Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • deanos
    • By deanos 17th May 17, 6:15 PM
    • 10,720Posts
    • 5,510Thanks
    deanos
    Poundworld not so anymore
    • 17th May 17, 6:15 PM
    Poundworld not so anymore 17th May 17 at 6:15 PM
    I went into Lincoln store today and notice many items are not £1 anymore, i don't mean the managers specials which they have in a special section , isles were full of items priced from 50p upwards most expensive item i saw was £4 , this was all mixed in with the £1 stock, just be careful when buying items folks, someone was at the till complaining they probably didn't notice it had changed , check the tickets

Page 1
    • KrankieLad
    • By KrankieLad 17th May 17, 7:00 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    KrankieLad
    • 17th May 17, 7:00 PM
    • 17th May 17, 7:00 PM
    Exactly the same thing in Bolton today. Popped in for some bits and found nearly 70% of stuff priced over a £1 and all mixed in with other items priced at £1, very confusing. Talked to assistant who always serves me and she said shop had been taken over by someone else and there had been a few unhappy customers in the last few days. She even pointed out how some of the offers they had were cheader in Home Bargains and Poundstretcher! I was not impressed at all and told her I doubt I will return to shop there again.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 17th May 17, 8:20 PM
    • 2,431 Posts
    • 2,519 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 17th May 17, 8:20 PM
    • 17th May 17, 8:20 PM
    Poundland and Poundworld have been sold to South African/US owners respectively and this trend of stocking items over £1 started then. The original owners are now multi-millionaires.

If you have a branch of Savers near you, they often have £1 specials.
    • KrankieLad
    • By KrankieLad 17th May 17, 8:38 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    KrankieLad
    • 17th May 17, 8:38 PM
    • 17th May 17, 8:38 PM
    Poundland and Poundworld have been sold to South African/US owners respectively and this trend of stocking items over £1 started then. The original owners are now multi-millionaires.

If you have a branch of Savers near you, they often have £1 specials.
    Originally posted by LadyDee
    I tend to shop mostly in Home Bargains
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 17th May 17, 8:45 PM
    • 59,874 Posts
    • 350,078 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 17th May 17, 8:45 PM
    • 17th May 17, 8:45 PM
    The trouble is, with the cost of running big shops these days - and prices increasing - any business that started by using a monetary value as their business name was doomed.

Every time they order they are facing reduced choices and options - and that's not what they want. They want to offer a range of stuff.

How they are doing it is "clumsy" though. They really need to rebrand one aisle "Premium" or "Gold Pound" .... something "aspirational" so that people know to expect other prices.

I love Poundland, got one here recently so still popping in for bits and bobs that are "perfect for the job".

I went in for something £2 the other week, but they'd already sold out - ditto with another Poundland I travelled to to see if they had stock.

They also sell my favourite choccies Bit bad really, I was getting through 2-3 packs/week in the few weeks; I used to buy 4/year.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 18th May 17, 5:45 PM
    • 20,205 Posts
    • 12,458 Thanks
    dacouch
    • 18th May 17, 5:45 PM
    • 18th May 17, 5:45 PM
    I noticed my local 99p shop has been taken over by Poundland, I thought to myself...no change there
    • Pound
    • By Pound 18th May 17, 6:48 PM
    • 2,626 Posts
    • 1,302 Thanks
    Pound
    • 18th May 17, 6:48 PM
    • 18th May 17, 6:48 PM
    Poundland have been operating since 1990 and never changed their price from £1. A pound from back then is the equivalent of £2.29 in today's money.

I don't think it would be unreasonable for them to start adjusting their prices for inflation. They could perhaps replace the word 'Pound' in their signs with one of digital displays they have in petrol stations.

• Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 18th May 17, 7:13 PM
    • 17,611 Posts
    • 44,833 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 18th May 17, 7:13 PM
    • 18th May 17, 7:13 PM
    Some Poundworld shops - including ours - have been rebranded 'Poundworld Plus' and sell some goods that are more than £1.
    • Pound
    • By Pound 18th May 17, 7:23 PM
    • 2,626 Posts
    • 1,302 Thanks
    Pound
    • 18th May 17, 7:23 PM
    • 18th May 17, 7:23 PM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceBg62_Q480

• CHRISSYG
    • By CHRISSYG 19th May 17, 8:11 AM
    • 5,603 Posts
    • 16,058 Thanks
    CHRISSYG
    My local Poundworld now have clothing in at various prices. I always buy Johnsons cotton buds from there but I'm sure this last lot are fakes they are so inferior .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,872Posts Today

6,444Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin