Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bostonerimus
    • By bostonerimus 17th May 17, 5:17 PM
    • 342Posts
    • 185Thanks
    bostonerimus
    Rules for Financial Independence
    • 17th May 17, 5:17 PM
    Rules for Financial Independence 17th May 17 at 5:17 PM
    Here is a basic set of rules that I've followed for the past 30 years and I offer them for criticism and comment. They have kept my blood pressure low and allowed me to become financially independent.

1) Spend less than you make (ie Mr Mcawber had it right) and do a detailed budget to track spending
    2) Save 6 months spending to an emergency cash account
    3) Max out your workplace pension, LISA, SIPP etc
    4) Buy low cost diversified investment funds like Vanguard LifeStrategy or an asset allocation with index funds and rebalance
    5) Avoid individual shares and actively managed funds, they are expensive and often risky.
    6) Avoid high interest debt, pay off the credit card in full each month
    7) Try to save 20% of your gross salary, hard I know but start with something and work your way up
    8) Maximize ISA then go onto regular investing accounts...still only using low cost index funds
    9) Be cynical about advice and educate yourself, read the bogleheads.org wiki
    10) Don't fret about performance.
Page 1
    • GarthThomas
    • By GarthThomas 17th May 17, 7:32 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    GarthThomas
    • 17th May 17, 7:32 PM
    • 17th May 17, 7:32 PM
    I'd ad one that you've missed along with most others, which is to take a look at how you can make yourself valuable to employers. It's an awful lot easier to achieve financial security of you earn £50,000 per year than if you earn £20,000.

Most people could be earning a lot more if they set their mind to it, and you should put at least as much effort into planning your career as you do into planning your investments.
    • Linton
    • By Linton 17th May 17, 8:40 PM
    • 7,910 Posts
    • 7,710 Thanks
    Linton
    • 17th May 17, 8:40 PM
    • 17th May 17, 8:40 PM
    Here is a basic set of rules that I've followed for the past 30 years and I offer them for criticism and comment. They have kept my blood pressure low and allowed me to become financially independent.

1) Spend less than you make (ie Mr Mcawber had it right) and do a detailed budget to track spending
    2) Save 6 months spending to an emergency cash account
    3) Max out your workplace pension, LISA, SIPP etc
    4) Buy low cost diversified investment funds like Vanguard LifeStrategy or an asset allocation with index funds and rebalance
    5) Avoid individual shares and actively managed funds, they are expensive and often risky.
    6) Avoid high interest debt, pay off the credit card in full each month
    7) Try to save 20% of your gross salary, hard I know but start with something and work your way up
    8) Maximize ISA then go onto regular investing accounts...still only using low cost index funds
    9) Be cynical about advice and educate yourself, read the bogleheads.org wiki
    10) Don't fret about performance.
    Originally posted by bostonerimus
    Add to (1) and remove (7) Dont increase your standard of living in line with rising income. Invest the increased spare money.
    Add (2.5) Define your life objectives and hence your financial objectives. If you want financial independence as soon as possible make it an explicit objective.

Replace (4) and (5) with

4) Treat all simple packaged investment strategies with scepticism. They all have advantages, limitations and drawbacks - identify and understand them.
    5) Choose appropriate level of savings, investment strategies and investments to meet your defined objectives

8) Remove final phrase. It's covered by (5)

9) Replace final phrase with: dont waste time reading that only serves to confirm your previously held opinions. Your reading should teach you something new. Knowledge is power.

Add:
    11) Acquire a spouse - double the income and tax allowances without doubling the cost.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 17th May 17, 8:59 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,487 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 17th May 17, 8:59 PM
    • 17th May 17, 8:59 PM
    As far as I can tell, Warren Buffett just try to get other people to do the work. When he needs another car, he asks his daughter to get a second hand one. Once he buys a company, he lets them get on with it.

I would love it if I could just hand my money over to somebody I can trust, knowing I will be in clover in twenty years time. If that were true, I would roam the world like a hippy, and come back to a comfortable retirement, having flouted all the rules.

Theoretically, a good financial adviser will take your money and grow it, because he should know a lot more than you do. Sadly, even forty years ago, there were stories of accountants running away with your money.

We need more Quakers.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,801Posts Today

9,409Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Emloy93: @MartinSLewis I did this! It 100% works ????????

• RT @Photo_Pete: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, I'll renew mine before my 24th in September!

• Tell any 23 yr olds... you're allowed to buy a 3 year 16-25 railcard the day before your 24th birthday then it's valid until ur almost 27 RT

• Follow Martin