Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • paweaz
    • By paweaz 17th May 17, 9:26 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 0Thanks
    paweaz
    Tesco warranty hassle
    • 17th May 17, 9:26 PM
    Tesco warranty hassle 17th May 17 at 9:26 PM
    On 10/07/16 I bought a Sony BDF5100 BLURAY PLAYER from my local Tesco for £84. I have discovered that the item has the following problem: [Will not recognise Blu-ray disks].

I returned the item to my local store with the original box and receipt well within the 1 year warranty and was told to contact the helpdesk, which I did in store at my own expense on my mobile phone, I was then told that the item cannot be replaced or repaired by tesco and has to be dealt with by the manufacturer Sony…..this could take up to 3-4 weeks......unaceptable...........not to mention the hassle of contacting Sony returning the item at my expense then having to wait 3-4 weeks is a joke.

Just a word of warning folks avoid buying from so called trustworthy retailers they are only interested in your money,i was truly shocked at this response from Tescos as we have spent thousands this year alone instore on electricals,laptops,tvs,macbook,dyson etc.......i now have zero confidence in Tesco never had hassle like this from Argos or even ASDA,LIDL or so called budget retailers.
    You might understand if the item was outside the year warranty or i had no proof of purchase,no matter the money and cost is not the issue its the overall fob-off attitude that bothers me standing arguing instore with lackeys hiding behind head office terms and conditions.

And before anyone spouts the new laws regarding having to prove a fault existed after 6 months that is nonsense if the product develops a fault within 1 year its not my responsibility to prove anything period.

Thats why many folk will only every buy electricals from Amazon total piece of mind the customer is always right no hassle,no arguments,no delay or faffing around dealing with manufacturers hell with Amazon they even send you a replacement out the next day crikes before they even receive the faulty item back,any wonder they are now the biggest retailer in the world.

I have written a letter to Tesco complaints altho don't expect much to come of it and i've just purchased a replacement bluray from Amazon can't be bothered waiting 3-4 weeks to watch a film lol.

Just an angry rant folks so shocked and saddened at Tesco, be wary now we know these greedy stores policy regarding returned items simply spend your money where you will be appreciated and prob get the item cheaper also.

Whatever happend to good common sense and customer service all this hassle for £84 from a customer who spends hundreds in store every week.......any wonder they are losing market share..........
Page 1
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 17th May 17, 9:43 PM
    • 1,202 Posts
    • 2,551 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 17th May 17, 9:43 PM
    • 17th May 17, 9:43 PM
    Sony are acting as agents for Tesco, there's nothing wrong with this. They provided a prepaid label for returns.

Your understanding of the law is pretty ropey, you seem to misunderstand the difference between statutory rights and your warranty/ contractual rights. You mention the old fabled EU 2 year law elsewhere. Most worrying. Period.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 17th May 17, 10:12 PM
    • 2,550 Posts
    • 18,329 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 17th May 17, 10:12 PM
    • 17th May 17, 10:12 PM
    As it's a rant, the best place for this is the PV&W board, not consumer rights.

As you are claiming under the warranty and not your statutory rights (they are 2 completely different things which you seem to think are the same), you need to read your paperwork to see what the terms are that Sony impose on any such claim. It may say to contact them directly and not the retailer, it may say you have to pay postage, it may even say you have to call them and sing the national anthem before you can return it. Obviously the latter is unlikely, but you get the drift.

Hopefully your in store conversation wasn't as confrontational as your post seems to be!
    Last edited by mije1983; 17-05-2017 at 10:16 PM.

• SouthUKMan
    • By SouthUKMan 17th May 17, 10:26 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    SouthUKMan
    • 17th May 17, 10:26 PM
    • 17th May 17, 10:26 PM
    A rant, yes - but it's not fair to compare 'high street' and online retailers. They utilise two very different business models. Tesco has done nothing wrong - an item you purchased has developed a fault and by your description it will be repaired or replaced under manufacturer warranty. Tesco should pay for postage - they did when a cheap laptop I purchased from them went wrong. Yes, you will have to wait a few weeks but that's how it works. When we buy items from these places, we all know what we're getting ourselves into, and we shouldn't pretend otherwise by expressing outrage. We know the likes of Tesco and other supermarket giants don't have onsite repair facilities, we don't expect John Lewis style service...these are stack em high and sell em reasonably cheap type places. So long as they stick to the law when things go wrong, then that's about all we should expect. Anything more is a bonus.

Amazon on the other hand deals in extreme volume processed at extreme speed. They don't have the same overheads of the high street and out of town retailers. It is simply more efficient and overall more cost effective for them to deal with a faulty item by replacing it without question. But that is at there discretion.
    • paweaz
    • By paweaz 17th May 17, 11:02 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    paweaz
    • 17th May 17, 11:02 PM
    • 17th May 17, 11:02 PM
    only in good old blighty ehh.........Get a grip folks its people like you that have our rights at an all time low,who cares if its consumer law,warranty law whatever...its wrong and no way to ensure consumer loyalty from an already struggling retailer....i spend at least £300 per week in Tesco on fuel and weekly shop not to mention the thousands i have spent on electricals,yet they are gonna butt heads with me over an £84 Bluray player still in warrany i might add..........comparing online and stores is apples and oranges we order a product and pay the same hard earned cash for it and expect the warranty to be honoured in a timely fashion....i'm sorry but 3-4 weeks is not a timely manner.......if they cannot compete with the likes of Amazon then sadly their market share will continue to fall.I used to run a computer store and never once did i fob customers off to the manufacturer, i replaced any genuinely faulty items which i then returned to the manufacturer myself at my cost..............even if the customer was trying it on i would still sort them out...guess what they continued to buy from me for years to come........doesn't take a genius to figure that out.......the point here is not to argue the rights and wrongs of uk consumer law its to highlight the poor decision making and even poorer customer service in and highly competitive industry period...end of...........we can split hairs all we want it doesn't change the fact that its p*ss poor service form one of the uk's largest retailers...

"Hopefully your in store conversation wasn't as confrontational as your post seems to be!"
    Indeed it was once the fob off began rightfully so as i do not suffer fools gladly nor wishy washy dealings with jobsworths hiding behind terms and conditions ........
    no doubt many terms that wouldn't stand up in court mind......but thats ok were Great British we take it up the a*se on any issues regarding our rights,roll over.......woe betide us if we question the status quo or stand up and be counted.........

Anyway this post wasn't designed as a p"ssing contest with smug repliers it was to warn fellow consumers of these practises........
    • paweaz
    • By paweaz 17th May 17, 11:05 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    paweaz
    • 17th May 17, 11:05 PM
    • 17th May 17, 11:05 PM
    theres a reason some retailers have been in business for over a century........

The phrase “The customer is always right” was originally coined in 1909 by Harry Gordon Selfridge, the founder of Selfridge's department store in London, and is typically used by businesses to convince customers that they will get good service at this company and convince employees to give customers good service
    • paweaz
    • By paweaz 17th May 17, 11:09 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    paweaz
    • 17th May 17, 11:09 PM
    • 17th May 17, 11:09 PM
    "Sony are acting as agents for Tesco, there's nothing wrong with this. They provided a prepaid label for returns.

Your understanding of the law is pretty ropey, you seem to misunderstand the difference between statutory rights and your warranty/ contractual rights. You mention the old fabled EU 2 year law elsewhere. Most worrying. Period."

do you work for Tescos ? lol

Sadly your incorrect i was offered no prepaid return label and i do not care for Sony....i did not buy the item from Sony i bought it from Tescos and my contract is with them PERIOD.....if they want to return the item to sony at their expense then thats fine so long as its done in a timely manner....3-4 week for a bloody bluray player i don't think so....maybe in your universe.....
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 17th May 17, 11:54 PM
    • 2,550 Posts
    • 18,329 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 17th May 17, 11:54 PM
    • 17th May 17, 11:54 PM
    At first I was worried that in your first post it was a serious thread. However, you have put my mind at rest with your subsequent ones that you are just joking around. Although it's a bit disappointing that it took until post 7 for the 'you must work for x retailer' to come out. It's usually quicker.

However, just in case you are serious then if you are unhappy with the law as it stands you need to lobby your MP about it. I'd also advise that you read up on your statutory rights and the difference between those and a warranty as you seem to have them confused. One is a legal right, one is discretionary.

Anyway, as I said this is really posted in the wrong board. This is the consumer rights board, not the consumer demands board and as such the board (and in turn the replies you will get) is based on 'rights' in law. The PV&W board is the place for a vent of any other description.

• paweaz
    • By paweaz 18th May 17, 12:18 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    paweaz
    • 18th May 17, 12:18 AM
    • 18th May 17, 12:18 AM
    Maybe i'll go back tommoro cap in hand....and tell them it's all been a misunderstanding.......after all if its in the small print its always correct.....or perhaps i'll just stop spending my £5000+ yearly spend in Tesco....multiply that by several hundred peed off consumers treated the same way sort of adds up doesn't it......the law is there to protect us not the retailers which is what seems to be happening these days sadly.......why....because too many take it for granted and are not prepared to fight for our rights or get mired in bullsh*t ilegal terms and conditions that in fact have no bearing in a court of law.
    Rather than argue semantics i'm just posting a warning to folk like myself...........
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 18th May 17, 12:22 AM
    • 2,550 Posts
    • 18,329 Thanks
    mije1983

Thank you for the warning. While incorrect, I'm sure the good intent was there. The law is there to protect both parties.

It's just a shame that you refuse to educate yourself to give you a better understanding in the future. Hopefully others who read your 'warning' will not be so tunnel visioned.
    Last edited by mije1983; 18-05-2017 at 12:24 AM.

• daytona0
    • By daytona0 18th May 17, 12:29 AM
    • 2,237 Posts
    • 2,661 Thanks
    daytona0
    i spend at least £300 per week in Tesco on fuel and weekly shop not to mention the thousands i have spent on electricals
    by paweaz
    or perhaps i'll just stop spending my £5000+ yearly spend in Tesco....
    Originally posted by paweaz
    Maybe you should have one week off from your Tesco expenditure and buy something useful

Maybe then you'll be able to do this....
    • paweaz
    • By paweaz 18th May 17, 12:55 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    paweaz
    Semantics indeed.......lol i'll assume you had your glasses on 5000+ usually means more than £5000 £15600 as you cleverly totaled is more than £5000 isn't it ?

oh silly me i also forgot to tell you on an open forum that my business also purchases fuel from tescos........tut tut tut......but hey now ya know.........sadly i'm not on here to educate you but i'll go easy on you this time fella.......lets put it down to shall we say....being a tesco fanboi lol

Buffoonery aside folks think long and hard where you spend your hard earned money on electricals in future.........can you imagine being without a laptop or tablet for 3-4 weeks due to faffing about waiting on manufacturers getting their finger out..........i've learned a lesson today not that i can't count but it pays to buy from trustworthy retailers sadly i always though tescos were.........
    • paweaz
    • By paweaz 18th May 17, 1:12 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    paweaz
    "It's just a shame that you refuse to educate yourself to give you a better understanding in the future. Hopefully others who read your 'warning' will not be so tunnel visioned."

Sadly i am not a lawyer and have no wish to be, yes perhaps i do not understand the finer points of the law however i understand that i'll be a lot more careful where i spend my hard earned money in future.......if you mean by tunneled vision If i buy a new product i expect it to function for at least 1 year.....if not i expect it to be replaced or repaired in a reasonable timeframe with ZERO expense to me....which is not what i was offered then yes i do indeed suffer from tunnel vision........as should anyone else reading this.........too much bloody nonsense,shenanigians and sneaky terms and conditions most of which no doubt dreamed by the said companies for the average person to keep abreast off..........seems to me that these days they're certainly not in the consumers best interest.........just finished reading another post here where a guy was refused a return of a record player because he changed his mind as the quality and sound was rubbish........whatever happened to satisfactory quality..........at the end of the day i'm no lawyer but i'm no mug either and refuse to bow down to these corporate greedy criminals...the money is not the issue its the general principle...........anyway enough give my head peace with all the negative and know it all posts lol

A foolish man is always doing,Yet much remains to be done. Fools give you reasons, wise men never try. Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton. Wise men learn by other men's mistakes, fools by their own.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 18th May 17, 1:37 AM
    • 11,278 Posts
    • 8,492 Thanks
    unholyangel
    theres a reason some retailers have been in business for over a century........

The phrase “The customer is always right” was originally coined in 1909 by Harry Gordon Selfridge, the founder of Selfridge's department store in London, and is typically used by businesses to convince customers that they will get good service at this company and convince employees to give customers good service
    To put another spin on it....you buy £5k+ worth of items from tesco every year and are choosing to ditch them over one issue with a bluray player costing less than £100?

Just a word of warning folks avoid buying from so called trustworthy retailers they are only interested in your money

And before anyone spouts the new laws regarding having to prove a fault existed after 6 months that is nonsense if the product develops a fault within 1 year its not my responsibility to prove anything period.

Just an angry rant folks so shocked and saddened at Tesco, be wary now we know these greedy stores policy regarding returned items simply spend your money where you will be appreciated and prob get the item cheaper also.
    Did you think retailers are in business because they want to be your friend? They ALL want your money. Some are willing to lie for it, some are willing to cheat for it - and yes some are willing to brown nose for it - but make no mistake, its not your charming personality and sparkling wit they're after. Everything about the retail industry revolves around getting customers to spend as much money as they can - special offers, why they put the milk & bread at the back of the shop, eye catching displays etc.

Never trust anyone who has an interest in parting you from your money.

Nor is it due to "new laws" you need to prove fault after 6 months - it was part of the Sale of Goods Act 1979 so nothing has changed in that regard.

As for the part in bold - that attitude is precisely why we've seen a decline in stores goodwill (or customer service as you call it). As you have proven, years of being fantastic won't mean a thing if you even fail to meet their expectations (no matter how unreasonable they may be) once.

I remember when tesco opened, everyone was speaking about their great prices, customer service etc (same as said abouts amazon). Part (not all but part) of the reason both can offer cheaper prices was due to using every "legal" loophole available to avoid tax liabilities. It may also surprise you to learn that amazon are not a UK company - check their T&C's if you don't believe me. The third party company that own their warehouses & employ staff here don't sell anything (nor do they pay corporation tax on all the profit they make from our economy because its filed where amazon are registered - luxembourg). And their staff are largely made up of agency workers on zero hour contracts for NMW in a fashion that I believe has been likened to concentration camps or prison (or possibly both).

But hey, who cares how savings are made as long as we get cheap prices, right?

ETA: **Disclaimer** I don't work for tesco, hell...I dont even shop there.
    Last edited by unholyangel; 18-05-2017 at 1:44 AM.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 18th May 17, 1:21 PM
    • 8,824 Posts
    • 12,803 Thanks
    meer53
    Your posts speak volumes. I really can't see Tesco being worried about losing your custom. I don't work or shop at Tesco. 3-4 weeks is no time at all to resolve your problem really. You sound like a stroppy teenager.
    • davidwood123
    • By davidwood123 18th May 17, 1:46 PM
    • 450 Posts
    • 1,124 Thanks
    davidwood123
    For every bad business, there are thousands of bad customers.

Unfortunately for Tesco, they have sold a DVD player to a bad customer
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 18th May 17, 1:59 PM
    • 1,202 Posts
    • 2,551 Thanks
    IAmWales
    ..its wrong and no way to ensure consumer loyalty from an already struggling retailer...
    £1.2 billion profit.

Definitely not struggling.
    • London50
    • By London50 18th May 17, 2:38 PM
    • 1,507 Posts
    • 1,425 Thanks
    London50
    Unless I am missing something here I can understand why returning it to Sony then waiting for the return would take 3 - 4 weeks as when they receive it they would send it on to SAMSUNG . Perhaps by cutting out the two middle men {Tesco and Sony} it MIGHT just take 7-10 days.

http://www.s21.com/samsung-bd-f5100.htm
    Last edited by London50; 18-05-2017 at 2:54 PM.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 18th May 17, 3:26 PM
    • 29,951 Posts
    • 18,970 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Did you ask Sony to collect the item from you ?

Don't see why you can't deal with Sony over this.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 18-05-2017 at 3:29 PM.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • London50
    • By London50 18th May 17, 3:52 PM
    • 1,507 Posts
    • 1,425 Thanks
    London50
    See my post above yours, perhaps it will answer your question
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

97Posts Today

1,843Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin