Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • KrankieLad
    • By KrankieLad 17th May 17, 7:49 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 9Thanks
    KrankieLad
    Recommend Car Air Compresser
    • 17th May 17, 7:49 PM
    Recommend Car Air Compresser 17th May 17 at 7:49 PM
    As the title suggests I need to purchase one of these but really don't know what I'm looking for or whether to buy cheap or expensive. Ideally need one that does the work for me! New driver, picking up first car next week, Ford Ecosport.
Page 1
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 17th May 17, 7:52 PM
    • 196 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    wgl2014
    • 17th May 17, 7:52 PM
    • 17th May 17, 7:52 PM
    This : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00OP0WZGI/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495047133&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=ring+digi tal+air+compressor&dpPl=1&dpID=41bFU2XcHPL&ref=plS rch
    • Poppycat
    • By Poppycat 17th May 17, 8:00 PM
    • 12,623 Posts
    • 9,521 Thanks
    Poppycat
    • 17th May 17, 8:00 PM
    • 17th May 17, 8:00 PM
    Thats the one I have and never lets me down

• motorguy
    • By motorguy 17th May 17, 8:07 PM
    • 15,190 Posts
    • 8,601 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 17th May 17, 8:07 PM
    • 17th May 17, 8:07 PM
    Originally posted by Poppycat
    +1

I would highly rate this unit. I've had two - first one i gave to my son for his car and i immediately bought another identical one.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 17th May 17, 8:08 PM
    • 25,434 Posts
    • 10,084 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 17th May 17, 8:08 PM
    • 17th May 17, 8:08 PM
    Cheap if you want a small unit that needs a 10 minute rest after 3 minutes of use and can take 20 minutes of constant running to inflate a tyre.

If it cannot run continuously for at least 10 minutes then look for another one.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • hollie.weimeraner
    • By hollie.weimeraner 17th May 17, 8:18 PM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 793 Thanks
    hollie.weimeraner
    • 17th May 17, 8:18 PM
    • 17th May 17, 8:18 PM
    Originally posted by Poppycat
    Likewise I have had one of these for years and it's never let me down. Plugs into 12v socket and has a good long lead. Also used it as an emergency warning light when I hit a pothole one night.
    • victor2
    • By victor2 17th May 17, 8:23 PM
    • 4,679 Posts
    • 3,114 Thanks
    victor2
    • 17th May 17, 8:23 PM
    • 17th May 17, 8:23 PM
    What makes you think you need an air compressor?
    Buy a pressure gauge to check your tyres and pump them up at a garage when needed, which won't be very often (unless you have a slow puncture) and is is unlikely to cost you more than £1 to do all four tyres.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 17th May 17, 8:37 PM
    • 5,484 Posts
    • 4,966 Thanks
    Herzlos
    • 17th May 17, 8:37 PM
    • 17th May 17, 8:37 PM
    For the size/cost of an air compressor it's well worth having. Saves you having to go to a garage with a half flat tyre, and likely more accurate.
    • jayII
    • By jayII 17th May 17, 8:45 PM
    • 39,896 Posts
    • 106,331 Thanks
    jayII
    • 17th May 17, 8:45 PM
    • 17th May 17, 8:45 PM
    I have the above compressor and regularly run it for 10-20 minutes, inflating the tyres of two cars on Saturday mornings. I've owned it for several years never had an issue with it overheating.

Buy a pressure gauge to check your tyres and pump them up at a garage when needed, which won't be very often (unless you have a slow puncture) and is is unlikely to cost you more than £1 to do all four tyres.
    Originally posted by victor2
    Compressors are really useful to own, especially if you don't have a garage near enough to get to whilst your tyres are still cold. My nearest (and inconvenient) garage is 10 miles away and I usually get petrol at a garage on the way to work--20 miles from home and 4 miles from work, so without a compressor at home I'd have to hang around there whilst my tyres cool down, to inflate them there.
    Last edited by jayII; 17-05-2017 at 8:47 PM.

29.7.17 Total debt: £18,848.14 / Int: £116.45 / DFD July 2019

1.8.17 Paid: £8,504.36 /
    Debt: £10,343.78 / Int: £0 / DFD Jan 2019 (last payment £345.70)

• neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 17th May 17, 9:15 PM
    • 9,853 Posts
    • 6,856 Thanks
    neilmcl
    I have the above compressor and regularly run it for 10-20 minutes, inflating the tyres of two cars on Saturday mornings. I've owned it for several years never had an issue with it overheating.

Compressors are really useful to own, especially if you don't have a garage near enough to get to whilst your tyres are still cold. My nearest (and inconvenient) garage is 10 miles away and I usually get petrol at a garage on the way to work--20 miles from home and 4 miles from work, so without a compressor at home I'd have to hang around there whilst my tyres cool down, to inflate them there.
    Originally posted by jayII
    Or you could simply check your tyres before you leave home and again at the garage and inflate taking into account the increase in pressure from your journey.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 17th May 17, 9:32 PM
    • 15,190 Posts
    • 8,601 Thanks
    motorguy
    Cheap if you want a small unit that needs a 10 minute rest after 3 minutes of use and can take 20 minutes of constant running to inflate a tyre.

If it cannot run continuously for at least 10 minutes then look for another one.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    ?

I've never had any issues with mine. They'll quite happily buzz along and inflate a tyre in approx 3 mins. Never had issues with them over heating either.

Either you've had
    • an inferior model to the 635
    • a knock off imitation
    • a faulty one
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 17th May 17, 9:35 PM
    • 15,190 Posts
    • 8,601 Thanks
    motorguy
    Originally posted by victor2
    I've had a couple of occasions where i've come out of work to a soft or flat tyre and been able to re-inflate it to enable me to either drive to a tyre repair centre or get me home.

Whilst checking your tyre pressures regularly is prudent, finding you've a puncture is rarely convenient.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 17th May 17, 9:37 PM
    • 15,190 Posts
    • 8,601 Thanks
    motorguy
    Or you could simply check your tyres before you leave home and again at the garage and inflate taking into account the increase in pressure from your journey.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    Or not be a tight !!! and have one of these in your boot for easy checking once a week and to mitigate the risk of returning to your car to find a soft tyre.
    • Jorell00
    • By Jorell00 17th May 17, 9:42 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Jorell00
    I have the compressor in post 2, I've had several air compressors and this is by far the best.
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 17th May 17, 10:24 PM
    • 4,312 Posts
    • 1,591 Thanks
    knightstyle
    I had a Halfords own brand one, cost £12 and it failed after a few months so I bought a Lidl one, £10 and it failed after a few weeks!
    So I now use the garage ones with my own gauge to check.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 17th May 17, 10:29 PM
    • 15,190 Posts
    • 8,601 Thanks
    motorguy
    I had a Halfords own brand one, cost £12 and it failed after a few months so I bought a Lidl one, £10 and it failed after a few weeks!
    So I now use the garage ones with my own gauge to check.
    Originally posted by knightstyle
    Buy cheap, buy twice as they say.
    • KrankieLad
    • By KrankieLad 17th May 17, 10:45 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    KrankieLad
    Thank you for the replies, will go with the recommendations and order one tomorrow!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,724Posts Today

7,978Users online

Martin's Twitter