Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • northwest1965
    • By northwest1965 17th May 17, 6:34 PM
    • 1,735Posts
    • 4,540Thanks
    northwest1965
    0 WOW
    Vietnam expert please
    • 17th May 17, 6:34 PM
    0 WOW
    Vietnam expert please 17th May 17 at 6:34 PM
    We are just starting to think about 2018 holidays and it seems Vietnam is appealing to us both. We're in our 50's and are experienced travellers. Having said that, we have played it safe and been to lots of Europe and all over the US.

We have 14 days (possibly could stretch to 15/16).

Would not want to do overnight train travel and prefer a bit of luxury with hotels (when i say luxury, I mean a nice bed and clean)

So with that in mind, are we being too adventurous by thinking Hanoi/Ho Chi Minh Cityand possibly a beach area Da Nang?

Thanks
    Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!
Page 1
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 17th May 17, 6:46 PM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 1,189 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    • 17th May 17, 6:46 PM
    • 17th May 17, 6:46 PM
    Depends on the budget.

Strongly advise against train or coach between long distances. Vietnam Airlines are probably he best operator for internal flights, you could go vietjet but are prone to delays.

Plenty to do in Hanoi/HCM.

Da Nang has some really top hotels, you can pay anywhere up to £300 a night, possibly more. Its a great place to chill out, visit Hoi An, but I would not spend more than 5 nights there.
    • northwest1965
    • By northwest1965 17th May 17, 6:51 PM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 4,540 Thanks
    northwest1965
    • 17th May 17, 6:51 PM
    • 17th May 17, 6:51 PM
    I forgot to also ask, the best time to go. Looking at info it's either April or September?
    • northwest1965
    • By northwest1965 17th May 17, 6:53 PM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 4,540 Thanks
    northwest1965
    • 17th May 17, 6:53 PM
    • 17th May 17, 6:53 PM
    Depends on the budget.

Strongly advise against train or coach between long distances. Vietnam Airlines are probably he best operator for internal flights, you could go vietjet but are prone to delays.

Plenty to do in Hanoi/HCM.

Da Nang has some really top hotels, you can pay anywhere up to £300 a night, possibly more. Its a great place to chill out, visit Hoi An, but I would not spend more than 5 nights there.
    Originally posted by parking_question_chap
    Don't really have a budget, but would definitely want to fly internally
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 17th May 17, 7:35 PM
    • 4,677 Posts
    • 3,816 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    • 17th May 17, 7:35 PM
    • 17th May 17, 7:35 PM
    Yes, I would avoid long distances buses or trains unless you want a really "authentic" uncomfortable experience. Internal flights are very cheap though you have to treat their schedules with a pinch of salt as delays are common especially in the rainy season. I have used Vietnam Airlines and VietJet. Both a very good with modern fleets.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 17th May 17, 9:45 PM
    • 4,380 Posts
    • 5,539 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    • 17th May 17, 9:45 PM
    • 17th May 17, 9:45 PM
    Agree with Doshwaster. Vietnam Air and Vietjet are fine. Most problems and delays are weather related and unavoidable.

Try and get early morning internal fights, less chance of delays, and less time wasted hanging around.

Make sure you use the airline official website, and not one of the many look-alike websites.

Don't be tempted to try and fit too much in.....more = less.

Great country, great people.....too many two-wheelers.
    • prenton01
    • By prenton01 18th May 17, 8:07 AM
    • 167 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    prenton01
    • 18th May 17, 8:07 AM
    • 18th May 17, 8:07 AM
    Love the place.

Ho Chi Minh 4 days i recommend.
    If you want 5 star hotel for around £120 a night keep an eye on for deals for this place
    https://saigon.newworldhotels.com/en/
    We have also stayed here a lot cheaper but a fantastic 3/4 star http://www.saigonhotel.com.vn/

i booked everything separate used Vietnam airlines but coming back from the beach side of things i would recommend coming back to Ho Chi Minh a day early and staying over a night as delays can be a major problem on internal airlines.
    Our 2nd trip we booked a flight for 12 midday so that we could pop to market get some goodies and catch evening flight home at 9pm

We didn't arrive in to HCM until 6pm
    No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,559Posts Today

8,590Users online

Martin's Twitter