Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • quantum
    • By quantum 17th May 17, 11:18 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 4Thanks
    quantum
    0 WOW
    Driving to South France
    • 17th May 17, 11:18 PM
    0 WOW
    Driving to South France 17th May 17 at 11:18 PM
    Somewhere I came across a page which said you can buy a toll road pre-payment card or something that charged you later. Can't find it now.
    What would be your suggestions for this route (Cherbourg to Perpignan).
    I expect we might do a bit of A roads and some motorways.
    Thanks
Page 1
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 18th May 17, 12:25 AM
    • 5,248 Posts
    • 4,428 Thanks
    mgdavid
    • 18th May 17, 12:25 AM
    • 18th May 17, 12:25 AM
    I'm not clear what you're asking re: the route - is Perpignan the booked destination and you want to get there as quickly as possible, or is it a touring holiday with unplanned stops on the way down and back again?

The Autoroute toll tag info is at
    https://www.saneftolling.co.uk
    A salary slave no more.....
    • HHarry
    • By HHarry 18th May 17, 8:06 AM
    • 406 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    HHarry
    • 18th May 17, 8:06 AM
    • 18th May 17, 8:06 AM
    Quantum,

That's a long way south! We drove to the Alps last year and gave ourselves 2 days to get there and 2 days back. That was still 4 hrs each day on the motorway. We did do some A roads and whilst they are prettier, it is significantly slower.
    So it's a choice of fast but dull motorway, or slow and pretty A roads.

Next time we'd fly, and just rent a car to drive through the pretty bits!
    • quantum
    • By quantum 18th May 17, 8:17 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    quantum
    • 18th May 17, 8:17 AM
    • 18th May 17, 8:17 AM
    Yes it's a long way! We have planned overnight stops though.
    Thanks for the link. A quick look and it appears we wouldn't save any money, so not sure if it's worth it. Just pay by credit card?
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 18th May 17, 8:21 AM
    • 4,452 Posts
    • 1,640 Thanks
    knightstyle
    • 18th May 17, 8:21 AM
    • 18th May 17, 8:21 AM
    Yes, the toll booths accept most UK credit cards. We use our Halifax Clarity there regularly.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 18th May 17, 8:59 AM
    • 13,102 Posts
    • 17,318 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 18th May 17, 8:59 AM
    • 18th May 17, 8:59 AM
    If you are prepared to make an overnight stop, it's not too hard to do that route without paying any tolls.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • benjus
    • By benjus 18th May 17, 10:19 AM
    • 5,002 Posts
    • 3,074 Thanks
    benjus
    • 18th May 17, 10:19 AM
    • 18th May 17, 10:19 AM
    Personally I think I'd do Caen/Le Mans/Tours/Clermont-Ferrand/A75 but that's mainly because I like the Millau viaduct
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
    • beckstar1975
    • By beckstar1975 18th May 17, 10:29 AM
    • 263 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    beckstar1975
    • 18th May 17, 10:29 AM
    • 18th May 17, 10:29 AM
    We have one from aprr - you have to pay 1.7 Euro in each month you use the card only, and the tolls cost the same as if paying the toll directly, but as we are doing the long drive with 3 kids in the car the magic of just bypassing the big queues and going through the beepy barrier never dulls. Also has the benefit of being debited the following month, so defers up to 100E of holiday spending which always helps.

I adore ours
    LBM 11/05/2010 - WE DID IT - DMP of £62000 paid off in 7 yearsDFD April2017
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 18th May 17, 6:46 PM
    • 12,481 Posts
    • 10,471 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 18th May 17, 6:46 PM
    • 18th May 17, 6:46 PM
    viamichelin is a good site for route planning and it gives toll information.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 18th May 17, 7:15 PM
    • 1,664 Posts
    • 2,188 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    That's a long way south! We drove to the Alps last year and gave ourselves 2 days to get there and 2 days back.
    Originally posted by HHarry
    It probably helps that I live on the south coast but I can get to the Italian western Alps in a day - either via the Mont Blanc or Great S. Bernard tunnels.. This year was great as for the first time ever I had someone to share the driving, which really helped. I'm getting too old for a one dayer on my own.

On the way back I do an overnight stop somewhere in the Loire valley - this year Sancerre - as unlike your accommodation the ferry won't wait for you! The return trip had a much more laden car, with wine and cheese and olive oil squeezed in everywhere!

This year for the first time I had the telepass for the automatic barriers on the motorway, and it really does make the trip smoother. Rest and comfort stops are still very important but you can do them more on your own schedule rather than combining them with toll station stops which is what I tended to do before.
    • sandsy
    • By sandsy 18th May 17, 9:17 PM
    • 1,218 Posts
    • 715 Thanks
    sandsy
    We're also looking at driving down to Languedoc next year. We did as far as the Charente-Maritime a couple of years ago. We got an overnight ferry crossing to Caen and we'll either do Caen or St Malo next time. Also planning to break the journey up - probably in the Charente again. Le Mans has an interesting motor museum to browse for a couple of hours breakfrom driving.

We did get the Sanef toll tag before we went and it made going through the tolls very easy. We took it with us to use in a hirecar last year too.
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 19th May 17, 12:14 PM
    • 5,248 Posts
    • 4,428 Thanks
    mgdavid
    the advantages of using Sanef for the tag rather than APRR is that they have a British office and the website is in English. Also they do the Dartford Crossing online toll system and it 's expected that the same tag will work for both some time soon.
    A salary slave no more.....
    • beckstar1975
    • By beckstar1975 19th May 17, 2:04 PM
    • 263 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    beckstar1975
    Yes - but costs more . .

Friends I have recommended to have managed to signup using google translate no problem

The Dart charge is appealing if you local though
    LBM 11/05/2010 - WE DID IT - DMP of £62000 paid off in 7 yearsDFD April2017
    • tooldle
    • By tooldle 20th May 17, 7:20 PM
    • 283 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    tooldle
    Passing through the tolls is far quicker with a tag. Often you don't need to stop, just slow enough to give the tag time to register. Toll queues can get very large in summer.
    We have a tag. I wouldn't go back to queuing and paying by card or cash.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

189Posts Today

2,087Users online

Martin's Twitter