Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jiggysaw
    • By Jiggysaw 17th May 17, 6:30 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jiggysaw
    Advice needed
    • 17th May 17, 6:30 PM
    Advice needed 17th May 17 at 6:30 PM
    Been on the horrendous barbaric universal credit for 6 months and there is a possibility of a 3 week post starting on monday.

If i were to get it and do it how does it affect my universal credit?

I was on JSA which was much more manageable but when i finished my last job last year i had to wait an utterly disgusting 7 weeks before i got a cent of universal credit. I really want the post if offered it but is it going to really affect the universal credit when i go back on?

Any advice really appreciated,
Page 1
    • pioneer22
    • By pioneer22 17th May 17, 6:35 PM
    • 402 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    pioneer22
    • 17th May 17, 6:35 PM
    • 17th May 17, 6:35 PM
    Been on the horrendous barbaric universal credit for 6 months and there is a possibility of a 3 week post starting on monday.

If i were to get it and do it how does it affect my universal credit?

I was on JSA which was much more manageable but when i finished my last job last year i had to wait an utterly disgusting 7 weeks before i got a cent of universal credit. I really want the post if offered it but is it going to really affect the universal credit when i go back on?

Any advice really appreciated,
    Originally posted by Jiggysaw
    How many hours is it?
    • Jiggysaw
    • By Jiggysaw 17th May 17, 9:48 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jiggysaw
    • 17th May 17, 9:48 PM
    • 17th May 17, 9:48 PM
    It would be 37 hours a week

3 weeks good money is very appealing but ive heard stories about how terrible universal credit is and am worried if i do it is it going to be literally nothing for weeks on end again
    • Masomnia
    • By Masomnia 17th May 17, 9:58 PM
    • 16,981 Posts
    • 37,441 Thanks
    Masomnia
    • 17th May 17, 9:58 PM
    • 17th May 17, 9:58 PM
    I didn't have a problem with UC.

You just work for the three weeks and then your payment is reduced by something like 65p per £1 but it's according to how much you earn and depending on your circumstances.

If you've been unemployed for 6 months I'd suggest that even if you're no better off it's worth getting something recent on your CV.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 17th May 17, 10:09 PM
    • 3,702 Posts
    • 3,769 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 17th May 17, 10:09 PM
    • 17th May 17, 10:09 PM
    The theory behind UC is that the claim doesn't close even if you start a full time job, unlike JSA where you would have to make a new claim, albeit a Rapid Reclaim, when a short term job ended. Getting money again after the job should be much simpler under UC.
    • Jiggysaw
    • By Jiggysaw 18th May 17, 8:27 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jiggysaw
    • 18th May 17, 8:27 AM
    • 18th May 17, 8:27 AM
    Im willing to work and will take it if offered but strongly feel the state doesnt care if you live or die these days.
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 18th May 17, 3:14 PM
    • 2,582 Posts
    • 3,674 Thanks
    Malthusian
    • 18th May 17, 3:14 PM
    • 18th May 17, 3:14 PM
    Im willing to work and will take it if offered but strongly feel the state doesnt care if you live or die these days.
    Originally posted by Jiggysaw
    Never did. Take the job, do it well, put some money by for a rainy day and you won't have to waste your life energy worrying about it.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 18th May 17, 6:26 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    NeilCr
    • 18th May 17, 6:26 PM
    • 18th May 17, 6:26 PM
    I am no great lover of the current benefits system but could you clarify what is "horrific" and "barbaric" about UC?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

163Posts Today

1,194Users online

Martin's Twitter