm sure you all will to) had ensued as I was led to believe it would (albeit i dindt read the small print) this would have been picked up. They now want me to upgrade to cover it or pay a one off boiler repair.

Any thoughts would be great thank you.
Page 1
    • Cliveman Pieman
    • By Cliveman Pieman 18th May 17, 9:29 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 204 Thanks
    Cliveman Pieman
    • 18th May 17, 9:29 AM
    • 18th May 17, 9:29 AM
    As you say, you didn't read the contract. You probably only paid to get readings done, and a certificate issued. If you'd paid more, you would have received a full service.

You are probably correct that if it received a service it would not have developed the fault, but you didn't pay for that.

At least you'll be able to offset the cost of a replacement against your tax bill!
    • bensim90
    • By bensim90 18th May 17, 9:35 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bensim90
    • 18th May 17, 9:35 AM
    • 18th May 17, 9:35 AM
    Thing is I did pay for the "Service" 100%

The cheaper option would of simply been the readings and the cert. My package included the service but ONLY if the readings were concerning and thats their "service" option, if the readings are fine they go no further!

Hence why i feel ive been misled as the end result would of been the same with the cheeper option, even the engineer said so and that I should of upgraded if the readings were off.

Totally misleading
    • macman
    • By macman 18th May 17, 9:42 AM
    • 41,290 Posts
    • 16,954 Thanks
    macman
    • 18th May 17, 9:42 AM
    • 18th May 17, 9:42 AM
    Next time use a local independent GSR RGI who will do the job you pay them for.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,620Posts Today

6,083Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin