Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MiloDanby
    • By MiloDanby 17th May 17, 9:25 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MiloDanby
    0 WOW
    OTB - Holiday from Hell
    • 17th May 17, 9:25 PM
    0 WOW
    OTB - Holiday from Hell 17th May 17 at 9:25 PM
    Hi people. New to the forum and looking for some advice. Having booked a holiday with OTB over 9 month ago and paying it off in good time we left on the 1st of May to Gumbet in Turkey. On arriving with 2 tired children and entering the transfer bus we arrived at our hotel to find it shut down to be refurbished and hadn't been told.

The hotel we was put in wasn't anywhere near the standard of what our original hotel was and really was like being a kid angina getting told what to do by the staff.

I have started the complaints procedure but a few people have told me that OTB won't give me a refund as they've tried before is this true?

TIA Jake
Page 1
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 17th May 17, 9:48 PM
    • 1,647 Posts
    • 3,404 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 17th May 17, 9:48 PM
    • 17th May 17, 9:48 PM
    Did you stay or go elsewhere? Which are the two hotels in question?

It's unlikely you'll get a full refund (or anything near) if you stayed. What were the problems you encountered, and did you contact OTB at the time?
    • hollie.weimeraner
    • By hollie.weimeraner 18th May 17, 8:23 AM
    • 1,403 Posts
    • 821 Thanks
    hollie.weimeraner
    • 18th May 17, 8:23 AM
    • 18th May 17, 8:23 AM
    Is it me or does it appear that there are a load of Newibes with spurious queries on all forums with very little detail of the issues encountered.

If I had posted this I would have at least provided hotel details and dates or perhaps it's just my suspicious nature

BTW my apologies if this is genuine
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 18th May 17, 1:49 PM
    • 1,507 Posts
    • 1,020 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    • 18th May 17, 1:49 PM
    • 18th May 17, 1:49 PM
    OTB are only an agent. They don't provide the holiday. If their supplier didn't inform them about the hotel then they wouldn't know.

Did you follow the complaints procedure and contact the local rep of their supplier (the company you had the contract with) while you were in resort? What did they do to rectify the problem? If you didn't follow the correct procedure and give them every chance to resolve it then you've possibly affected any right you to compensation that you may have had. That's not specific to OTB. It applies even if you book a package holiday with a tour operator.
    • ERICS MUM
    • By ERICS MUM 18th May 17, 2:33 PM
    • 3,429 Posts
    • 6,379 Thanks
    ERICS MUM
    • 18th May 17, 2:33 PM
    • 18th May 17, 2:33 PM
    Did you pay by credit card ? You might have some protection from the CC company.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 19th May 17, 11:22 AM
    • 7,256 Posts
    • 4,048 Thanks
    martindow
    • 19th May 17, 11:22 AM
    • 19th May 17, 11:22 AM
    was like being a kid angina getting told what to do by the staff.
    Originally posted by MiloDanby
    Angina?! ...
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 19th May 17, 2:19 PM
    • 2,964 Posts
    • 1,492 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    • 19th May 17, 2:19 PM
    • 19th May 17, 2:19 PM
    If you had booked a proper package holiday you would have had lots of legal rights here in the UK. As you booked with On the Beach you didn't buy a package and your claim is against whoever the accommodation provider was, they should be named on the ATOL Certificate you were issued.

Everyone thinks buying this way is cheaper, and it can be, but there is very little you can do other than try and make a claim against someone you have barely heard of. Often in their own booking conditions, they claim that they only act as agent for the hotel itself, leaving you at the mercy of a business that was closed! That of course is not acceptable but a risk you take booking this was.

Start with On the Beach and see how far you get. If worst comes to worst, tell the Daily Mail as they love these types of stories, but not until you have exhausted all other ways of getting the matter resolved.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

317Posts Today

2,656Users online

Martin's Twitter