Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 18th May 17, 9:18 AM
    • 1,484Posts
    • 195Thanks
    adonis10
    Advocate 80 for cats - flea treatment
    • 18th May 17, 9:18 AM
    Advocate 80 for cats - flea treatment 18th May 17 at 9:18 AM
    Attempted to buy the following as it is highway robbery when buying from the VET, however they replied to say a prescription is required. I sent a copy of the previous prescription when we bought it from the VET (and got fleeced) the first time and so assumed that would be enough, apparently not. Anyone bought this off the web and had similar issues? This is something that is required every month therefore surely we don't have to get the same prescription from the VET on a monthly basis? Although I wouldn't be surprised as it is an easy little income stream for them.

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/advocate-80-for-large-cats-4-8kg-pack-of-3.html
Page 1
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 18th May 17, 12:52 PM
    • 3,910 Posts
    • 38,018 Thanks
    Katiehound
    • 18th May 17, 12:52 PM
    • 18th May 17, 12:52 PM
    Never had the need but I think you are able to ask the vet to write a prescription for 3 months supply (maybe 6?) but of course you will need to pay for that!
    Despite that it still may work out cheaper to buy online
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Thank You
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 28th Jun 17, 10:14 AM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    adonis10
    • 28th Jun 17, 10:14 AM
    • 28th Jun 17, 10:14 AM
    Looks to be a tenner cheaper online, £57.80 at the vet for 3 months worth and just over £47 when buying prescription (£24) from the vet and medication £23 online. May as well make the saving of £40/year. I assume that I cannot buy 2 lots online with the one prescription? They've got it all worked out - free delivery over £29 however a pack is £21 and so need more than one prescription! Guess we could just take the hit and get a 6 month prescription and buy two lots.
    • basill
    • By basill 28th Jun 17, 11:57 AM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 560 Thanks
    basill
    • 28th Jun 17, 11:57 AM
    • 28th Jun 17, 11:57 AM
    I asked my vet for a prescription for flea treatment to get it cheaper online, even with the prescription fee I thought I would save some money.

To my surprise the vet recommended Advantage which can be bought online without prescription. we have had no problems with this product.
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 28th Jun 17, 2:51 PM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    adonis10
    • 28th Jun 17, 2:51 PM
    • 28th Jun 17, 2:51 PM
    I asked my vet for a prescription for flea treatment to get it cheaper online, even with the prescription fee I thought I would save some money.

To my surprise the vet recommended Advantage which can be bought online without prescription. we have had no problems with this product.
    Originally posted by basill
    Cool. Where did you get it from?
    • Mardle
    • By Mardle 28th Jun 17, 2:58 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 676 Thanks
    Mardle
    • 28th Jun 17, 2:58 PM
    • 28th Jun 17, 2:58 PM
    We get Advantage from Pet drugs online
    • Money maker
    • By Money maker 28th Jun 17, 3:02 PM
    • 4,862 Posts
    • 11,096 Thanks
    Money maker
    • 28th Jun 17, 3:02 PM
    • 28th Jun 17, 3:02 PM

Originally posted by basill
    I used advocate for a while before I too switched to advantage. I thought I'd get advocate when advantage is no longer effective but it continues to work well for me. I get mine from animed direct, cost under £10 for 4 treatments. Handy company to get small quantities of wormer from too.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
    • basill
    • By basill 28th Jun 17, 5:57 PM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 560 Thanks
    basill
    • 28th Jun 17, 5:57 PM
    • 28th Jun 17, 5:57 PM
    Cool. Where did you get it from?
    Originally posted by adonis10
    First lot came from Amazon i think, now we go to whichever online pet pharmacy is cheapest.

There are two types for cats Advantage 40 or 80 depending if you have small or fat cats :-)
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 29th Jun 17, 7:26 AM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    adonis10
    • 29th Jun 17, 7:26 AM
    • 29th Jun 17, 7:26 AM
    Originally posted by Mardle
    Any idea why a prescription is not required? Is it not as strong as advocate?

Does this one cover both flea and worm, as the advocate does?
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 29th Jun 17, 7:28 AM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    adonis10
    I used advocate for a while before I too switched to advantage. I thought I'd get advocate when advantage is no longer effective but it continues to work well for me. I get mine from animed direct, cost under £10 for 4 treatments. Handy company to get small quantities of wormer from too.
    Originally posted by Money maker
    Cool. Don't you need a prescription to buy from them?
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 29th Jun 17, 1:05 PM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    adonis10
    Originally posted by Mardle
    Is this a wormer as well?

I can't understand why Advocate requires a prescription but Advantage doesn't.
    • basill
    • By basill 29th Jun 17, 1:38 PM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 560 Thanks
    basill
    The vet told me Advantage was now available without prescription. so must have done at some time.
    It must be considered suitable for the public to buy and use. Similar to Zantac, launched as a prescription drug but now available over the counter.
    Last edited by basill; 30-06-2017 at 3:41 PM.
    • ElusiveLucy
    • By ElusiveLucy 30th Jun 17, 11:15 AM
    • 611 Posts
    • 3,327 Thanks
    ElusiveLucy
    My vet does me a prescription for 12 units of Advocate and it costs me £10 for the prescription. I then buy it online and save a nice little amount each time (I have 2 cats but he does the prescription for 12 months at a time in one cat's name). I will save even more if it now doesn't need a prescription!

I couldn't believe my vet was charging double what it was online. Presumably they are doing this with drugs that my Petplan insurance pays for as well. I could potentially save Petplan money if I bought the drugs online, but I don't think they support that process.
    What goes around comes around.....I hope!
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 30th Jun 17, 12:30 PM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    adonis10
    My vet does me a prescription for 12 units of Advocate and it costs me £10 for the prescription. I then buy it online and save a nice little amount each time (I have 2 cats but he does the prescription for 12 months at a time in one cat's name). I will save even more if it now doesn't need a prescription!

I couldn't believe my vet was charging double what it was online. Presumably they are doing this with drugs that my Petplan insurance pays for as well. I could potentially save Petplan money if I bought the drugs online, but I don't think they support that process.
    Originally posted by ElusiveLucy

Yeah, I knew vets charged a lot but I didn't realise how much until I got pets. They have a great business going on as they know how much Brits love their pets and will part with their cash to keep them healthy. Some of their prices are utterly outrageous but until people stop paying them, they'll carry on.

So you get a 12 month prescription for £10? Wow. Ours charges £12 for a either 1 or 3 months (not sure as never got one).

Where are you able to get Advocate 80 online without a prescription?
    • basill
    • By basill 30th Jun 17, 3:42 PM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 560 Thanks
    basill

Where are you able to get Advocate 80 online without a prescription?
    Originally posted by adonis10

Advantage is available without prescription, have edited my post.
    • CP26
    • By CP26 30th Jun 17, 10:37 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    CP26
    My vet charges £9 for a prescription. I just got one for a 6 month supply of Advocate and then bought it online via vet medic for almost half the price of what my vet charges.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

595Posts Today

4,363Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: Do you always use soap (if available) while washing your hands after going to the loo in a public toilet?

• RT @mark76stewart: Sledging!? I?ll say! That?s worse sledging than the Aussies @MartinSLewis !! £6.99 each or 2 for £20 @WHSmith ?? https:?

• RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• Follow Martin