Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 17th May 17, 8:19 PM
    • 4,586Posts
    • 6,475Thanks
    deannatrois
    All Gone Wrong - Housing offer.
    • 17th May 17, 8:19 PM
    All Gone Wrong - Housing offer. 17th May 17 at 8:19 PM
    another update, sorry folks. Not as upbeat this time.

I have two weeks to move in apparently and instead of a standard housing offer its actually a council property house swap. Deaf and dumb couple who need a two bed (they have a child) needs my place and I need a three bed.

But in spite of promising four weeks notice from the formal offer, I have two weeks. They said, well you knew it was going to happen so you've had two weeks already (I was told would have four weeks after formal offer had been made, was told end of last week no formal offer had been made.., but letter was sent 12th May). And we are moving in and out of properties on same day. And they can't speak. And I haven't even viewed the property cause that needs to be negotiated so no idea what I can take and what I need to leave behind. No inspections of either property have been done (which I thought was how house swaps worked). Just told to sort it out between yourselves but move within two weeks. And this 'offer' fulfills Housing's obligations. Very confused. How is this an offer?

HO said I could apply for a discretionary housing payment.., but not without a move in date and no chance of getting it with time to book a removal company. Because of my health problems, I don't see how I can pack up and get things sorted in two weeks.

So I have one option. Its all that is left. I've already refused the offer. I can't get any help. Already tried the community mental health team in an absolute state and they told me to find an advocate. Tried that a couple of years ago.. there are none in this area.

I must be supremely nieve but I dont' understand how housing can treat my family in this way. Maybe afterwards there will be an investigation, I don't know. All I can hope for. Why couldn't they offer me something workable? They just arent' listening at all.

My poor kids. But I can't help them. I've spent the afternoon screaming. Trying to find help. Trying to talk calmly, Breaking down when I couldn't. There's nothing.
    Dreadful situation. Sorry folks.
Page 2
    • Rosieandjim
    • By Rosieandjim 18th May 17, 4:48 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Rosieandjim
    Hmmm! I can understand perfectly why they are moving 2 deaf/mute people from a ground floor flat in a not very nice area. They will be much safer on the first floor or above.

However, if you want this GF Property you will have to move as soon as you can even if it was an offer on an empty property you would still have to move quickly or risk having to pay rent on both properties as we did to gain an extra weeks grace.
    Last edited by Rosieandjim; 18-05-2017 at 4:51 PM.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 18th May 17, 7:17 PM
    • 2,297 Posts
    • 2,892 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    I am not sure what you mean by deaf and dumb? Do you mean a deaf couple who use sign language? What would you expect them to do if they have never been hearing and have never heard speech? Not being able to hear or speak doesn't make them less intelligent or unable to look after a child. I am sure that they can communicate fine with the hearing world.
    • Gleeful
    • By Gleeful 19th May 17, 12:32 PM
    • 1,870 Posts
    • 7,330 Thanks
    Gleeful
    Are you ok, Deannatrois?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

141Posts Today

1,279Users online

Martin's Twitter