Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GrumpySO&SO
    • By GrumpySO&SO 17th May 17, 10:05 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    GrumpySO&SO
    Getting Out of an Estate Agent Contract (or not)
    • 17th May 17, 10:05 PM
    Getting Out of an Estate Agent Contract (or not) 17th May 17 at 10:05 PM
    Basically... we were really really naive and stupid and somehow got ourselves tied in to a 26 week contract for sole agency. When it came up I expressed some doubt as to the length but she said all airly "Oh don't worry you just need to give us 28 days notice and you can cancel it" which I suppose is true but that means we can't go instructing some other agency doesn't it? They made the whole 26 week thing seem pretty standard - no other option.

They (Connells) have done basically !!!! all. We had a small flutter at the beginning and it has tailed off into nothing. They are just so... urgh useless! No communication, nothing. And when we phone up to discuss things we feel we are just getting brushed off. We get barely any feedback and when we do it is because we've asked for it. I mean frankly we might as well be doing this ourselves the amount of effort they're putting into it.

We're 8 weeks into this thing and the last 3-4 weeks we have had a grand total of 1 viewing. It's the first time we've had to sell a house and I thought we went into the process quite well prepared but then it turns out we weren't. We saw a whole bunch of estate agents and I frankly didn't like any of them so felt really deflated so we ended up for some reason choosing this one based on the fact they have quite a few sold signs in the local area.

So I'm feeling really really depressed.

Admittedly we did get one offer but it was about 11k below asking price. Maybe we do need to lower the price a bit but frankly with the little help and support we're getting at the moment I kinda wonder (paranoid-ly) if Connells want us to do that. They were more keen than any of the others at wanting a quick sale when we wanted to wait and get a better price.

I'm not against waiting - but they really do seem kinda rubbish. Maybe our expectations were too high. We've learnt a few things from this.

Any help or advice or basically you're screwed?
Page 2
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 19th May 17, 8:49 AM
    • 22,155 Posts
    • 86,568 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Another one who'd drop OIEO sraight away. House presented fine. Garden needs love.

What's with the weird poles on the fences and the extra framing over the shed?

Do you sometimes cover the entire garden with a tarpaulin?
    Last edited by Davesnave; 19-05-2017 at 8:53 AM.
    Working subliminally.
    • *~Zephyr~*
    • By *~Zephyr~* 19th May 17, 9:24 AM
    • 523 Posts
    • 1,021 Thanks
    *~Zephyr~*
    Another one who'd drop OIEO sraight away. House presented fine. Garden needs love.

What's with the weird poles on the fences and the extra framing over the shed?

Do you sometimes cover the entire garden with a tarpaulin?
    Originally posted by Davesnave

The 'weird poles' are rollers - they are to cat-proof the garden so that their kitty doesn't go over the fences.

It is an odd pattern of dead grass. Wonder what went on there.
    • GrumpySO&SO
    • By GrumpySO&SO 19th May 17, 11:51 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GrumpySO&SO
    Yes, we have already done so. Well... anyway told them we want them to drop it so who knows might have to remind them to do it again.

Link -

So, really, that can only mean one thing...
    Let me put this here - rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-46547760.html

We don't know the area at all - why would you say your place is worth 30k+ more than that one?
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Yes, it was always my concern that other houses in the area were cheaper - but EA always seemed to think that didn't matter. PLUS the 3 bed end terrace house just up the road with smaller living room/bigger (slightly) kitchen went for according to the EA 257k last year. And the 4 bedroom house went for about 280k (after a LONG time). Obviously times are different this year...

Also, that area is a dump. Southampton pretty much has 2 areas as far as I'm concerned - which may not be very fair as I can't stand the place. The very expensive but still rubbish and I wouldn't live there, or total dump. We live in a nice part of the total dump area.

It is an odd pattern of dead grass. Wonder what went on there.
    Originally posted by *~Zephyr~*
    It was dying around the edges from the beginning but we didn't complain about it at the beginning because our plan was to dig the garden up and put bedding areas in etc etc which obviously went out the window when we had to move. (Other half got a new job in Cambridge - he's already started work there, I'm alone at home trying to shift this sodding house for a half decent price so we can afford a house in Cambridge.) I think partly - it was rubbish in the first place and also the part that isn't dead is in the shade and the garden is south facing so that part of the lawn gets fried whenever the sun deems to come out.
    Last edited by GrumpySO&SO; 19-05-2017 at 12:16 PM.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 19th May 17, 12:52 PM
    • 13,979 Posts
    • 12,379 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Yes, it was always my concern that other houses in the area were cheaper - but EA always seemed to think that didn't matter.
    Originally posted by GrumpySO&SO
    <scratches head>
    Not quite sure how that works... Simply put yourself in a potential buyer's shoes...

Also, that area is a dump. Southampton pretty much has 2 areas as far as I'm concerned - which may not be very fair as I can't stand the place. The very expensive but still rubbish and I wouldn't live there, or total dump. We live in a nice part of the total dump area.
    That's a fairly fine distinction, given how close they are. Will all potential buyers understand that?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

8Posts Today

4,161Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Who do you think came out best in the Corbyn v May battle tonight?

• Clever by Paxman; subtly testing out "strong & stable" by focusing on u-turns on Brexit view, social care, self employed tax & election date

• Ps sadly i got in too late to have seen Corbyn, hence why no comment on his performance

• Follow Martin