Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SunnyMorningDays
    • By SunnyMorningDays 17th May 17, 5:35 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 0Thanks
    SunnyMorningDays
    Postage issues.
    • 17th May 17, 5:35 PM
    Postage issues. 17th May 17 at 5:35 PM
    Hello all - I'm relatively new to eBay (I think I've only bought about three or four items so far) so I'm not really sure what to do in this situation. I ordered an item on Thursday afternoon, and it promised 48 hour delivery.

I got a confirmation email and then a few hours later I got an email stating that the item had been posted. I was away over the weekend as I only really expected the item on Monday (when eBay stated estimated delivery). Well Monday came and went so I decided to check the tracking number provided. According to the Royal Mail website the only tracking information they had is: "we have been notified that your item is being shipped by the retailer; the next scan will appear when we receive this item into our network." I asked the Royal Mail on Twitter and this morning and they said that they don't think the item has been posted yet.

I sent the seller an email asking if they had any more information as I know that the tracking can sometimes be a little wonky. They replied telling me to wait until Friday and then contact them again if it hasn't arrived. They did also state that they'd sent the item.

I guess what I'm asking is - does this sometimes happen with the Royal Mail? I don't want to give them bad feedback if it's out of their control. Do I open a case on Friday if it still hasn't arrived? I decided to use this company primarily because they offered quicker postage. Is this something I should ask eBay about? I feel a little fobbed off but I'm sure that's not their intent.

Thank you everyone.
Page 1
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 17th May 17, 5:56 PM
    • 10,480 Posts
    • 7,042 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 17th May 17, 5:56 PM
    • 17th May 17, 5:56 PM
    Unfortunately it can happen.

RMT scans will show when the item was dispatched. Do you have the tracking number - do you mind sharing it?
    • SunnyMorningDays
    • By SunnyMorningDays 17th May 17, 8:04 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SunnyMorningDays
    • 17th May 17, 8:04 PM
    • 17th May 17, 8:04 PM
    I'm not massively comfortable sharing the tracking number at the moment sorry. It literally only says what I posted in the original post: "Latest update: We have been notified that your item is being shipped by the retailer; the next scan will appear when we receive this item into our network."

When I click "where has my parcel been?" it says: "STATUS: Pre-advice Received".

When I messaged the Royal Mail they said: "According to our info it hasn't yet been posted I'm afraid."
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 17th May 17, 8:55 PM
    • 10,480 Posts
    • 7,042 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 17th May 17, 8:55 PM
    • 17th May 17, 8:55 PM
    It looks like an RMT label. We use RMT (royal mail tracked) which is for businesses. When I print the labels it generates the pre advice. That's similar to what you are saying now - just guessing as I don't see your tracking.

RMT should be (at worse) 3 working days from dispatch, if it's RMT48. Day 1 is the day of dispatch and day 3 the delivery day. That's not guaranteed but IME it is 99% correct.
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 17th May 17, 9:39 PM
    • 10,363 Posts
    • 58,224 Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • 17th May 17, 9:39 PM
    • 17th May 17, 9:39 PM
    Even though the seller is selling it by royal mail 48 (Second class ) on the listing what is the dispatch time??
    Work to live= not live to work
    • SunnyMorningDays
    • By SunnyMorningDays 18th May 17, 11:45 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SunnyMorningDays
    • 18th May 17, 11:45 AM
    • 18th May 17, 11:45 AM
    I'm sorry, I'm not really sure what you mean. Do you mean when eBay estimated delivery? They said this Monday just passed. And the item was sent Thursday afternoon according to the email update.

EDIT: eBay has told me that the seller has update the page, and although I can check the original listing I can't see what they've changed. Is there any way to check this?
    Last edited by SunnyMorningDays; 18-05-2017 at 11:48 AM.
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 18th May 17, 12:52 PM
    • 2,984 Posts
    • 1,739 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 18th May 17, 12:52 PM
    • 18th May 17, 12:52 PM
    I decided to use this company primarily because they offered quicker postage.
    And you've got every right to expect that. It also narks other good sellers who loose out to sellers who lie. When you leave feedback it will ask if you received it by the due date and states that date for you. It will mark them down quite seriously if you say "no". So personally, I would wait until then rather than go phoning round Royal Mail and wasting your time.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • ontheup1972
    • By ontheup1972 18th May 17, 3:29 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    ontheup1972
    • 18th May 17, 3:29 PM
    • 18th May 17, 3:29 PM
    It looks to me like the seller hasn't posted it yet.

This happens far too often on ebay, there are quite a few big sellers out there who sell stuff that they don't immediately have at hand and then send it when it's finally in stock. What makes it worse is when they pretend it's been sent out.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 18th May 17, 3:47 PM
    • 58,759 Posts
    • 41,603 Thanks
    soolin
    • 18th May 17, 3:47 PM
    • 18th May 17, 3:47 PM
    It looks to me like the seller hasn't posted it yet.

This happens far too often on ebay, there are quite a few big sellers out there who sell stuff that they don't immediately have at hand and then send it when it's finally in stock. What makes it worse is when they pretend it's been sent out.
    Originally posted by ontheup1972
    I'm not sure this does happen a lot, in fact with the new defect system I can't see any seller getting away with it for very long without running into issues.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • custardy
    • By custardy 18th May 17, 4:44 PM
    • 32,208 Posts
    • 26,961 Thanks
    custardy
    Even though the seller is selling it by royal mail 48 (Second class ) on the listing what is the dispatch time??
    Originally posted by COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Tracked 48 isnt 2nd class.

OP it sounds like the item hasnt hit the network yet.
    In real terms it hasnt been collected/dropped off at a mail centre from the seller.
    Expect a scan at the first mail centre it gets to and then at the next mail centre (unless you are local to the first mail centre) and then at your local delivery office.
    It is possible a poorly presented item will miss its first scan but by now I would expect it to have arrived/had other network scans.
    • SunnyMorningDays
    • By SunnyMorningDays 18th May 17, 5:20 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SunnyMorningDays
    I just had another look at the tracking. It still says pre-advice recieved, and the circle that says "recieved in to our network" is still white/not greyed out. I'm beginning to suspect that they haven't sent the item.

They're a company and they do have a telephone number listed on their eBay listing. Should I maybe give them a ring tomorrow if it hasn't turned up or is that frowned upon? I know I can open a case on eBay but I'd rather just have the item if I could.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 18th May 17, 5:37 PM
    • 32,208 Posts
    • 26,961 Thanks
    custardy
    I just had another look at the tracking. It still says pre-advice recieved, and the circle that says "recieved in to our network" is still white/not greyed out. I'm beginning to suspect that they haven't sent the item.

They're a company and they do have a telephone number listed on their eBay listing. Should I maybe give them a ring tomorrow if it hasn't turned up or is that frowned upon? I know I can open a case on eBay but I'd rather just have the item if I could.
    Originally posted by SunnyMorningDays
    I would ring them. could be as simple as an admin error.
    Nothing to gain by falsifying the Tracked postage.
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 18th May 17, 10:37 PM
    • 10,363 Posts
    • 58,224 Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Thanks for letting me know. I always thought royal mail 48 was secondclass business.
    Work to live= not live to work
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 19th May 17, 9:51 AM
    • 10,480 Posts
    • 7,042 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Thanks for letting me know. I always thought royal mail 48 was secondclass business.
    Originally posted by COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Royal Mail 48 is second class. RM48

Royal Mail Tracked 48 is a business class fully tracked service. RMT48.
    • SunnyMorningDays
    • By SunnyMorningDays 19th May 17, 12:38 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SunnyMorningDays
    So I decided to give them a quick ring last night - I had a feeling it wouldn't arrive this morning (and it didn't) and they close early on Friday according to their website. I'm glad I did. The gentleman on the phone was very helpful. He tracked the number and saw the same thing that I did. After a few minutes of looking around, he discovered that I'd been given the wrong tracking number.

He gave me the new number and I had a quick look. The item was posted on Monday (so... not quite 48 hours) and it was recieved in to the network and a second scan showed that it was in a distribution centre this morning (when I had another look). Apparently it should turn up tomorrow, or by Monday at the latest - which is when I need it by really.

My final few questions are - should I mark them down for this? The gentleman on the phone was very nice but I can't shake the feeling I wasn't being told the whole truth. The item was clearly only sent on Monday so sending me tracking information on Thursday seems a little disingenuous. I had a quick look at their feedback and it's all very good, most people seem to get speedy service but one negative within the last month mentions that the tracking information was incorrect.

I know selling online can be a hasle but I'm now looking at the item being a week late when I paid for a quicker service. I wouldn't have minded if they'd contacted me an admitted it was going to be a bit late, but then I suppose not everyone would be so relaxed about it.

EDIT: Spelling.
    Last edited by SunnyMorningDays; 19-05-2017 at 12:41 PM.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 19th May 17, 12:44 PM
    • 32,208 Posts
    • 26,961 Thanks
    custardy
    So I decided to give them a quick ring last night - I had a feeling it wouldn't arrive this morning (and it didn't) and they close early on Friday according to their website. I'm glad I did. The gentleman on the phone was very helpful. He tracked the number and saw the same thing that I did. After a few minutes of looking around, he discovered that I'd been given the wrong tracking number.

He gave me the new number and I had a quick look. The item was posted on Monday (so... not quite 48 hours) and it was recieved in to the network and a second scan showed that it was in a distribution centre this morning (when I had another look). Apparently it should turn up tomorrow, or by Monday at the latest - which is when I need it by really.

My final few questions are - should I mark them down for this? The gentleman on the phone was very nice but I can't shake the feeling I wasn't being told the whole truth. The item was clearly only sent on Monday so sending me tracking information on Thursday seems a little disingenuous. I had a quick look at their feedback and it's all very good, most people seem to get speedy service but one negative within the last month mentions that the tracking information was incorrect.

I know selling online can be a hasle but I'm now looking at the item being a week late when I paid for a quicker service. I wouldn't have minded if they'd contacted me an admitted it was going to be a bit late, but then I suppose not everyone would be so relaxed about it.

EDIT: Spelling.
    What is the despatch time on their listings?
    • SunnyMorningDays
    • By SunnyMorningDays 19th May 17, 3:45 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SunnyMorningDays
    Sorry I think you asked this earlier - I'm not sure what the dispatch time is or how to find it? The listing has been updated since I bought it as well so if it did say then it doesn't look like it does now.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 19th May 17, 3:56 PM
    • 10,480 Posts
    • 7,042 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    If you go to your purchase history, it will show the item and the description etc that was as per the time of your order. It isn't relevant what happens to a listing after you buy. The seller cannot change the details as per the moment of order.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 19th May 17, 3:56 PM
    • 32,208 Posts
    • 26,961 Thanks
    custardy
    Sorry I think you asked this earlier - I'm not sure what the dispatch time is or how to find it? The listing has been updated since I bought it as well so if it did say then it doesn't look like it does now.
    Look in the postage & payments section.

Eg "Will usually dispatch within 3 working days of receiving cleared payment "

A 48 hour service is what it is. however it depends how long the seller states it may take to post.
    • SunnyMorningDays
    • By SunnyMorningDays 19th May 17, 4:04 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SunnyMorningDays
    Just had a look. The postage and payments section lists click and collect and where they will post to (which countries). Nothing about the time it will take to dispatch.

It then goes on to explain that PayPal is preferred and whatnot but nothing else really.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

400Posts Today

4,668Users online

Martin's Twitter