Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jc1300
    • By jc1300 17th May 17, 10:29 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jc1300
    I ran away from debt
    • 17th May 17, 10:29 PM
    I ran away from debt 17th May 17 at 10:29 PM
    Hi folks

This has been playing in my mind the last year or so.
    And I don't know who to ask .

Approx 10 years ago me and my wife mortgaged an apartment in England worth Over 120k
    We both had ok jobs and able to afford nice things. However things turned bad and we both lost our jobs and stuggled badly.
    between all the bills mounting up
    Water rates
    Council tax
    Electric
    Gas
    And everything else in running a house I was unable to cope with all of this and ended up bury my head in the sand.
    We ended up moving several times and ended up moving to Northern Ireland.

The thing is , we just up'd and left. We didn't tell the mortgage lender or any of our debtors. In the years to follow we received some debt letter but these were always returned to sender and not known at this address.
    And now it's been about 4-5 years since we had letters ?

I now have young children and have their futures to consider and need some advice.

My current situation would not allow me to repay the debts
    Will they track me down here eventually??
    And if they do...... What can they do really??

Will it ever go away if I just stay silent ??
    Will the debtors persue my children I when hey grow up??

I am not interested in getting another mortgage or credit.
    I've no phone contracts or sky or anything that needs a credit check in fear of being tracked down.

Any advice would be great or if someone else has a similar experience would you be kind enough to share.

Thanks
Page 1
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 18th May 17, 6:56 AM
    • 2,644 Posts
    • 5,855 Thanks
    tori.k
    • 18th May 17, 6:56 AM
    • 18th May 17, 6:56 AM
    Hi jc1300 welcome aboard you may want to re-post this on the main debt free wannabe board, where someone should be able to offer advice on the help you need.
    Debit to Credit (stage 1) 3652.34 completed 15/10/16
    Debit to Credit (stage 2) 6304.28
    RF /4160
    FD / 6200
    • CIS
    • By CIS 18th May 17, 10:01 AM
    • 9,767 Posts
    • 5,582 Thanks
    CIS
    • 18th May 17, 10:01 AM
    • 18th May 17, 10:01 AM
    The council can and will trace people for council tax arrears - the enforcement options are somewhat limited though with you living outside of E & W.

Craig
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery as I'm now a self employed Council Tax advisor and consultant with my own Council Tax consultancy business. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,215Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin