Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dan99
    • By dan99 17th May 17, 8:34 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 2Thanks
    dan99
    do you have to be severely disabled for direct payments
    • 17th May 17, 8:34 PM
    do you have to be severely disabled for direct payments 17th May 17 at 8:34 PM
    How does it work? I've basically been on my own since I fell out with my foster parents living off my ESA. I have trouble budgeting and am in debt and I'm living in unsanitary conditions and I think my friend is taking advantage off me because he only comes around when I've get paid my ESA and we get drunk together but I'm lonely and let it happen, I have mild learning difficulties and anxiety and depression, I want to do things during the day instead of the framework mental health drop in center, I don't like using that because loads of people who abuse drugs and alcohol use it. I would like other support during the day and do things with people.

If I ring social services will they assess me for direct payments as I'm stuggling. I get support group esa and that will run out soon, what is the critrea for getting direct payments and the process?
Page 1
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 17th May 17, 8:41 PM
    • 1,227 Posts
    • 2,592 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 17th May 17, 8:41 PM
    • 17th May 17, 8:41 PM
    You are entitled to an assessment with social services. Unfortunately because of all the social care cuts it's unlikely you'll get offered much support, if anything at all. They may be able to point you in the direction of other groups/ services that can help, so it's worth calling.

Regarding your unsanitary conditions, can you start to tackle this yourself? What needs to be done to get the place in order? You don't need to do everything at once, start on one room, one task, and go from there.
    • nannytone
    • By nannytone 18th May 17, 4:57 PM
    • 12,147 Posts
    • 18,022 Thanks
    nannytone
    • 18th May 17, 4:57 PM
    • 18th May 17, 4:57 PM
    as above really.

to be considered for help, in many areas, your needs will have to be deemed 'substantial.

you do realise that this money isn't for your personal use don't you?

it is used to pay the wage of someone that can provide the necessary care and every penny has to be accounted for and paperwork produced.

regarding your ESA.
    why is it going to stop?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,022Posts Today

6,232Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin